2023-24 SPHL Season Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
S/T to @JDogindy for started next season's convo ...
Not even the dearth (and death) that was the Boob-Cats slowed the league down.

But... Let's get down to brass tactics; Macon is still in rough shape. Attendance is bad, the team has struggled on the ice the past few seasons and they're bleeding money. Do they hold on for one more season?

The abject failure of Vermilion County will likely scare off the league from sudden expansion, although they still would like that scalene triangle of Quad City, Peoria, and Evansville to have someone else to travel with, and markets that could work either are oversaturated, don't have viable venues, or are Bloomington, Illinois. Meanwhile, the rest of the south is being fought over in a rather stupid turf war with the FPHL with that league claiming Baton Rouge and a transient town in eastern Virginia as it's own for their next silly season.

So... Who knows what happens next.

Reactions: Roadhog

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
The league "realised" its name doesn't fit its footprint anymore and will now be known solely by its acronym.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The league "realised" its name doesn't fit its footprint anymore and will now be known solely by its acronym.

To be regionally accurate, they "realiZed" their oversight in this matter. They don't plan to stop using Zeds until they expand to Canada. That's their 30th Anniversary plan. :popcorn:

• Haha
Reactions: FrHockeyFan

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
To be regionally accurate, they "realiZed" their oversight in this matter. They don't plan to stop using Zeds until they expand to Canada. That's their 30th Anniversary plan. :popcorn:
Pardon my French. It does leak through every now and again😂

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
BREMNER’S CONTRACT EXTENDED THROUGH 2025-2026
AUGUST 4, 2023

The Rail Yard Dawgs announced August 8, 2023 that head coach Dan Bremner’s contract has been extended through the 2025-2026 season.

Bremner assumed the head coach role with the team in December of 2017. Not only has the team secured a playoff spot each season under Bremner’s leadership, Bremner has also coached the Dawgs to two back to back championship appearances, first in 2021-2022 and then again in 2022-2023. The team won their first ever SPHL President’s Cup in 2022-2023. ...

Read more at: BREMNER’S CONTRACT EXTENDED THROUGH 2025-2026 | RYD

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
This is a pleasant surprise ...
Rivermen to play exhibition game in Clarksville, Tennessee
AUGUST 29, 2023 - 09:55 AM
JASON RUFF

Rivermen vs Havoc in Clarksville.jpeg

Clarksville, Tenn. (August 25, 2023) – Professional hockey is coming to Clarksville as the Peoria Rivermen and the Huntsville Havoc faceoff in Southern Professional Hockey League preseason game at F&M Bank Arena in Clarksville, Tenn., on Friday, Oct. 13 at 7:15 p.m. CT. ...

“We’re excited to showcase the Huntsville Havoc organization and the SPHL in Clarksville,” Huntsville Havoc Executive General Manager Glenn Detullo said. “Having the opportunity to play Peoria will be a great way to showcase the SPHL. We’re looking forward to seeing F&M Bank Arena and putting on a show for the fans!” ...

Read more at: Rivermen to Play Exhibition Game in Clarksville, TN

Reactions: Roadhog

Tie Probert

Sep 9, 2023

And similar to how everyone still calls the ECHL "the coast" 20 years after the name change, the SPHL will continue to be called the Southern Pro Hockey League for the next 20+ years if they make it.

Tie Probert

Sep 9, 2023
The one I always liked was "Shitty Pond Hockey League."
LOL. I once worked with a guy who told me he played a few games in net for the Knoxville IceBears. I looked for him on hockeydb and he wasn't there. I have wondered ever since, why would someone lie about playing in the SPHL instead of making it a cool lie.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
LOL. I once worked with a guy who told me he played a few games in net for the Knoxville IceBears. I looked for him on hockeydb and he wasn't there. I have wondered ever since, why would someone lie about playing in the SPHL instead of making it a cool lie.
Many hockey players are pathological liars. That's what makes them such natural HFBoards posters. ;)

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

It's like they don't know those sites exist.

It's somewhere between tragically funny and pathetic. Having worked in both sports and journalism, I know where to look. People make these claims to have played somewhere, and I look them up. I once had an off-ice official tell me he was a middle infielder in the Baltimore Orioles organization. He wasn't. Several people have made claims about playing pro hockey. They didn't. The fiancee of a law school classmate told me he played on the PGA Tour. She believed him. I didn't, and I looked him up, and he had made a couple of starts... on the Hooters Tour.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... The fiancee of a law school classmate told me he played on the PGA Tour. She believed him. I didn't, and I looked him up, and he had made a couple of starts... on the Hooters Tour.
On the bright side, he got coupons for free wings when he made the cut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad