GDT: 2023-24 season game 50 LA Kings vs Buffalo Sabres @4:00pm 2/13/24

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The reason why I keep harping on Faber is that the guy who made that trade and demonstrated such short sightedness is still very much in charge. Those awful trades are a key part of the dialogue here, that the teams management makes inept choices that center around elements of the game that just have very little impact on success.

Adding Fiala made no difference at all. Adding Dubois has had no positive effect. Extending Kopitar won't yield any tangible results. Those decisions and their inevitable outcomes SHOULD be the key talking points heading into an offseason in which I expect a change at the top.
I was like you, always hyped about Faber and was disappointed to lose him. His floor at the draft for me was a #3 with a #2 upside and I feel I may have sold him short. I‘ve just drawn a line under it because it depresses me. I actually felt sick this morning when I saw the score. I had such high hopes at one point…

i just feel we’ve done it to death, so I personally try to avoid going over the old ground… but can’t help myself at times… it ruins my mood. However, crack on and do you, I’m good with that especially as I agree with most of it :nod:

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I was like you, always hyped about Faber and was disappointed to lose him. His floor at the draft for me was a #3 with a #2 upside and I feel I may have sold him short. I‘ve just drawn a line under it because it depresses me. I actually felt sick this morning when I saw the score. I had such high hopes at one point…

i just feel we’ve done it to death, so I personally try to avoid going over the old ground… but can’t help myself at times… it ruins my mood. However, crack on and do you, I’m good with that especially as I agree with most of it :nod:
You should try being unhappy with the clowns who are accountable for the mistakes. It’s the easiest way to clear any depression.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Kempe for Saros is a lateral move. Plug one hole and open another. Adding Kaliyev to that deal is definitely not worth it.
Spending prime assets on a goalie that fits under their cap would just be putting lipstick on a pig.
If you are trading Kempe its in a package for a star player or youre trading him to throw in the towel for futures.
It is a step back. Saros will continue to struggle behind this team and the Kings will lose offense.
Ownership needs to realize the Kings don't deserve the playoffs and clean out the front office.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kempe for Saros is a lateral move. Plug one hole and open another. Adding Kaliyev to that deal is definitely not worth it.
Spending prime assets on a goalie that fits under their cap would just be putting lipstick on a pig.
If you are trading Kempe its in a package for a star player or youre trading him to throw in the towel for futures.

He's not saying they should do it. He's saying it's right up this dumbass FO's modus operandi.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Anyone hoping for regime change should not hold their breath. We’re probably 2-3 years away from that happening. Most likely, this year’s team makes the playoffs. The competition is poor enough for this roster to be a good bet for a wild card spot.

Getting out of the first round is currently looking like a bad bet. Hard to see the team from last night going on a semi-heater and into a first round matchup as a strong underdog.

So the most interesting scenario to me is if the team finishes just like the past two seasons. Does out in the first round mean regime change?

I doubt it. I don’t see ownership making a change after a year in the playoffs. The only real question is whether a significant trade is made by the deadline.

Marek posited Kempe for Saros today. The move works from a cap perspective. Kempe is $5.5M for this season plus two more
Saros is $5M for 1.5 seasons. The rumor was Trotz asked for Byfield. So, it’s clear they’re looking for offense.

If it’s done by the kings, there are few reasons it can’t be one for one. But we know Blake loves to strike a loser deal. So, Kempe and another piece should be more than enough. Ideally it would be a slightly overpaid roster piece. But throwing in a high upside piece would fit the pattern of poor evaluation.

My guess is Kempe and Kaliyev for Saros will give Nashville what they’re asking for and give management a feasible route to save all their asses.
I doubt we see any sort of move towards a full rebuild until after Kopi and Drew hang em up. Both players will be difficult to move without heavy retention and the org seems to have way too much respect for their legacies to make them play out their careers on a tanking roster. Even if they let Blake go they will replace him with someone else who will assure ownership that a quick retool is all they need to win one last Cup for 8 and 11.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It was always the destiny of an organization run by the 1999-00 Kings to become the 1999-00 Kings.
So true, it is past the time to blow it up. I would trade Kempe and Moore as well for far better returns than the Kings will get for Doughty and Kopitar.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
What's funny is, when the inevitable tear down begins this summer and the Kings are really bad for the next few seasons and accumulating the type of picks needed to build a true winner he will be on here saying, "Does anyone miss Blake and Todd yet? I hope you are happy, this is what Herby, RJ and Bland all wanted, the worst team in the NHL?"
Being nearly the worst team in the NHL got the Kings Doughty, and being the worst team got the Lightning Stamkos.

Seems to have paid dividends to me.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Yes, that is absolutely what they should do, and I am cautiously optimistic that is what happens beginning this summer, assuming a competent manager is brought in and given a mandate to actually build this thing correctly the way other teams (including this one once upon a time) were built. The only thing I disagree with is I don't see Kopitar traded, I am hoping he retires but he could decide to stay on and collect that $14m he was foolishly gifted by our incompetent GM.

This team is not a contender now and won't be the next two seasons (just to many huge holes that have to be fixed through the draft) and it has many assets in the prime of their careers that could be traded tomorrow for future assets. Guys like Kempe, Moore, Gavrikov, Roy, Fiala, Danault aren't useful for this teams future championship aspirations, but a team that has star players and a solid lineup who needs a piece or two? You bet. They would bring in some really nice secondary assets and picks that are more in the age range of Byfield, Clarke and the really high picks you should plan on having in the 25, 26 and 27 drafts.

Doughty's retention cap hits mean nothing, as the Kings won't be contending for the next 3 years. Trading him accomplishes the goal of making your team worse to draft higher, to open up a permanent spot for someone like Clarke and to officially turn the page on that era of Kings hockey, instead of trying to pretend you can still win with him, you can't. It also lets a guy who clearly wants to win, to go to a team that has a chance to win. I think most people here would love to see Drew win another cup.

I don't know why you (and others) seem to afraid and hesitant to go scorched Earth, it's worked here and it's worked for the teams that have dominated the sport for the last 20 years. Does it have a 100% success rate? No, could we become Buffalo or Ottawa? Yes. But we could also become Pittsburgh, Chicago, Tampa or the Kings, there is a path to a championship that way, there was never a path to a championship with this turn of the century black hole Kings build through trades and free agency path that Blake foolishly went down almost 3 years ago.

Just think if he trades Doughty instead of appeases him, this is your core right now, a mere 3 years later.

High 1st in 2023
Faber
Byfield
Clarke
High first in 2022
Whatever pick you got for Doughty
Anderson
Spence
Vilardi
Kaliyev

It's just sad to think about, yes. But also just know that any year that passes that the Kings delay fixing it is another year that a gap grows between the ages of Clarke/Byfield/Anderson/Spence and the next wave of high picks. If we blow it up this summer the high picks will still be 4-7 years younger than Clarke and Byfield, enough where they can coexist and still have a championship window, if you wait much longer there won't be as much time where they all are in their primes. It's obviously not as ideal as having guys like Faber and whoever they got from Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson/Smith/Michkov and putting them with Clarke and Byfield for a decade, but its still possible.
I think the mental hurdle for the entire organization is to move on from the sacred cows of 8 and 11 and stop pretending they are some sort of core. They are overpaid jersey selling icons that need to be assessed for the their actual value to the team and given roles that are commensurate with their current skillset and not on their bloated salaries. That is step 1. Everything else can follow from there.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I think the mental hurdle for the entire organization is to move on from the sacred cows of 8 and 11 and stop pretending they are some sort of core. They are overpaid jersey selling icons that need to be assessed for the their actual value to the team and given roles that are commensurate with their current skillset and not on their bloated salaries. That is step 1. Everything else can follow from there.
*Looks at the Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series team and where they ALL are now.
1000008739.jpg

This team isn't winning anything as long as Doughty and Kopitar are still here and being relied on as key pieces of the team.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Longterm contracts are the devil. There is this romanticized ideal of players riding off into the sunset with the same team that drafted them, but there is always that ugly epilogue to the careers that frankly would be better spent with another organization so that the memories shouldn't be tarnished.

I'll save the sentimentality for my family and friends. I am spending my money and time on watching a hockey team, I don't give a shit about flowery nonsense. Make smart decisions so my time is respected, don't waste it on pretending we are a "family". We are not.
...and the truth is none of the players give a shit about the fans. Players on good teams want to play well for each other, and this is not a good team, so these guys don't care about the fans or each other.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Being nearly the worst team in the NHL got the Kings Doughty, and being the worst team got the Lightning Stamkos.

Seems to have paid dividends to me.
I don't know if those same complainers remember that we lucked into Byfield via the lottery.

This team never truly got bad enough for long enough to leave the rebuild properly. Doesn't help that they traded a blue chipper for a second rate "star" that cannot be trusted to play when you have a lead over a non playoff squad.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't know if those same complainers remember that we lucked into Byfield via the lottery.

This team never truly got bad enough for long enough to leave the rebuild properly. Doesn't help that they traded a blue chipper for a second rate "star" that cannot be trusted to play when you have a lead over a non playoff squad.

I mean

They went from 2nd to last to 4th to last by beating Ottawa on what ended up being the last game of the season due to covid. that was some dog shit luck...then went back into 2nd on the lottery. So it's not like it was some NYR Lafreniere bullshit magic where they were actually a covid playoff team and won the lottery moving ALL THE WAY up to 1st, they just ended up back where they 'should' have been had the season not arbitrarily ended at the literal worst moment for them.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
The lottery caused them to drop a few spots in 2019 as I recall. Can’t remember but I think they should have picked second but ended up picking fifth. Not that picking Kakko would have been much better than Turcotte.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad