GDT: 2023-24 season game 70 LA Kings vs Tampa Bay Lightning @7:30pm 3/23/24

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
GJaPuTrbkAAEmiJ
Personally like to see Automated lasers on the Bluelines that picks up the puck and skate! Of course the skate and puck would have microchips! And it would remove 2 bodies in an already congested ice surface...then the NHL can talk about 4 on 4 hockey baby with no OT's until the play-offs that was f***ing exciting not this version of OT which most of the time is a snore and bore

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Yeah, hopefully Hiller had a wake up call that you don’t immediately give up the offensive forecheck with a lead and not expect the opposition to start taking chances. I have no idea how any coach thinks that was a good idea. Coaches are definitely a lot dumber than people give them credit for.

3-1? Sweet, now let’s stop all offensive forecheck and give them all the opportunity to attack.

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
Biggest thing I took away from this game is how one phantom/bad call can effect the entire outcome of a game. Outside of that, LA did themselves no favors by falling back and I would have put money on them losing in OT.

The offside call looked good in real time, and I agree that in a close situation like that where there is a very high likelihood of a scoring chance, the play should continue and be challenged later.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Biggest thing I took away from this game is how one phantom/bad call can effect the entire outcome of a game. Outside of that, LA did themselves no favors by falling back and I would have put money on them losing in OT.

The offside call looked good in real time, and I agree that in a close situation like that where there is a very high likelihood of a scoring chance, the play should continue and be challenged later.

Yeah i feel if ti's that close let them challenge it.

We're not talking about Duchene clearly 5 ft offside here, we're talking about milimeters of puck control, sucks being on the ass side of that

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Yeah i feel if ti's that close let them challenge it.

We're not talking about Duchene clearly 5 ft offside here, we're talking about milimeters of puck control, sucks being on the ass side of that
It seemed to me like a game management call. If the score was closer they dont blow the whistle.

• Haha
Reactions: Surf Nutz

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Perhaps an unpopular opinion

If it's THAT close... I don't care if a guy is offside.

As long as it's not by a full stride or stick length and completely obvious I'm perfectly find with the entire hockey world just agreeing to err on the side of potential offense.

I love defense and I don't subscribe to the idea that more goals is necessarily better but if a team is on a rush and the momentum is headed in one direction I don't want to be constantly wasting time determining if the letter of the law was being upheld to microscopic degrees.

Let 'em play.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
How far away are we from an eye-in-the-sky making all of the calls and simply communicating with a couple of guys in stripes to stop the play for whatever the eye-in-the-sky decides?

Hmm, where have I seen that model in use already?
He's been such an inspiration for scorn.. and then over time you just want to find a way not to rag on him anymore... thats where Im at with it. Its like you recalibrate your brain to look for something positive where there is nothing.. like noticing the difference between -2 and -1.

This is like Akil's spin-o-rama to backhand move...

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
Got it, but on such a close EXCITING play where there is the ability of the other team's coach to have it reviewed why blow the whistle?

Yes, this is part of my point of relying on the eye-in-the-sky. If the thinking is the play should continue and be challenged later, why have linesman at all? Since the introduction of coach's challenge on offsides, could an argument be made that more calls are missed or incorrect now than ever before? I think so.

Because, you see in this situation with Fiala- the linesman is the one deciding whether or not video review can be used, and NOT actually making an on/offside call like they are supposed to do. That's what really happened there.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

As long as it's not by a full stride or stick length and completely obvious I'm perfectly find with the entire hockey world just agreeing to err on the side of potential offense.

I love defense and I don't subscribe to the idea that more goals is necessarily better but if a team is on a rush and the momentum is headed in one direction I don't want to be constantly wasting time determining if the letter of the law was being upheld to microscopic degrees.

Let 'em play.

Yeah, if you have to freeze frame it to parse a razor blade, it's not worth the review.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

Let 'em play.
i'm 50-50, need to have a rulebook in place or else everything becomes game management but having a goal overturned after minutes of zone time because of a skate blade's length feels really, really bad as a fan and probably as a player too. that arena energy shift isn't a good thing in my opinion and holy shit the "ref you suck" chant that follows makes me want to harm people

i think there's probably some inbetween where within seconds an off-ice official is able to verify every entry and can blow it dead with a horn if it's offside, similar to those boundary plays or missed goals

Reactions: King'sPawn

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Yes, this is part of my point of relying on the eye-in-the-sky. If the thinking is the play should continue and be challenged later, why have linesman at all? Since the introduction of coach's challenge on offsides, could an argument be made that more calls are missed or incorrect now than ever before? I think so.

Because, you see in this situation with Fiala- the linesman is the one deciding whether or not video review can be used, and NOT actually making an on/offside call like they are supposed to do. That's what really happened there.
well, the linesmen probably do need to physically still be on the ice to control red line stuff, drop the puck, watch for bench violations etc. 2 refs trying to restrain 10 grown men in a line brawl probably wouldn't be the best situation for anyone involved

i think removing the linesmen completely would require a whole nother level of video review and i think would be pretty tedious, probably every other dump-in would be called icing by a computer

dabeechman

Sep 12, 2006
It really is not any different than a goal being called back because the puck glanced off a glove 30 seconds prior. I think there needs to be a change in how the rules are established, and I think the on-ice officials are missing too many calls (or making them up as they go).

A 2 minute delay while they check their work may affect the energy in the crowd, but not as much as a missed call that leads to a goal.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
well, the linesmen probably do need to physically still be on the ice to control red line stuff, drop the puck, watch for bench violations etc. 2 refs trying to restrain 10 grown men in a line brawl probably wouldn't be the best situation for anyone involved

i think removing the linesmen completely would require a whole nother level of video review and i think would be pretty tedious, probably every other dump-in would be called icing by a computer

Easier than trying to control 10, 18-20 year olds in a line brawl, I can attest to that....

I was fine with the call in real time, I do think with review in place if they aren't sure, let it go, and maybe they have that mandate, and maybe he was 100% sure, shit happens.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, if you have to freeze frame it to parse a razor blade, it's not worth the review.
When the refs review it, they shouldn't be allowed to freeze frame it or watch it in slow motion. They should have to watch it in real time.

If it's too close to tell in real time, then it doesn't matter enough to have affected the play.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
When the refs review it, they shouldn't be allowed to freeze frame it or watch it in slow motion. They should have to watch it in real time.

If it's too close to tell in real time, then it doesn't matter enough to have affected the play.
Sometimes even a split second can make a difference on how dmen have to back off the blue line which gives the puck carrier more space. It is a game of inches in many ways.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Sometimes even a split second can make a difference on how dmen have to back off the blue line which gives the puck carrier more space. It is a game of inches in many ways.

Absolutely agree, but if they think it's that impactful, they can challenge it

I don't like the 'tie goes to the whistle' method at all, slows the game down and decreases scoring

Reactions: Schmooley

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
Good to see that the KIngs are winning some games. Still doubtfull on far into the playoffs that they can go.

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
can you believe they intentionally acquired matt dumba?
Until the day I die, I'll have a seething hatred for Dumba. 2014 WHL Finals, game 7. Portland is in the final for the third straight year against Edmonton and they've traded off championships. The Winterhawks picked up Dumba to put them over the top, like most legit contenders do. Dumba is in his D+2, 19 going on 20. He's bigger and stronger than everyone. He's played f'ing NHL games earlier in the year. I'm there, pretty good, lower bowl seats near the end the Hawks defend twice, and what I watch play out is one of the worst defensive games by a single player I've ever seen. Dude make so many turnovers, unforced bad passes, that lead directly to like three Oil Kings goals. Curtis f'ing Lazar made this guy look like a child out there and I have to watch the Hawks lose game 7 of the finals for the second time. Dude is the textbook example of "all the tools, no tool box".

Reactions: tny760

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad