Boston Bruins 2023-24 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
2 of those 3 were some of our best in those playoffs? I think we know what we traded for.

Which 2? I'm guessing one is Bertuzzi. Yeah he put up some points. Dogshit away from the puck. I wanted no part of extending him and voiced that opinion numerous times last year.

Orlov was garbage and I hardly noticed Hathaway.

Reactions: Gordoff

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I am sorry but if you think you will get a return For Matt Grzelcyk you are probably going to be disappointed . The most I think any fan should hope for is the cap space. I am pleased with DS but he has failed when it comes to this player.
Which causes me to think he would need to be part of a larger package deal. What that would be I could only speculate, but picks for cap space does nothing for them this year unless that space is created and used for another transaction this year. Trade him for a pick as a last resort though I would be inclined to keep him for depth if it came to that.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Just a very generic series of tweets indicating bruins are interested - but it could easily be armchair GM’ing and nothing more
haven't seen that, Lebrun did put out an article saying that Tanev is holding up the rental D market, and that the price is likely to be a 2nd + another asset. Never mentions the Bruins in it though.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
haven't seen that, Lebrun did put out an article saying that Tanev is holding up the rental D market, and that the price is likely to be a 2nd + another asset. Never mentions the Bruins in it though.

But to make the money work you also need to include Gryz/Forbort PLUS Steen/Lauko . Need to free up 4.5 million for Tanev.

2 million AAV I'm not worried about salary retention. And if your the SJ Sharks and you already have two players on retention (Burns and Karlsson) you can be damn sure that they aren't using their 3rd retention spot on Nico Sturm and a million bucks. People need to drop this idea of Sturm with retention because it ain't happening. That 3rd retention spot will be saved for a much bigger contract.

OK, how do you make 2 million fit then?? They don't have the room to bring in that type of contract. I guess you could do Zboril, Steen, Lauko. Plus assets. Or you could trade Gryz to open up the space, and still have enough room to bring in a vet #7 making just above the minimum

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
But to make the money work you also need to include Gryz/Forbort PLUS Steen/Lauko . Need to free up 4.5 million for Tanev.

OK, how do you make 2 million fit then?? They don't have the room to bring in that type of contract. I guess you could do Zboril, Steen, Lauko. Plus assets. Or you could trade Gryz to open up the space, and still have enough room to bring in a vet #7 making just above the minimum

I guess they don't and Sturm isn't really an option unless someone making significant money goes out. SJ is definitely not retaining on him when they may have to find a new home for Hertl this summer.

They could find a 3rd team to take Sturm's salary in a 3-way deal. It's possible but with every team having only 3 retention spots, is the price to find a 3rd team worthwhile? I don't know what that added cost would be or what team could be included.

Ultimately there probably isn't a fit here for Sturm due to SJ's lack of retention spots.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Just a very generic series of tweets indicating bruins are interested - but it could easily be armchair GM’ing and nothing more
Chris or Brandon tanev? Wouldn't mind the latter, but his contract is a bit tough to fit in.

EDIT: I see now it's Chris that the tweets are about

Reactions: NeelyDan

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I think it probably costs you Beecher plus. No point in keeping Johnny around if you are bringing in Sturm to play his role the next 2 years. Plus you need to pay more to get them to retain 50% for this year and next. Beecher and a 25 #2. Maybe Steen just because you need to open up a roster spot as well
problem is that SJ won't retain half on nico sturm. they've already used 2 retention spots
on burns and karlsson, so they won't back themselves into a corner by retaining on a 3rd
beyond this season. especially if they want to move hertl or couture in the summer.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Donny always good for them diamond in the ruff finds...

Tommy Novak played second-line minutes and has tallied eight goals and 15 assists in 43 games. The late-bloomer is a good playmaker in the offensive zone and holds his own defensively. Novak is playing like a reliable, two-way center who would look great on any contender's third line. With an $800,000 cap hit, the pending unrestricted free agent is an easy fit on any roster.

A highly skilled playmaking center with first-rate "hockey sense" and puckhandling ability. Creates energy through being an offensively dominant presence. Plays an up-tempo game that can catch a lot of defencemen off guard; excellent skater

Brandon Duhaime. The three-year NHLer ranks 23rd among all forwards in hits. He good for 8-10 goals in a full season and is a solid defensive winger.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I’m really concerned with the TDL.

I think this team is good yet beyond flawed but their record doesn’t reflect it. Last I checked most of their advanced metrics were underwater which is again staggering with their record but confirms what many of our eyes see, that our goalies are bailing us out on a game by game basis.

I worry about the front office wasting assets on a team that isn’t going further than the second round. They need a top line center, they need more scoring from the top-6, they need another top-4 defensemen.

Much like the Patriots right now, there’s too many openings to hope we can jump this hurdle in one way (I.e through the draft, free agency, and/or trades) or in one offseason.

To me. I hope this team goes for cheap depth. Keeps their young assets and their 2025 1st and mitigates the pain we may feel 2-3 years down the road.

To me the decisions are:

• Do you think Lohrei is the future answer for our top-4? If so, bandage it up this year and put him on your “will not trade” list. And work him in next year. If he’s the guy and you’re not resigning Grzelcyk then trade Grz for assets. I know this is not popular as they’re in first place in the Eastern Conference.

• Do you think Poitras is the real deal? If so a decision needs to be made on Coyle/Zacha. Having 3 middle-6 centers is a waste of assets. Zacha can certainly play wing but just like Coyle, playing center seems to get him more involved and brings out the best in his play.

• Do you think Swayman is a number one goalie? Then you need to make a decision on him and Ullmark as wasting the cap jump next year on the luxury of two starters seems like a waste of cap.

• Where do you find a top-line center. Based on the questions above, the only top assets I move are for either a top-line center or a top-4 D that fits our age group.

I just feel this roster as constructed lacks many things and has multiple redundancies that can be traded away for assets that fit their needs.

All that said, I won’t be surprised if Sweeney and Neely swing big again this TDL seeing as the B’s top the standings. Personally, I just don’t see this team going far this post season.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

I think this team is good yet beyond flawed but their record doesn’t reflect it. Last I checked most of their advanced metrics were underwater which is again staggering with their record but confirms what many of our eyes see, that our goalies are bailing us out on a game by game basis.

I worry about the front office wasting assets on a team that isn’t going further than the second round. They need a top line center, they need more scoring from the top-6, they need another top-4 defensemen.

Much like the Patriots right now, there’s too many openings to hope we can jump this hurdle in one way (I.e through the draft, free agency, and/or trades) or in one offseason.

To me. I hope this team goes for cheap depth. Keeps their young assets and their 2025 1st and mitigates the pain we may feel 2-3 years down the road.

To me the decisions are:

• Do you think Lohrei is the future answer for our top-4? If so, bandage it up this year and put him on your “will not trade” list. And work him in next year. If he’s the guy and you’re not resigning Grzelcyk then trade Grz for assets. I know this is not popular as they’re in first place in the Eastern Conference.

• Do you think Poitras is the real deal? If so a decision needs to be made on Coyle/Zacha. Having 3 middle-6 centers is a waste of assets. Zacha can certainly play wing but just like Coyle, playing center seems to get him more involved and brings out the best in his play.

• Do you think Swayman is a number one goalie? Then you need to make a decision on him and Ullmark as wasting the cap jump next year on the luxury of two starters seems like a waste of cap.

• Where do you find a top-line center. Based on the questions above, the only top assets I move are for either a top-line center or a top-4 D that fits our age group.

I just feel this roster as constructed lacks many things and has multiple redundancies that can be traded away for assets that fit their needs.

All that said, I won’t be surprised if Sweeney and Neely swing big again this TDL seeing as the B’s top the standings. Personally, I just don’t see this team going far this post season.
I think even Neely would agree this year was not suppose to be this good with all the bargain basement signing they made.

They will add you can be sure of it. I smell a trade coming and it will be on the backend.

Carlo needs to go, his softness back there is disgraceful

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida

To me the decisions are:

This team is built for winning in the regular season. Winning puts fans in the seats and creates the illusion of a playoff contender.
Playoffs are about match ups and making adjustment. And yes, health, riding a hot goalie, and puck luck go a long way in the plays, but as you have stated, despite the current record, the team has flaws that will/would be exposed in a seven game series.
For me the regular season is about making the playoffs and adjusting your team to win in the playoffs. Winning in the regular season is fun and puts fans in the seats but it's the playoffs that really matter. Build the team for the playoffs even if it means not finishing first in the regular season. Win when it matters most.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

To me the decisions are:

In terns of the final statement, I don't think the Bruins swing big at the deadline, because I don't think they have the assets to both in cap space and in draft assets.

In terms of trading people for assets (Gryz). The only Bruins player who is a UFA in the offseason and has any significant trade value is Debrusk. Gryz/Forbort maybe you could get a low round pick for, but would be more likely to be moved just to free cap space than because you got anything of real value in return

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Goaltending and the PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad