Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Do even the most ardent Grczelyk lovers think he still has value? With his contract and play this year I cannot see anyone wanting him. If he was waived I can't even see anyone claiming him with his cap hit and UFA status.

JDB last 4 years, 10 goal pace, 27 goal pace, 30 goal pace and 10 again this year. There is no way I am committing more than 4 million on a one or two year deal with his inconsistency. I would move him for a Jake Middleton or similar D and pick up a Kunin or Cole Smith for a bottom 6 spot to replace him.

I have no idea how you fix the center spot this year, Coyle has been what I expected in the last month and Zacha has been disappointing.

Gryz is the #3D in the entire NHL in +\- since he joined the league. He has played poorly this year. If a team likes him before 20 bad games in and out of the lineup with injury, they are still going to like him.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Not trying to excuse his lack of production. But if I had to pick one guy in the league that would struggle mentally in a contract year Debrusk would be on my short list.

Have to wonder if future worries are weighing on the present.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Not trying to excuse his lack of production. But if I had to pick one guy in the league that would struggle mentally in a contract year Debrusk would be on my short list.

Have to wonder if future worries are weighing on the present.

I never wanted to say it in regards to COVID, cuz that was some weird shit, but him going thru this again over stress about a contract (we are guessing) isn’t exactly what you would call mental toughness.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I never wanted to say it in regards to COVID, cuz that was some weird shit, but him going thru this again over stress about a contract (we are guessing) isn’t exactly what you would call mental toughness.
He fits in perfectly, team has no mental toughness or any other toughness for that matter.

Hopefully a big shake up real soon before its to late

Reactions: Fenian24

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Merkulov needs to be given a shot before Poitras comes back. They need to see what they have in this kid. I also think Geekie deserves a chance with our top guys

Zacha Geekie Pastrnak
Marchand Coyle Debrusk
JVR Merkulov Heinen
Lauko Beecher Frederic
I'm not trying to single you out or anything, but I've seen this sentiment in other places and I'm gonna lose my mind if I keep seeing people suggest to move Zacha to the wing for Geekie. Zacha is our best center, and the Zacha-Pasta combo is the only consistent source of 5v5 offense we've had all season. It makes no sense.

Reactions: Spjutmuren

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I'm not trying to single you out or anything, but I've seen this sentiment in other places and I'm gonna lose my mind if I keep seeing people suggest to move Zacha to the wing for Geekie. Zacha is our best center, and the Zacha-Pasta combo is the only consistent source of 5v5 offense we've had all season. It makes no sense.
It’s all good man I just think Zacha and Pasta are going to do their thing regardless if he’s in the middle or not.

Coyle isn’t moving away from center and Geekie, although a small sample size, has looked better at center than wing and has looked good playing higher in the lineup.

It also opens up the 3C for Merkulov and when Poitras returns.

They’re going thru a skid right now, I’m only suggesting it for a couple weeks and maybe things click

Reactions: GordonHowe

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Everyone handles stressors differently. And things that stress some out wouldn’t bother others.

Hell I still dream of university projects being due and I graduated over 20 years ago lol.

But ya, it’s all guessing. Maybe he’s hurt. Maybe not. Maybe this is just what he is. Streaky player that you probably wouldn’t want to put a whole lot of faith in producing over an entire season.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Zacha isn’t great on faceoffs. He isn’t great moving through center ice. He is pretty good using his size defending down low, but nothing amazing. He wants to play center. The team needs centers. He is probably better as a winger.

Reactions: UncleRico

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Zacha isn’t great on faceoffs. He isn’t great moving through center ice. He is pretty good using his size defending down low, but nothing amazing. He wants to play center. The team needs centers. He is probably better as a winger.
Also my thinking is Zacha and Pasta aren't moving away from each other any time soon and is the defacto #1 line. Can you win in the playoffs with Zacha as your #1 center? Probably not. Could you win with him as your 1st line LW? Sure could.

Need to find a #1 center that compliments them (Lindholm on paper is a great fit)

Reactions: sarge88

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I mean Zacha is above 50% on the season, I think he's holding his own at the dot. Regardless, long term whether Zacha ends up as a center or a winger is a different story, but right now he and Coyle are the best 2 guys you down the middle and moving either of them out of that position makes you a worse team. I don't even dislike Geekie or anything, but he's not better then either of those guys and I'm not displacing either for him.

Reactions: Spjutmuren

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

I agree. I think he is a much better winger than he is a center. I want to see a line with him opposite pastrnak with a legit center in the middle.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Merkulov needs to be given a shot before Poitras comes back. They need to see what they have in this kid. I also think Geekie deserves a chance with our top guys

Zacha Geekie Pastrnak
Marchand Coyle Debrusk
JVR Merkulov Heinen
Lauko Beecher Frederic

Would like to reunite the Coyle line somehow.

Zacha Geekie Pastrnak
JVR Coyle Frederic
Marchand Merkulov DeBrusk

Maybe see how swapping Geekie and DeBrusk looks, too.

It’s all just awkward. You want to break in some of these kids, but there are not many spots to go around, especially if you want to try to win games. But a lot of the guys filling the spots aren’t anything special either.

Reactions: CellyHard

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Something we don’t talk about is the fourth line.

Beecher rocking 37 or 38% of shots, scoring chances and high danger chances on the ice. That’s…really bad. But you do want to give him a chance to grow into the role, right? Just seems like Lauko and Steen aren’t the right help.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Lauko and Beecher are the huge hole in the hull. Steen is fine. they are good dudes and they should be at the next camp, but they shouldn't play out the season with the big boys. rather win.
Beecher has been arguably the most consistent center on the team. He’s been fantastic in a 4th line role.

Lauko has had his ups and downs. I wasn’t seeing it from him but he’s played his best games recently..

Bottom line is these two aren’t the reason the Bs are losing.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Beecher has been arguably the most consistent center on the team. He’s been fantastic in a 4th line role.

Lauko has had his ups and downs. I wasn’t seeing it from him but he’s played his best games recently..

He's done some good things and has been better than I expected. Good skater and showing more offense than I thought he'd have. He has some physicality.

But at the same time there are some issues: He's 1 of only of their regular Fs who gets outscored when he's on the ice. You'd like your 4th line to at least hold their own, but the team allows more goals per minute w/ him on the ice than any other F (ok he's tied w/ Pasta but obviously the team scores way more Gs w/ Pasta on the ice). He's bottom in xG%, bottom in Scoring Change %, bottom in High Danger %. But he's been good on the dot and is still learning.

He's been good defensively at lower levels, so you have to hope that as he gets more experience he'll improve in those areas.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He's done some good things and has been better than I expected. Good skater and showing more offense than I thought he'd have. He has some physicality.

But at the same time there are some issues: He's 1 of only of their regular Fs who gets outscored when he's on the ice. You'd like your 4th line to at least hold their own, but the team allows more goals per minute w/ him on the ice than any other F (ok he's tied w/ Pasta but obviously the team scores way more Gs w/ Pasta on the ice). He's bottom in xG%, bottom in Scoring Change %, bottom in High Danger %. But he's been good on the dot and is still learning.

He's been good defensively at lower levels, so you have to hope that as he gets more experience he'll improve in those areas.
I'd also like to see stats on which D pair is most commonly on the ice with the 4th line. It feels to me like the third pair, and that's been awful for the Bruins. A basically all rookie 4th line with Mitchell/Wotherspoon/Shattenkirk out there with them is going to be tough at times.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Gryz is the #3D in the entire NHL in +\- since he joined the league. He has played poorly this year. If a team likes him before 20 bad games in and out of the lineup with injury, they are still going to like him.

If a team liked him before, they probably would have him by now.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Beecher is the one I want out taking that big face off when the game is on the line. Certainly not Coyle.

Coyle is a big reason for these collapses at the end of games, but we keep rolling him out there. Bad coaching

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Something we don’t talk about is the fourth line.

Beecher rocking 37 or 38% of shots, scoring chances and high danger chances on the ice. That’s…really bad. But you do want to give him a chance to grow into the role, right? Just seems like Lauko and Steen aren’t the right help.

4th line definitely not getting the job done.

Three players with very little NHL experience all trying to learn the NHL game without much on-ice guidance.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Beecher is the one I want out taking that big face off when the game is on the line. Certainly not Coyle.

Coyle is a big reason for these collapses at the end of games, but we keep rolling him out there. Bad coaching

Beecher (54.7%) against mostly other 4th liners, Coyle (52.3%) against mostly top line centers.

Reactions: Hookslide

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Beecher (54.7%) against mostly other 4th liners, Coyle (52.3%) against mostly top line centers.

I’m not replying to this to be argumentative and has nothing to do with you….its just a really simple and convenient example for my larger point.

This is a great example of how stats only matter in context.

Take those overall face off numbers.

Maybe Coyle won 80% of faceoffs when the team is up by 3 goals, 70% when up by 2 but lost 95% in the last 2 minutes of games where they are up a goal in the defensive zone.

If the above were true, that would make me reconsider whether or not I‘d use him to close out a game.

I‘m sure the team probably keeps more situational stats, which guide Monty’s coaching. At least I hope they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad