2023-24 Schedule Release

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Weird they're doing a 5:30 start, especially given that matchup. I like the idea, though. NBC tried it, but that was without crowds.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
NHL season ending around April 18. That’s when the Canucks finish their regular season. PO won’t begin til like 22nd most likely. Be lucky if the conference finals end in May.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
NHL season ending around April 18. That’s when the Canucks finish their regular season. PO won’t begin til like 22nd most likely. Be lucky if the conference finals end in May.

With exception of double sweeps, I doubt we see the final begin in May under the deals with ESPN/TNT. Very clear broadcast partners want the Final to start the first weekend in June vs the Memorial Day start the league had under NBC. Which makes sense as they are both also NBA rights holders and the NBA has their Game 7 of the conference finals on Memorial Day weekend.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With exception of double sweeps, I doubt we see the final begin in May under the deals with ESPN/TNT. Very clear broadcast partners want the Final to start the first weekend in June vs the Memorial Day start the league had under NBC. Which makes sense as they are both also NBA rights holders and the NBA has their Game 7 of the conference finals on Memorial Day weekend.
Assum 14 days per round, need 42 days. Will have 9 days in April and 31 in May, for 40 days. So, definitely need 1 round to begin earlier than a 6/7 game series in length.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Assum 14 days per round, need 42 days. Will have 9 days in April and 31 in May, for 40 days. So, definitely need 1 round to begin earlier than a 6/7 game series in length.

Yes, you are looking at a probable June 6 start to the Final ending on June 22. June 26 Draft (assuming they keep the Wednesday date for ESPN). Awards probably during the final like last year when ESPN had the rights.

It looks like the schedule is shifted a little later so ABC can get get certain days without running into conflict with NBA Final (which I presume will start May 30)

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Great! Nashville begins the season with crappy 4:30 and 8:15 PM local start times.

Gary should be happy if nobody puts an open contract out on him.
There are 5 games in between the 4:30 start and the 8:15 start. Those games start at 6:00 or 7:00 which seem pretty normal game start. So it seems a little disingenuous to say that Nashville begins the season with those two start times. Maybe if they were games 1 and 2 but we’re talking games 1 and 7 here.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA

I know the afternoon guys on NHL Radio really push for a 10/1 start date. With ESPN having the rights to both the first round of the baseball playoffs and NHL Opening Night, it’s not happening.

I ran the math. If the season started the last Tuesday of September, the regular season would end right at the end of March. Playoffs would run April and May. June would only be the awards and draft.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
What the hell, I think this is a fun idea.

Now if they could just raise the standards for those pathetic anthem singers...

Oh, not have anthems before sporting events?

Great! Nashville begins the season with crappy 4:30 and 8:15 PM local start times.

Gary should be happy if nobody puts an open contract out on him.

So, non-7 pm start time for road games are bad.... maybe playing 32 games against the other conference is a bad idea!

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I know the afternoon guys on NHL Radio really push for a 10/1 start date. With ESPN having the rights to both the first round of the baseball playoffs and NHL Opening Night, it’s not happening.

I ran the math. If the season started the last Tuesday of September, the regular season would end right at the end of March. Playoffs would run April and May. June would only be the awards and draft.
That makes too much sense for a league like the NHL.

Reactions: Spydey629

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
That makes too much sense for a league like the NHL.

Doesn’t work like that, TV is a big reason why the season and playoffs are structured and long as it is. Especially now with Disney and WBD as partners, they have to work their schedule on that those partners have and need. Besides, networks want the Final(s) in June since there is no other TV programming on.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The big thing the Covid years taught us was the impact competition has on the scup finals ratings (more so than markets). Tampa-Dallas went up against football in September and got killed. Tampa-Montreal even though it was July took place during the NBA Conference Finals as got killed as well. The Cup Final is staying in June when it can have its own nights.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
There are 5 games in between the 4:30 start and the 8:15 start. Those games start at 6:00 or 7:00 which seem pretty normal game start. So it seems a little disingenuous to say that Nashville begins the season with those two start times. Maybe if they were games 1 and 2 but we’re talking games 1 and 7 here.

Nashville has a history of crappy start times. Usually, that happens in the playoffs, but sometimes in the regular season. They are not the Penguins or TML, so they get the crumbs. They play more than 7 home games during the season. I may mark this one for a revisit toward the end of the season. I didn't look at their schedule, but don't be surprised if they have 3 or 4 Saturday 11 AM or 1 PM games, or some games are moved to those times.

A few years ago, Nashville was going to be on network TV near the end of the season. They won a few games in a row and qualified for the playoffs. The Bruins were close to clinching a spot, so the Preds were bumped to show the Bruins game. They always seem to be the victims of the NHL and the various networks. They also had the wonderful ref Tim Peel who was going to call a penalty on them whether they committed one or not. At least that got him fired and out of the NHL!

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Reaser

May 19, 2021
50 games on ESPN and ABC by my count.
62 games in TNT. So that is 102 national games on linear tv. Pretty good number.

*112, same amount as last season.

Same # as last season for TNT, 62 games, difference is last year 12 were non-exclusive and this year a ridiculous 19 will be non-exclusive.

Same # as last season for ESPN as well, 34 games.
Last season espn2 had a lone game, this year they don't.
Last season ABC had 15 games, this season will have 16.

So really, it's similar. There's some positives & negatives with the scheduling.

Heritage classic won't be on ABC/ESPN or TNT.

Way too many non-exclusive games.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019

NJ has more than NYR and NYI!

Florida has more than Tampa Bay!

Buffalo has more than NYR and Philadelphia!

But so few for Anaheim and San Jose...wouldn't they be expected to have many more just due to the fact the networks need pacific time zone games and not many teams to choose from? I guess successful Seattle fills the that void nowadays with its many games, some or many I assume at home?

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Can't say the NHL isn't marketing their stars on Canadian teams in the US. Edmonton is on 18 times, the most out of anyone and more than all other Canadian teams combined (13: 11 Tor, 2 Van, 0 Ott, Mtl, Cgy, Wpg)

Edmonton also had the most national broadcasts in the U.S. last season, so it's not new.

They actually had more games on linear last season than they will this upcoming season. More Oilers games on ESPN & TNT last season. While having more games on ESPN+ this season compared to last. So it's more streaming based for this upcoming season. Other than the real big difference, that the Oilers got an ABC game this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad