2023-24 Roster Thread #9: Spring time is upon us

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Would have to think Shaw is being lined up. His title is associate coach, not assistant.
FWIW - i heard the players get along really well with Brad Shaw. Cool guy, really good teacher of technique and small details.

He really has done a nice job with the defense. If Torts really does go away, I’d prefer to go to someone younger and outside the org, but Shaw has a legitimate claim that he absolutely deserves an interview

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Peter Laviolette is younger than Brad Shaw. Nothing would scream innovative like hiring a 60 year old who was only a head for 40 games in 2005. He’s been an excellent PK/defensive assistant coach. Would it kill the Flyers to have an offensively gifted coach, not named Rocky Thompson? Yes, yes it would.

The Flyers excel at going for the path of least resistance. I’m not sold on Tortorella going upstairs though. He’d get bored and is an attention whore. Maybe they build him a house of worship next to Xfinity Live.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Peter Laviolette is younger than Brad Shaw. Nothing would scream innovative like hiring a 60 year old who was only a head for 40 games in 2005. He’s been an excellent PK/defensive assistant coach. Would it kill the Flyers to have an offensively gifted coach, not named Rocky Thompson? Yes, yes it would.

The Flyers excel at going for the path of least resistance. I’m not sold on Tortorella going upstairs though. He’d get bored and is an attention whore. Maybe they build him a house of worship next to Xfinity Live.

An attention whore? Mr Franklin lookin a little lonely. Just sayin.

All I needed was the tweet from the CBJ former GM

Hilferty called him the spiritual leader, and it's obvious the guy doesn't want to do the day to day grind of coaching.

Movingonup.jeffersons.gif

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly

Yea it would be nice for them to find someone young who can help push along the offense. That being said - in this hypothetical- I really do believe Shaw should feel as if he deserves an interview. He has had a nice year.

Reactions: BernieParent

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Charlie O mentioned that Drysdale and Seeler are skating (and I believe wearing contact jerseys), while Risto is the furthest away from returning.

Poetic justice or cruel twist of fate that the Flyers make the playoffs and we still don't get to see Playoff Risto?

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Charlie O mentioned that Drysdale and Seeler are skating (and I believe wearing contact jerseys), while Risto is the furthest away from returning.

Poetic justice or cruel twist of fate that the Flyers make the playoffs and we still don't get to see Playoff Risto?

The hockey gods demand sacrifice.

Reactions: BiggE

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
For all of those Flyers fans and media killers who post something like "We have decent young core so we shouldn`t make any trade before Michkov arrival"
Flyers "young" core is not too young. York is 23 this year, Farabee is 24, Frost, Tippett, Poehling, Cates are 25, Konecny is 27.
Even Foerster and Drysdale are not a teens.

This core is what it is and there is not another. This team don`t need to wait Michkov to get better, Briere should make this team better now, and Michkov should be addition (with ELC) to contender Flyers team

Guys who posts "They should trade TK cause he will be out of his prime when team will be a contender" should throw themselves to Pittsburg threads and become fans of them, cause they actually want to turn Flyers into ruins like San Jose or Buffalo

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
For all of those Flyers fans and media killers who post something like "We have decent young core so we shouldn`t make any trade before Michkov arrival"
Flyers "young" core is not too young. York is 23 this year, Farabee is 24, Frost, Tippett, Poehling, Cates are 25, Konecny is 27.
Even Foerster and Drysdale are not a teens.

This core is what it is and there is not another. This team don`t need to wait Michkov to get better, Briere should make this team better now, and Michkov should be addition (with ELC) to contender Flyers team

Guys who posts "They should trade TK cause he will be out of his prime when team will be a contender" should throw themselves to Pittsburg threads and become fans of them, cause they actually want to turn Flyers into ruins like San Jose or Buffalo
If this is the core then don't have high hopes for a cup. Come back when they've got the 1C 1D needed to have a cup winning roster

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

You do not win with offense. You win by trying hard and blocking shots.

Thus speaketh the God Emperor who will most surely anoint his faithful disciple Shawsie as next HC.

It has been written, it will be done.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
If this is the core then don't have high hopes for a cup. Come back when they've got the 1C 1D needed to have a cup winning roster
Whether fans and media want it or not, but this team will NOT tanking.
So they should bring top C from market.
In terms of 1D, tbh Drysdale has some potential. Injury is obstacles though

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Need to move TK this offseason. Could be this teams Recchi for LeClair and Desjardins type trade. Can’t pay him 9+ mil a year on a contract that will start when he is 28. He’s already had injury struggles. Love TK’s style but it needs to be done.
I'd be shocked if we do, but would hope that's the direction we're going. Konecny is the single chip most likely to return a prospect that could develop into Michkov's 1C, or York's long-term partner on the top line, and we absolutely have to try and find those pieces or we're going to be spinning our wheels.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
ouch... so 50 more years of sameolsameol....

buying top talent is terrible way to build a team..if your starting from zero.

but hey maybe itll work this time..🤣🤣

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Do you know how many of the top 25 centres in the current NHL were signed as a UFA?

1. Tavares.

Do you know how many of the top 25 centres in the current NHL were traded for while established 1Cs?

1. Eichel.

It is very hard to magic up a 1C without drafting one. Possible, but usually by trading for a ~22-24 year old who is a middle six C who then breaks out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad