Prospect Info: 2023-24 prospect information - BUT WHERE ARE THEY GOING TO PLAY?!

Prospect polls starting on 2/3 - what to do with #1?

• Get the formality over with and give Nikishin #1

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Start at the #1 prospect vote and give room for debate at the spot

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't mind Pronman. He seems to put in the work and it's another data point. He has struggled to rate skating for quite some time in most people's estimation. And like anyone, he'll have certain biases. I think in general, that's probably about where we are, and as mentioned, it's fine for where we've been drafting.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
why can't we just buy the checkers or something?

Isn't dundon like scrooge mcduck? How much can an AHL franchise cost?
I have a friend in Naples who has a good understanding of the Everglades inner thoughts (back to back Kelly Cup champions with a deep pocketed billionaire owner).

They have wrestled with the thought of trying to upgrade to the AHL level (don’t know the mechanics etc)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I don't mind Pronman. He seems to put in the work and it's another data point. He has struggled to rate skating for quite some time in most people's estimation. And like anyone, he'll have certain biases. I think in general, that's probably about where we are, and as mentioned, it's fine for where we've been drafting.
I was going to say, the fact that we're not lower given that the only pick we've had in the first half of the first round was Jarvis in the timeframe that is applicable here is a testament to the teams ability to find quality all over the draft, even if the only ones that scream "High End" right now are Jarvis, Morrow, Nadeau, and Nikishin.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
To be fair, he was kinda baby Bambi his first couple years, being knocked off the puck by a stiff breeze or violent fart
True, but the goal of these projections isn't to say what a guy is when he's 155lbs, it is to project what he can be in the NHL down the road. Many young players, particularly lighter ones, get knocked down easily because they don't have their adult strength yet. If they are good skaters at a young age (which Necas was), the "not getting knocked down as easily" comes with age and strength. Some guys gain that strength at an earlier age (Svech for instance), some at a later age.

There are also guys that are slow with poor strides at a young age, and that's something that's not always easy to fix. They might become "adequate" (take Victor Rask for instance), but they will frequently remain a poor skater.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Actually, Carolina being at #14 is amazing considering the 5 straight playoff runs. Remember that Necas/Drury/KK/Kochetkov just barely missed the age cut but are all part of the real youth core, as well. People focus too much on missed picks, but the thing about drafting for skill is that only a few need to hit. Capitalizing on other teams' cap issues gifted us both Jarvis and Kotkaniemi, but drafting for skill using a large quantity of draft capital is how you find a Kochetkov, a Morrow, and especially a Nikishin in the later rounds. They've focused their draft attention on this area while looking to the UFA and (especially) the trade markets for support pieces.

Last edited:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
An aside I hope one of Suzuki, Rees, Ponomarev or to a lesser extent Robidas see a real shot at the roster this year. I personally am probably a lot higher on Suzuki than most on the board as development is not linear.

Forgive me if some have been loaned to EU and I haven't seen it yet.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I know it's not common but I'm looking for perspective....how often has an nhl team not had an ahl affiliate?

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Dundon putting minor league teams in Houston next season so can help bettman head off the relo rumors for coyotes. He gets another draft and an allstar game within 10 years for helping... And moving minor league teams there so he can more easily attend and watch the prospects play. He is going to be taking an even more active role and becoming our head of player development. He so cheap trying to save a few bucks doing it himself....

:)

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
EDOJNLjUcAIgFrf.jpg

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I wonder if as much as anything, our drafting has been impacted by not having to address that player contractually for a few years or alter their developmental path. having someone else carry the freight and develop a player in a self-interested fashion rather than doing what a lot of teams do and write off their drafted youngsters as secondarily important to the guys who are going to be around. maybe if you know you've got that guy for 3 years, you might be interested in what his Y1 looks like to maximize Y2 and Y3. It has always made me wonder why the relationships with the KHL have always been so adversarial and that the first few executives that could make nice over there with a geopolitical understanding could benefit massively from it. I guess the question is that as the game homogenizes across leagues with rink sizes, stylistic similarities, and officiating commonalities how important exactly is it that we have a player in the AHL vs. having them playing in Europe? The AHL these days seems like the waiver destination and where CHL players stuck between levels spend their first season. Another aspect is that the culture shock element that used to be so huge in the 80's and 90's has gradually lessened as the Westernization of the world continues. Plus, a lot of these kids have been to Canada and been to the US before they are even drafted in various tournaments. It's been a while since I saw a kid and thought, man it looks like nobody talks to him and he's entirely lost out there. Networking is so strong now that if you're NHL caliber, you know some guys before you even make it to the league.

The NCAA as being a storage unit also has some positives but some very real negatives. but with these CHL kids, most of them want contracts as soon as they can get them. especially with long shot picks, that might not be enough developmental time to make that call.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
What's the latest on Morrow. Last year there was a lot of hype, this year you don't hear much about him. I guess he's playing one more year in college but still why no talk about him?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
What's the latest on Morrow. Last year there was a lot of hype, this year you don't hear much about him. I guess he's playing one more year in college but still why no talk about him?
What do you mean? We have discussed him. Unfortunately the prospect camp coverage is non existent so we’ll have to wait until the college season to see how he looks. We expect to sign him after the season and give us another defender on the roster.

Reactions: DaveG and 42

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
What do you mean? We have discussed him. Unfortunately the prospect camp coverage is non existent so we’ll have to wait until the college season to see how he looks. We expect to sign him after the season and give us another defender on the roster.
I mean, last year all the hype was around Morrow. This year, all everyone is talking about is Nikishin.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
What should we be saying about him right now, exactly? He decided he would return to college for another year months ago. Hopefully he continues to round out his defensive game and signs with us next summer once our ahl situation is sorted out.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

He had a monster freshman season. Better than Makar’s freshman year. I think we were hoping he’d take another step forward his sophomore year, but he basically repeated what he did his freshman year. So I think a lot of the hype wore off. If he took another step forward I do think we’d be hyping him a lot more. He’s still a very solid prospect though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad