GDT: 2023-24 Western Conference Quarter Finals LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm game 2 Edmonton leads 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
The top line willed their way to a win. The rest of the lineup was rather putrid, especially the special teams play, which is really what Edmonton will heavily lean on to win games.

Getting an edge with home-ice advantage is nice, but the Kings have blown series leads to these Oilers in the last two years, and Talbot is going to have to pull a rabbit out of his ass and attempt to suck less than the guy in the opposite net.
You are not wrong. But one area the rest of the lineup at least cleaned up was in their own slot and breaking out. They got sticks on a lot of pucks in front of their own net and got to chip it and get out of their zone. Game one Edmonton was keeping a lot of plays alive offensively and getting enough time and pressure to set up at the back door. So thats step one they figured out. If they can put together good special teams and offensive zone pressure from more lines that would be nice.

kingbrath

Jul 15, 2002
Calgary, AB
Visit site
I'm pretty sure he was just trying to get a touch on it somehow and it turned into a favorable deflection.

I'm also glad I stuck to the Kings broadcast cuz holy shit the crew on TBS were awful. The replays on the US broadcasts have been terrible for the whole post season, especially ESPN.
Was going to mention this, TBS crew was hard to sit through. That one guys voice was irritating

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Talbot's career playoff stats.

33 Starts, 16-17 record, 2.65 GAA, .917 SV%

You have to stick with him.
Now do Dave's.

All I'm saying is that most coaches aren't going away from their #1 goalie after a win when the other option isn't exactly a world beater either. If it doesn't work, the coach gets crucified.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
PLD is tied for 6th in hits these playoffs and everyone above him (Minus the other LAK's who are in the top 4) has played in 3 games compared to his 2.

Laf - 14 hits
Englund - 14 hits
PLD - 13 hits

PL is also tied for 4th on the team in shots on goal. He's been a lot better these playoffs. Not to mention him drawing that McDavid penalty.

gettyimages-2149876546-2048x2048.jpg

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Felt great and I applaud the bounce back effort, but we were tied 1-1 the last two years going into game 3, with last's year win coming in overtime too. Gotta hope the room has learned how to drive a stake through the heart of Edmonton, but I'm still doubtful.
Yep, doesn’t prove a thing until they can actually get it done. Oilers still can out score their bad goaltending. Don’t think LA can tho.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I thought that hit was bad. Hard to say where point of contact was but shoulder to face was pretty obvious. Didn’t Phil have a broken jaw this season? Was it stitches? Something?
I was watching the TBS feed and none of the commentators said anything about the point of primary contact which was to the jaw. They showed the slo-mo replay from the side and it was shoulder to jaw. Obviously Danault was in a vulnerable position and set himself up for a heavy hit, but it was Hyman's responsibility to avoid the head and he didn't do it.

The SN replay is embedded here:

I'm sure the league isn't going to do anything, but by the books they should.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I was watching the TBS feed and none of the commentators said anything about the point of primary contact which was to the jaw. They showed the slo-mo replay from the side and it was shoulder to jaw. Obviously Danault was in a vulnerable position and set himself up for a heavy hit, but it was Hyman's responsibility to avoid the head and he didn't do it.

The SN replay is embedded here:

I'm sure the league isn't going to do anything, but by the books they should.
It was a perfectly clean hit, don't whine about it like Oiler fans.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Wasn't quiet last night, he was clearly the team's best defenseman.

I thought Doughty’s highs were higher and his lows were far lower.

Spence though, consistently caught my eye in good ways. An assist from the point, solid board work, puck retrieval, handled Oilers forecheck quite well. I was surprised he only played about 15 minutes for all the times I noticed him.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
PLD is tied for 6th in hits these playoffs and everyone above him (Minus the other LAK's who are in the top 4) has played in 3 games compared to his 2.

Laf - 14 hits
Englund - 14 hits
PLD - 13 hits

PL is also tied for 4th on the team in shots on goal. He's been a lot better these playoffs. Not to mention him drawing that McDavid penalty.

View attachment 859396
It was a dive. I know every team has a couple guys that embellish. Just hate cheering for them on the kings.
No doubt PLD has been better in the playoffs. Hopefully it continues.

Anyone know what the deal was with Grundstrom?

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
Obviously Grundy isnt ready to go / having issues come back up... I expect that unless he suddenly is, G3 should have Kaliyev back in?

CarlSneep

Feb 26, 2023

Laf - 14 hits
Englund - 14 hits
PLD - 13 hits

View attachment 859396
He's last on the team in CF%, FF%, SCF%, 2nd to last in xGF% and HDCF%, all while starting in the offensive zone the most of any center on the team and while primarily being matched up against Ryan McLeod.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

Laf - 14 hits
Englund - 14 hits
PLD - 13 hits

View attachment 859396
He's paid 8.5 million a year to produce. If he wants to hit and not score or create, let's pay him enforcer or Lizotte money

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Obviously Grundy isnt ready to go / having issues come back up... I expect that unless he suddenly is, G3 should have Kaliyev back in?
Grundy needs to sit in this situation. They have 2 good players they could call up, and even Kaliyev (tho I think he's done as a King).

Spence redeemed himself with that pass on the last goal and his heads up situational awareness. My critique was more of the pairing with England, who I reckon took one too many blows to the head this year.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
He's last on the team in CF%, FF%, SCF%, 2nd to last in xGF% and HDCF%, all while starting in the offensive zone the most of any center on the team and while primarily being matched up against Ryan McLeod.
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story ;)

The playoffs were supposedly why we acquired PLD and he has been underwhelming thus far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad