GDT: 2023-24 Western Conference Quarter Finals LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm game 2 Edmonton leads 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Talbot still has enough in him to platoon. If he had only played 13 less games it would have made him more fresh for the playoffs. Even if Talbot would re-sign for 1 year and expect to be the backup, you still would have to pay him minimum $2 million. If you resign Rittich, he will command at least a multi-year deal at $1.5 million minimum per year.
We are still just discussing backups. The plan to platoon Copley and Talbot was misguided in the 1st place. The Kings have blown out the cap and still dont have a valid starting goalie. Thats why the PLD decision was so bad. The proper thing to do was trade or sign an FA starting goalie, and then figure out what you have left to get yourself a center.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The goaltending has been suspect for 3 straight seasons...almost as an after thought. What contender goaltending duo totals 2mil aav combined? Not even the tanking lottery teams have anything close to that level of thrift. A contender should spend at least 5m for a decent starter - and sure then get a Talbot as your solid 20 game backup that could fresh enough to fill in during playoffs in an emergency.. but this situation is unheard of - prob in history of the league.
If I'm Blake, I would re-sign Rittich to be the backup(with the intentions of giving him even more starts as the backup), but trade for a #1 type goalie with playoff experience. I said before, if ya want to move out PLD(retained portion in cap hit will have to be involved) you could do it for Darcy Kuemper(Charlie Lindgren has made Darcy Kuemper expendable and the Caps have an playoff MVP goalie/best goalie in the AHL this season to come up and backup Lindgren). Something I have noticed about goalies the Kings have acquired in years past(including this season as well), goalies regular season numbers have improved a good deal from their previous team.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
200w.gif

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The top line willed their way to a win. The rest of the lineup was rather putrid, especially the special teams play, which is really what Edmonton will heavily lean on to win games.

Getting an edge with home-ice advantage is nice, but the Kings have blown series leads to these Oilers in the last two years, and Talbot is going to have to pull a rabbit out of his ass and attempt to suck less than the guy in the opposite net.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
We are still just discussing backups. The plan to platoon Copley and Talbot was misguided in the 1st place. The Kings have blown out the cap and still dont have a valid starting goalie. Thats why the PLD decision was so bad. The proper thing to do was trade or sign an FA starting goalie, and then figure out what you have left to get yourself a center.
Talbot was somewhat of a desperate/last resort signing by Blake. Kuemper/Campbell were the 2 big FA goalies 2 seasons ago(1 has been beaten out by a backup and the other fell out of the league) and last offseason it wasn't good and the same goes for this offseason. I'm not sure if PLD getting that big contract was part of the trade getting done or Blake just giving PLD the big incentive that he would be paid like a top center? The contract length and annual amount were not warranted based on PLD's rep and offensive production. It was a knee jerk reaction to how the Oilers were killing us the past 2 post seasons with offensive players. Jonathan Quick blindsided the team in how to find good #1 goaltending via free agency/trade. Blake didn't(and still might not know how) know how go about it replacing Quick, since their goaltending depth was so bad. Portillo fell into the Kings lap being a 3rd round pick bargain, as the Sabres have multiple good goalie prospects. He will have to be the Kings future #1 for now(his rookie AHL season was very promising, but we have to see how he progresses cooking with the Reign). To get a #1 next season via trade, Blake will have to somehow miraculously become creative(most of the time you have to give up something good to trade for something good).

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I really think adding Thomas to the line up next game while might not be a big addition, I think his energy can awaken those who are trying to find their game still so I think there’s a big payoff.

I personally have zero interest in seeing grundstrom play another game. Hes way too uninvolved in big games. It sucks because he has a good shot and he’s strong but he rarely uses his size and is mostly absent.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The top line willed their way to a win. The rest of the lineup was rather putrid, especially the special teams play, which is really what Edmonton will heavily lean on to win games.

Getting an edge with home-ice advantage is nice, but the Kings have blown series leads to these Oilers in the last two years, and Talbot is going to have to pull a rabbit out of his ass and attempt to suck less than the guy in the opposite net.
Kings did a better job reducing the shots against for Talbot(44 in Game 1 to 31 in Game 2), but they have to do more in not allowing the Oilers to use their speed. The Oilers speed and Talbot's fatigue are giving Talbot issues on some of the shots he should be stopping but are going in the net.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I have to backtrack a bit on Rittich. It alluded me that he has a shutout against the Oilers this season, but I might add the other game he played against them he gave up 4 goals. If the fatigue continues to show for Talbot in Game 3, where the Kings lose the game and it was evident Talbot still hasn't stopped the ones he should, then Rittich might actually be a valid option for Game 4, despite his lack of playoff experience.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I don't want to hear anyone question Kopitar's leadership. How many times is he a key part of a winning or tying goal in big situations? Leads on the ice. Nobody handles big moments better than this guy.
He doesn’t fight or throw lots of hits so his leadership sucks. Nothing else he does , on or off the ice, matters.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I really think adding Thomas to the line up next game while might not be a big addition, I think his energy can awaken those who are trying to find their game still so I think there’s a big payoff.

I personally have zero interest in seeing grundstrom play another game. Hes way too uninvolved in big games. It sucks because he has a good shot and he’s strong but he rarely uses his size and is mostly absent.
Big addition? Yes/no. If he adds a bit of spark and chemistry it’s potentially a huge addition even without scoring a single point. If it gets that line going, to provide some energy whilst annoying the likes of McDavid then it might be important. They need to be able to roll all 4 lines without trying to protect anyone.

Last edited:

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
If I'm Blake, I would re-sign Rittich to be the backup(with the intentions of giving him even more starts as the backup), but trade for a #1 type goalie with playoff experience. I said before, if ya want to move out PLD(retained portion in cap hit will have to be involved) you could do it for Darcy Kuemper(Charlie Lindgren has made Darcy Kuemper expendable and the Caps have an playoff MVP goalie/best goalie in the AHL this season to come up and backup Lindgren). Something I have noticed about goalies the Kings have acquired in years past(including this season as well), goalies regular season numbers have improved a good deal from their previous team.
Kuemper is done as an NHL goalie. No need to acquire an older version of Cal Petersen.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I don't even know why he was dressed if he's only going to play him 25 seconds for a 60-minute game. I agree he has peaks and valleys in performance, but how is anyone supposed to get going?

Especially when the coaching staff preaches "different minutes", meaning they'll still get on the ice regularly so they aren't cold.

Is there anything the organization can adhere to? That didn't even last 3 months.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
What a relief. It wasn't always pretty but a win is a win. Kopi, Doughty and Kempe all awesome. Big game from Byfield too.

Both goalies are bad but at least Talbot had a couple of big saves. I can't remember any by Skinner.

What's up with Grundström? Only played a single shift, it seems. 25 seconds. Was the shift that bad or did he get injured? I almost wanna go back and look at it.

I really want to see more from Fiala. Glad he got a goal but it was pretty lucky. Fiala can be so damn good, I know he's got it in him. Just unleash it!

Regarding PLD, not much needs to be said.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
He doesn’t fight or throw lots of hits so his leadership sucks. Nothing else he does , on or off the ice, matters.
I don’t think anyone has ever said that. Has his leadership style been questioned? Absolutely, but I don’t think anyone has ever questioned that he is one of the best players the Kings have ever had.

I don't even know why he was dressed if he's only going to play him 25 seconds for a 60-minute game. I agree he has peaks and valleys in performance, but how is anyone supposed to get going?

Especially when the coaching staff preaches "different minutes", meaning they'll still get on the ice regularly so they aren't cold.

Is there anything the organization can adhere to? That didn't even last 3 months.
I didn’t see his one shift. Did he have a blatant giveaway or something to be benched?

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I don’t think anyone has ever said that. Has his leadership style been questioned? Absolutely, but I don’t think anyone has ever questioned that he is one of the best players the Kings have ever had.

I didn’t see his one shift. Did he have a blatant giveaway or something to be benched?
I was being heavily sarcastic… it’s a British thing… but at times he’s been called a bad leader/Captain most definitely. Given we don’t have any visibility of the room it really is something we cannot judge. I prefer to listen to the players, not just what they say but how they say it. I don’t think there’s an issue personally based on how the players talk about him.

I do think there is a gap in the leadership group for someone fiery etc. However it doesn’t diminish anything that Kopi is. Nobody can bring it all.

Reactions: Surf Nutz

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Question - did Byfield touch that puck and intentionally deflect it to Kopitar? Were they even trying to spring him with that long bank shot off the boards?

Despite multiple watching the replay, I still can’t discern it.
I think he tipped it to the spot purposely but I don’t think he tipped it directly to Kopi’s stick.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Question - did Byfield touch that puck and intentionally deflect it to Kopitar? Were they even trying to spring him with that long bank shot off the boards?

I'm pretty sure he was just trying to get a touch on it somehow and it turned into a favorable deflection.

I'm also glad I stuck to the Kings broadcast cuz holy shit the crew on TBS were awful. The replays on the US broadcasts have been terrible for the whole post season, especially ESPN.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

I’ve seen one angle where it shows he definitely deflected it. Byfield himself indicated he was trying to prevent an icing, rather than making a play.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Given Grundstrom must be injured I’d have to think either Thomas of Turcotte come in. Both will provide energy and jump. I really like both guys but think Thomas is a better fit for the role.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

Byfield dreamed that play up two weeks ago in the shower while he was singing "The Boys are Back in Town" by Thin Lizzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad