GDT: 2023-24 Season game 4 LA Kings vs Minnesota Wild @5:00pm 10/19/23

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Englund has been such a pleasant surprise. I really hope he can keep it up.

Ngl I was expecting him to be a total plug but he's been pretty solid overall and the physicality has been great.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is really well said.

It's pretty impressive how defensively responsible he is for a 21 year old.

Like you mentioned, we all want to see the points start to show up, want to see him carrying the puck and shooting with more confidence, etc etc. But at the end of the day he helps this team win a lot more than he hurts, which is great.

Especially if he and Laferriere start scoring....... opposing teams are going to be in for a rough time trying to stop all the weapons the Kings have this year.

IO think that's also been his biggest problem, too

He wants so badly to be the stereotypically 'good teammate' that he passes up opportunities for glory to help the team--playing defense, checking tightly, passing the puck. that'll see him with a good long career,

You can't make someone be a cocky asshole unfortunately

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Lol, giving TM credit for something that people on this board have been clamoring for for years
I’m not giving him credit, I’m acknowledging the ridiculous and gross accusations that @chris kontos made at TM in that he has some type of vendetta against Kaliyev and will do nothing but hold him back and bury him the AHL.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
It was such a shame we never saw that line.

Definitely. And they slotted him into a role right away that says "we trust you and believe you're ready" - I really believe that goes a long way with these young players.

Carlsson playing 1st line center with Zegras and Terry on his wings in his debut - That's setting a young player up for success.
They also absolutely suck. You forgot the most important part

Reactions: KopitarGOAT420

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
IO think that's also been his biggest problem, too

He wants so badly to be the stereotypically 'good teammate' that he passes up opportunities for glory to help the team--playing defense, checking tightly, passing the puck. that'll see him with a good long career,

You can't make someone be a cocky asshole unfortunately
Yeah, I agree. But IMO its more about confidence - which certainly could come with time / as the points hopefully start to come.

I think Kopitar's a great example. He's never been a cocky asshole - Yet is a hall of famer who's won 2 stanley cups and a number of other awards/trophies. Byfield can still end up being a great player even if he never ends up fitting that cocky asshole mold.

That said, also think we're starting to see more 'bite' from Byfield. It's been rare and definitely isn't really 'his game' but I'd point out a play from last night where Maroon and Danault were tangled up a bit while skating after the whistle and Byfield noticed and took exception and kinda started skating over like he was going to do something about it. There was a Wild forward who noticed and got in his way (believe it was Dewar) and the two got into a bit of a shoving/face washing match and created a bit of a scrum. It's not much of course, but you do see glimpses of that anger / "don't f**k with me or my teammates" mindset from time to time.

But you're right... Would love to see more of that "killer" / "I'm the best player on the ice" mindset

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
That was a fun game. Team looks good. Room for some improvement.

Sure we'll have something to freak out about tomorrow.

Reactions: Shellz

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4