2023-24 Roster Thread #9: Spring time is upon us

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
The fan engagement is a million times better with Camillo and Scott gone and Hilferty and Jones in.

Hilferty and Jones put a tremendous effort into connecting with the fans.

And as far as the on-ice performance, it's been one season with them in charge and they have greatly exceeded expectations.

A team predicted by most to finish bottom-5 in the NHL, that loses their starting goaltender to a sex assault charge, trades arguably their best defenseman at the deadline, and still has a chance to make the playoffs with a game left in the season.

Camillo came in from the outside, hired people from the outside, seemed to intentionally want to erase the Flyers' traditions and identity, and it was a horrendous 5 season period that has gotten way better once the team got back to their roots.

So I just do not understand the notion that the franchise's problem is that they too stuck in the past. They tried getting away from their history and it was a disaster, and it's gotten a million times better in one season by getting back to the Snider mentality that had made the Flyers one of the most iconic franchises in team sports.
Do you think that is because they have played well or more because other teams have faltered? You think the devils, sens, sabres, and wings will be as bad next season? They will be a bottom conf team next season if the run the same team back. Which is a good possibility they do.

The lineup is full. Unless they make trades or sign an UFA of note/talent.

The simple fact of the matter is that Camillo did not/doesn't matter, but as an outsider and a woman she was an easy target for demonization and scapegoating. Normal Flyers stuff.
probably clarkes fault she failed.

• Haha
Reactions: BiggE

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Wasn't she from Washington? Never met anyone I liked from that area.
She was in charge of the "Natitude" Washington Nationals marketing. Which was cringeworthy fake. That kind of stuff can fly in DC, but not Philly.

She comes to the Flyers and makes changes for the sake of making changes. Things to put on her resume. Reminds me of the bosses I had when I was in the federal government in DC.

Gritty. Taking down a Kate Smith statue. Ignoring Ed Snider. Lucky urinal commercials? Rage rooms? She couldn't even make a good commercial. The marketing was horrible.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
She was in charge of the "Natitude" Washington Nationals marketing. Which was cringeworthy fake. That kind of stuff can fly in DC, but not Philly.

She comes to the Flyers and makes changes for the sake of making changes. Things to put on her resume. Reminds me of the bosses I had when I was in the federal government in DC.

Gritty. Taking down a Kate Smith statue. Ignoring Ed Snider. Lucky urinal commercials? Rage rooms? She couldn't even make a good commercial. The marketing was horrible.
gritty is a 100% success....dont have to like it though.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

Gritty, a creation of another ICON in Philly, that children still flock to at the arena. LOL That's f***ing laughable that you call that a bad marketing move.

Reactions: VladDrag and BiggE

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
gritty is a 100% success....dont have to like it though.
Gritty is technically a success, I guess, but giving the Flyers a goofy mascot is emblematic of what Camillo was: Incredibly corporate and desperately trying to put her own "stamp" on the team while erasing its history and pissing off long-time fans.

Everything she did screamed "We are moving on from the Ed Snider era!"

Except Ed Snider is beloved by most Flyers fans and was one of the greatest owners in pro sports history.

She just isn't Philly at all.

Reactions: captainpaxil

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Gritty is technically a success, I guess, but giving the Flyers a goofy mascot is emblematic of what Camillo was: Incredibly corporate and desperately trying to put her own "stamp" on the team while erasing its history and pissing off long-time fans.

Except Ed Snider is beloved by most Flyers fans and was one of the greatest owners in pro sports history.

he is know a hockey icon. he has grown on many. she sucked, the entire organization has sucked.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
The simple fact of the matter is that Camillo did not/doesn't matter, but as an outsider and a woman she was an easy target for demonization and scapegoating. Normal Flyers stuff.
Chuck Feltcher: Team GM and President.
Val Camillo: In charge of Comcast business decisions and marketing.

Authentics: Camillo is the reason the team was bad!

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

History that has not won a cup in almost 50 years. That should say things need to be changed and maybe a more modern way of thinking especially with the cap and the on ice rule changes the league made since that last cup win.

But nah #CULTURE

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Every bit of this is irrelevant if the team is good. The entire problem, from top to bottom, is the team being bad. She had nothing to do with that.

She could have done absolutely nothing but make you and others like you ecstatic over the marketing; the team would be in the exact same place across the board. Because in sports, winning is what matters. Nothing else. Natitude ended up being seen as a smashing success. Which is funny, because it's only seen that way because the team was good. If the team was bad, it would have been laughed off. The team being good or bad is what defines the team. The marketing is purely fluff. Inconsequential. Nobody is going to refuse to go to a game because a statue they probably never stopped to look at is gone, or because that Boston schtick was pure anathema. People refuse to go to games because the games themselves suck.

And why was that?

Camillo!

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
1000006282.jpg

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Every bit of this is irrelevant if the team is good. The entire problem, from top to bottom, is the team being bad. She had nothing to do with that.

She could have done absolutely nothing but make you and others like you ecstatic over the marketing; the team would be in the exact same place across the board. Because in sports, winning is what matters. Nothing else. Natitude ended up being seen as a smashing success. Which is funny, because it's only seen that way because the team was good. If the team was bad, it would have been laughed off. The team being good or bad is what defines the team. The marketing is purely fluff. Inconsequential. Nobody is going to refuse to go to a game because a statue they probably never stopped to look at is gone, or because that Boston schtick was pure anathema. People refuse to go to games because the games themselves suck.

Camillo!
I do know a few STH who didn't renew over the Kate Smith Statue. I couldn't believe it.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
And why was that?
Because he's a world-class d-bag? Did you see his comments before the NCAA title game? About how the opponents would be in tears and he expected to score a couple goals?

Something is wrong with that guy.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
They did definitely get back on brand this year . When you are going to be I icing a bad team the non hockey stuff matters a lot.
People tend to forget that sports is entertainment. Matt rempe sparked as many conversations as Connor bedard even though they are dramatically different .

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm trying hard and I can't think of any marketing campaign that wouldn't be mocked if the team it supports is terrible. That turns everything into a joke.

The Process was a joke until the team became good. Then they started faltering annually and the shine is off that meme. But can you imagine people blaming that on the marketing of The Process? l.o.l.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They did definitely get back on brand this year . When you are going to be I icing a bad team the non hockey stuff matters a lot.
People tend to forget that sports is entertainment. Matt rempe sparked as many conversations as Connor bedard even though they are dramatically different .

Carter Hart also sparked many conversations.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Culture?
Seriously? History? Yeah, maybe ancient history.
Since 2000, we’ve had:
The Clarke/Lindros debacle
The Player revolt against Barber
The 06-07 season
Holmgren’s panic moves after Pronger went down
The 3 games into the season firing of Lavy
Hakstol
The wasted 2OA pick
The messy end to the Hextall era
Chuck Fletcher
AV, Yeo & Torts
A buffoon as PoHO

In those 23 seasons:
8 and soon to be 9 years out of the playoffs
7 first round exits
Only 3 trips to the final four, none since 2010
1 SCF appearance, none since 2010

Is this the history and culture we should be embracing? Give me a break!

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Culture?
Seriously? History? Yeah, maybe ancient history.
Since 2000, we’ve had:
The Clarke/Lindros debacle
The Player revolt against Barber
The 06-07 season
Holmgren’s panic moves after Pronger went down
The 3 games into the season firing of Lavy
Hakstol
The wasted 2OA pick
The messy end to the Hextall era
Chuck Fletcher
AV, Yeo & Torts
A buffoon as PoHO

In those 23 seasons:
8 and soon to be 9 years out of the playoffs
7 first round exits
Only 3 trips to the final four, none since 2010
1 SCF appearance, none since 2010

Is this the history and culture we should be embracing? Give me a break!
Thank you for typing that all out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad