Speculation: 2023-24 Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Hurrah! Out with the miserable old, in with the potential of the new. After the draft lottery I don't want to hear about the 22-23 Ducks season ever again. It will stand as a marker of the worst season in Duck history. I want to look forward.

In that regard Verbeek should probably look at a roster of 13 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 2 goalies. The reason that I support this approach is that I expect that either LaCombe or Helleson (my spell check keeps wanting to change his name to Hellion) or both to be on the team. Given the length of the NHL season I think that it is best to keep these fresh by having them play 60 games or so, not all 82. In order to have enough defensemen to rotate those it is better to carry eight defensemen.

I can understand the idea of seven defensemen, but historically the Ducks have only carried 13 forwards with a roster of 22 players. If this is what the Ducks are going to do, then why not carry 8 defensemen, particularly if a couple of them are rookies.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
I obviously don't know what PV's plans are so I can only speak to what I would do in his position. IMO, coming into this year the Ducks needed one more high pick before they can begin building the team. So last offseason the plan was to let the team be bad and get that pick (+ a shot at Bedard). Mission accomplished, they got it.

This offseason is the time to start improving the team. I would start bringing in free agents and building the back end. IF they get really lucky and bring in some good players AND get Bedard, I bet they will be a bubble team next year. Realistically, sign a 3/4 on the backend, and some bottom 6 players. There's not much else to be done at this point except improve the weak areas and let the young guys improve and gain experience.

I haven't looked at who's available but if there's any top guys available I would go hard after them if possible. Oh yea, and getting a new coach is a must.

I think one more year of tanking would be a mistake.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We are drafting Top 3, I can see either of those guys hitting the NHL, if not Michkov

I think Lacombe makes the team out of camp as does Groulx.

Henrique - Zegras - Terry
Top 3 Pick or stop gap - McTavish - Strome
Jones - Lundy - Vatrano
McGinn - Groulx - Silf

Add a Top 4D - Drysdale
Fowler - Harrington?
Lacombe - re-sign Shattenkirk?
Benoit

It’s getting there not a playoff team but not a bottom 5 team either. Eventually the plan is to push Strome to the 3rd line once we have the depth in the Top 6

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Just out of curiosity, would Ducks fans consider a Byram swap with McTavish if the Ducks get a center in this draft?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Are there any defensively capable D that need to be moved out due to salary? Hopefully there's someone out there that Anaheim can pick up that'll stabilize the top 4 a little bit not cost too much.

Fowler-??? (Harrington/Kulikov?)
???-Drysdale
Benoit/Vaaks- LaCombe

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Are there any defensively capable D that need to be moved out due to salary? Hopefully there's someone out there that Anaheim can pick up that'll stabilize the top 4 a little bit not cost too much.

Fowler-??? (Harrington/Kulikov?)
???-Drysdale
Benoit/Vaaks- LaCombe
One guy that I am keeping an eye on is Alec Martinez in Vegas. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep him, but they only have $3.5M in cap space for next season with 19 players signed, and Martinez makes $5.25M for one more year. It could also depend on Lehner's health status.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I thought Harrington played fairly well. I think he should be re-signed for depth and play in the bottom pairing. He can play both sides and shouldn't cost much. It allows the young players more time to develop and if they are ready, Harrington can be the 7th / injury depth.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I really want to see a clean sweep for next year.

Just watching LaCombe play, although a very small sample, convinced me that this team would be better off with kids who at least have some skill.

Except for Fowler, Harrington, and maybe Benoit both as 6/7, the rest can go. Drysdale will be back, bring up the kids and just play the games.

The same goes for our offense, although our depth stinks. The Megna, Leason, Carrick, Grant, Comtois etc. type have little value on this team.

At this point I have little faith that Verbeek can bring in the right impact pieces. Vatrano was a great pickup, but Strome wasn’t. Klingberg was a meh.

John

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If the new centre can play in the NHL next year, I'd imagine Strome would be pushed permanently to the wing at long last. With Z, MacT, NewCentre, Lundy down the middle.

Strome hit 41 points this season. If we didn’t have such a bad team he’d easily be at 50 or more.

Vatrano has been an excellent pick up, Strome has not been terrible so it still depth and a decent pick up. Like to see him at 3RW moving forward. It will be good depth.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Man, Vaakanainen. I don't even see him working his way into the lineup with everyone else here. I think whatever upside he might have had got wiped out by his injuries.
He's not an NHLer at this time, even on the ducks.

Very easy to get around and quite frankly very soft. I think the Gulls would be the spot for him, Gulls should be good next year as will that entire division, he will be tested and hopefully uses this off season to get stronger.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Next year's potential D Corps still hurts to look at.

Hopefully PV brings back Shatt and Harrington, otherwise Cam is the only guy older than 25 (other than White, but he'll be #7/AHL). I can't imagine a legit NHL defender signing here, unless it's another Klingberg special.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think all 3 could be NHL ready, and expect if that happens will be on wing to start like how McTavish started.

I'm going to exclude Comtois as I feel pretty certain we move on in some capacity. I'm not putting much thought into the lines (especially the AHL ones) but in this case Silf slides to either side of McT depending on which top 3 pick we land.

Adam Henrique (5,825,000) - Trevor Zegras (8,125,000) - Troy Terry (7,500,000)
Jakob Silfverberg (5,250,000) - Mason McTavish (894,167) - Connor Bedard (950,000)
Frank Vatrano (3,650,000) - Isac Lundestrom (1,800,000) - Ryan Strome (5,000,000)
Max Jones (1,295,000) - Sam Carrick (850,000) - Brock McGinn (2,750,000)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Brett Leason (775,000)

Brayden Tracey - Glenn Gawdin - Jacob Perreault
Nikita Nesterenko - BO Groulx - Chase De Leo
Sasha Pastujov - Josiah Slavin - Pavol Regenda
Blake McLaughlin - Nathan Gaucher - Ben King
Sean Tschigerl - Josh Lopina - Jaxsen Wiebe

Right away, the 4C spot would be something in need of addressing (unless Groulx makes the spot his own). It would be nice to have a strong defensive presence and faceoff guy in that spot. Obviously open to the possibility of someone like Nesterenko forcing his way into the NHL mix as well.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I'm going to exclude Comtois as I feel pretty certain we move on in some capacity. I'm not putting much thought into the lines (especially the AHL ones) but in this case Silf slides to either side of McT depending on which top 3 pick we land.

Adam Henrique (5,825,000) - Trevor Zegras (8,125,000) - Troy Terry (7,500,000)
Jakob Silfverberg (5,250,000) - Mason McTavish (894,167) - Connor Bedard (950,000)
Frank Vatrano (3,650,000) - Isac Lundestrom (1,800,000) - Ryan Strome (5,000,000)
Max Jones (1,295,000) - Sam Carrick (850,000) - Brock McGinn (2,750,000)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Brett Leason(775,000)

Brayden Tracey - Glenn Gawdin - Jacob Perreault
Nikita Nesterenko - BO Groulx - Chase De Leo
Sasha Pastujov - Josiah Slavin - Pavol Regenda
Blake McLaughlin - Nathan Gaucher - Ben King
Sean Tschigerl - Josh Lopina - Jaxsen Wiebe

Right away, the 4C spot would be something in need of addressing (unless Groulx makes the spot his own). It would be nice to have a strong defensive presence and faceoff guy in that spot. Obviously open to the possibility of someone like Nesterenko forcing his way into the NHL mix as well.
Frank probably gets a try in top 6 before Silf at this stage.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Man, Vaakanainen. I don't even see him working his way into the lineup with everyone else here. I think whatever upside he might have had got wiped out by his injuries.
He's at risk of getting passed by and waived as early as the preseason but for now, knowing PV is going to want the prospects in SD for awhile, he still has the inside track to make the team to start the year. Make or break season for him

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad