GDT: 2023-24 season game 20 LA kings vs Washington Capitals @7:30pm 11/29/23

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
No, KP, the Caps played their asses off and let the Kings do whatever they wanted to on the outside for low percentage plays but kept the middle of the ice jammed. Very, very few shots required Lindgren to do anything other than just hold his position as the puck was hoped into him.

Kings were shooting wide and into shin pads all night. They were lucky that Washington's offense was so anemic because apart from the first and last 5 minutes of the game the Kings were badly outworked.
I agree that the Kings passes were a little off and that they looked like they were fighting the puck a bit, but I remember numerous great chances from the Kings just off the top of my head, not including the disallowed goal. Byfield’s point blank chance in the first, Kempe’s breakaway in the second, Kempe’s crossbar in the third. Caps were fortunate.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
I agree that the Kings passes were a little off and that they looked like they were fighting the puck a bit, but I remember numerous great chances from the Kings just off the top of my head, not including the disallowed goal. Byfield’s point blank chance in the first, Kempe’s breakaway in the second, Kempe’s crossbar in the third. Caps were fortunate.
The Kings had a long layoff and looked rusty with the puck while still dominating and getting grade A scoring chances at will. Left handed goalies are the devil for left handed shooters.

That was not a typical Caps game, except for Lindgren playing well.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
if you can't score you CAN keep them out. This is a team that got ZERO goals vs. the oilers and 2 vs. teh Sharks; you're telling me the Kings couldn't keep a lead in a low scoring game vs. a low scoring team that does nothing but collapse and check? That's very telling about their chances vs. playoff hockey.
It's been said a few times that there were breakdowns that were capitalized on.

Goal one was Roy overcommitting to a hit, Lewis overcompensating for the missed hit (which led to a 2-on-1) and Gavrikov failing to cover the pass for the ensuing outnumbered attack.

Three braindead moments from players in which you don't expect it.

Goal two was a combination of bad puck management from Englund and Spence blowing his coverage, leading to a chance in front of the net.

The difference is Lindgren bailed out the lapses from Washington and Talbot didn't. I'm not even saying Talbot played badly - just that he was outplayed by a goalie whose team demanded he stand on his head.

Good teams lose to bad teams. We get rightfully pissed when they lose due to lack of effort. I just don't think this was one of those games.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
The Kings had a long layoff and looked rusty with the puck while still dominating and getting grade A scoring chances at will. Left handed goalies are the devil for left handed shooters.

That was not a typical Caps game, except for Lindgren playing well.
Huh? This was a textbook 2023-24 Caps game.

The Caps are a terrific defensive team. They are in a playoff spot at the moment because of how well they have played in their zone - fewest goals allowed in their division and 2nd fewest in the entire league, behind our boys.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
Huh? This was a textbook 2023-24 Caps game.

The Caps are a terrific defensive team. They are in a playoff spot at the moment because of how well they have played in their zone - fewest goals allowed in their division and 2nd fewest in the entire league, behind our boys.
I live in Virginia and watch them all the time. That is not how the Caps play defense. The Caps couldn't keep up which how the the Kings kept getting great shots right in the slot and close to the goal.

Reactions: Sol and Shellz

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I live in Virginia and watch them all the time. That is not how the Caps play defense. The Caps couldn't keep up which how the the Kings kept getting great shots right in the slot and close to the goal.

Disagree, Kings played like a JV high school team, just complete dog shit, no willingness to fight, no willingness to take an instigator penalty for nothing, no willing to go to the slot and get shots.....just....completely uninterested in this game, they were all on Pier yesterday morning just waiting for the waves....

Reactions: Gjwrams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad