Waived: 2023-24 Waivers Thread

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

1696264572568.png

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
NHL season opens on the 10th when is the last time a team can waive a player to remove him from the roster? IE the day they need to be copliant. the 9th or the 8th? Also on the last day of waivers if a player is claimed I assume the claiming team has to have the roster and cap space to add him? IE they cant claim somebody on the 10th and then waive someone the same day. A team like the Blackhawks should probably waive a extra player or 2 IE carry a 21 man roster so they could add a player if there are any surprise cuts on the last day with so many teams up against the cap. IE either players that have waivers that can go down for one day or someone like Zaitsev that no on would claim at 4.75 MIL

looking at last year players were waived on the 9th claimed on the 10th and the season started on the 11th. So this year the last day to waive a player to not have them on the opening roster is the 8th because it has to be set the 9th, season starts the 10th. last year there were 5 players claimed in total on the 10th and 5 players claimed in total sept 30th- Oct 9th

Last edited:

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
NHL season opens on the 10th when is the last time a team can waive a player to remove him from the roster? IE the day they need to be copliant. the 9th or the 8th? Also on the last day of waivers if a player is claimed I assume the claiming team has to have the roster and cap space to add him? IE they cant claim somebody on the 10th and then waive someone the same day. A team like the Blackhawks should probably waive a extra player or 2 IE carry a 21 man roster so they could add a player if there are any surprise cuts on the last day with so many teams up against the cap. IE either players that have waivers that can go down for one day or someone like Zaitsev that no on would claim at 4.75 MIL

looking at last year players were waived on the 9th claimed on the 10th and the season started on the 11th. So this year the last day to waive a player to not have them on the opening roster is the 8th because it has to be set the 9th, season starts the 10th. last year there were 5 players claimed in total on the 10th and 5 players claimed in total sept 30th- Oct 9th

Rosters are due 5pm on the 9th (based on past precedent - I actually haven't seen an official deadline)

So to avoid being on the roster, they need to be waiver 2pm on the 8th, so that they are either claimed or cleared 2pm on the 9th.
A team can still waiver a player on the 9th, but that player would count as on the roster for cap purposes at the 5pm deadline (unless there's a specific opening night exception I'm missing)

Teams can claim players on the 9th and add them in time to be on the opening roster

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Seems like a big list. I wonder if anyone gets claimed?
I think at some point, Calgary claims a forward. With Pelletier and Rooney being out long-term, we basically have 14 forwards left in camp and that includes Adam Klapka, Cole Schwindt, Dryden Hunt, Adam Ruzicka, Walker Duehr & Matt Coronato. IMO they can do much better than Klapka and Schwindt, and Hunt should only be the 13th forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad