2023-24 NCAA, CHL, OHL and European prospects thread

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Frozen Four kicks off tomorrow (times EST):

Thursday:
No. 1 Denver vs. No. 4 UMass, 2 p.m. (ESPN2)
No. 2 Maine vs. No. 3 Cornell, 5:30 p.m. (ESPNews)

No. 1 Boston University vs. No. 4 RIT, 5 p.m. (ESPNU)
No. 2 Minnesota vs. No. 3 Omaha, 8:30 p.m. (ESPNU)

Friday:
No. 1 Boston College vs. No. 4 Michigan Tech, 2 p.m. (ESPNU)
No. 2 Wisconsin vs. No. 3 Quinnipiac, 5:30 p.m. (ESPNews)

No. 1 Michigan State vs. No. 4 Western Michigan, 5 p.m. (ESPNU)
No. 2 North Dakota vs. No. 3 Michigan, 8:30 p.m. (ESPNU)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Thursday:

Friday:

At this point why don’t they just settle it by drawing a big circle in the dirt and throwing a knife in the center and tying Hutson and Casey together at the wrist inside the circle and the first one completely out of the circle wins the title.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Thursday:

Friday:

Keeping an eye on that Quinnipiac game.

Wonder how quickly Quillan and Graf sign NHL deals. If Fitz could somehow nab one (especially Graf) that would be amazing.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Keeping an eye on that Quinnipiac game.

Wonder how quickly Quillan and Graf sign NHL deals. If Fitz could somehow nab one (especially Graf) that would be amazing.

I'd expect them to sign quickly and maybe join their new teams by next weekend. I haven't heard us as frontrunners for Graf but I've been increasingly intrigued by Quillan. He doesn't appear to have Graf's offensive upside but profiles to be a high compete level bottom six center which we could use in the short and long term.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'd expect them to sign quickly and maybe join their new teams by next weekend. I haven't heard us as frontrunners for Graf but I've been increasingly intrigued by Quillan. He doesn't appear to have Graf's offensive upside but profiles to be a high compete level bottom six center which we could use in the short and long term.
Looking to move on from Hischier already?

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Who are the perceived front runners for Graf.

Part of me hoping a guy like him may see an avenue to play in the top six of this team with a lineup of predominantly lefties up front.

But that’s also probably wishful thinking on my part.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Part of me hoping a guy like him may see an avenue to play in the top six of this team with a lineup of predominantly lefties up front.

I think it was Elliotte Friedman who noted that Detroit almost lured Graf last spring. Wings have expiring contracts with Kane/Perron/Sprong, so they can make some empty promises about a guaranteed NHL spot. Friedman singled out Pittsburgh last as another team taking a look at Graf. He attended prospect camp previously with Nashville/Florida, although I don't know if that would necessarily mean they're higher on his wish list. Naturally the Rangers/Bruins mentioned if only because of proximity.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

Fitz's comments about being harder to play against on the wing makes me think Graf isn't a priority here.

Too bad - feels like he could be a fit.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think it was Elliotte Friedman who noted that Detroit almost lured Graf last spring. Wings have expiring contracts with Kane/Perron/Sprong, so they can make some empty promises about a guaranteed NHL spot. Friedman singled out Pittsburgh last as another team taking a look at Graf. He attended prospect camp previously with Nashville/Florida, although I don't know if that would necessarily mean they're higher on his wish list. Naturally the Rangers/Bruins mentioned if only because of proximity.
Fair enough, although there seems to be some weird situations lately where even though prospects are attending development camps, they seem to sign with other clubs.

Pittsburgh makes a ton of sense for him as well. I guess we’ll see, but with how much this team has gutted its young player depth the last year or so, I would love to add Quillan/Graf who immediately join that NHL/AHL bubble up front.
Fitz's comments about being harder to play against on the wing makes me think Graf isn't a priority here.

I’m also not convinced Holtz will be on this team next year, for the same reasons you mention. Adding someone like Graf makes it a little easier to dangle Holtz in a deal too.

I think it’s more likely Fitz addresses that hard to play against by adding some guys who play hard in the bottom six like Trenin or Duhaime, Foegele, Girgensons, etc. that will allow you to move guys like Palat/Haula up in the top six without sacrificing the bottom six.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Adding someone like Graf makes it a little easier to dangle Holtz in a deal too.

I think it’s more likely Fitz addresses that hard to play against by adding some guys who play hard in the bottom six like Trenin or Duhaime, Foegele, Girgensons, etc. that will allow you to move guys like Palat/Haula up in the top six without sacrificing the bottom six.
Would love if you're right.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Would love if you're right.
I don’t see the avenue otherwise to do so, unless this team swaps out a big piece like Bratt or Mercer for a Meier-type.

The way I see it, there’s a good amount of hard to play against guys on this team with Meier, Haula, Palat, and Lazar. Our other guys like Bratt, Hughes, Hischier, and Mercer can be a nuisance and a pain to play against, even if they may get pushed around a bit at times. Important to balance out their games with those four above.

Moving on from Toffoli and swapping out guys like Tierney, Nosek, and maybe Holtz for guys that play with more energy and physicality should be enough to balance out the lineup.

Think there’s still room for another kid to play its way into the group, which is why I’m hopeful for someone like Graf/Quillan to join the group of Foote, Halonen, and Clarke next year.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

He should be a priority, as should Quillan, getting a top FA like that would be a boon for this team. We haven’t drafted much forward talent or even depth recently.

It’s just that if we’re competing with the organizations that always snag the top NCAA talent (BOS, PIT, COL, NYR, etc) we will probably lose out.

I’d sign both, unless we somehow are in on a number other top FAs (which isn’t realistic), it’s not like we don’t have the contract slots.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I don’t see the avenue otherwise to do so, unless this team swaps out a big piece like Bratt or Mercer for a Meier-type.

The way I see it, there’s a good amount of hard to play against guys on this team with Meier, Haula, Palat, and Lazar. Our other guys like Bratt, Hughes, Hischier, and Mercer can be a nuisance and a pain to play against, even if they may get pushed around a bit at times. Important to balance out their games with those four above.

Moving on from Toffoli and swapping out guys like Tierney, Nosek, and maybe Holtz for guys that play with more energy and physicality should be enough to balance out the lineup.

Think there’s still room for another kid to play its way into the group, which is why I’m hopeful for someone like Graf/Quillan to join the group of Foote, Halonen, and Clarke next year.
Personally, I see the best fit for Quillan. Long term, that 4th line C spot it wide open. Next year, he'd probably need to start on the wing (or in the minors), but someone to replace McLeod would be huge.

Reactions: My3Sons

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Cam Squires earned the 1st Star of the Game with 1 goal (ES) , 1 primary assist (ES) & 2 secondary assists (1 ES + 1 PP). He was a +3 with 4 shots on goal & 1 hit in the Eagles' 6 to 2 win over the Oceanic. The Eagles are up 1 to 0 in the series as the playoffs have begun in the CHL. It's worth watching the highlights posted below, he had a great game. Will make you forget about the Devils Sabres game a bit haha...

LHJMQ

Cole Brown had 1 secondary 5v5 assist (it was a nice pass) , was a+1 with 2 shots in the Bulldogs' 5 to 2 win over the 67's. The Bulldogs up 1 to 0 in the series.

Josh Filmon was a +/- 0 with 1 shot on goal in the Broncos' 3 to win over the Hurricanes. The Broncos are up 1 to 0 in the series.

Charlie Leddy was a +1 in Boston College's 6 to 1 win over Michigan Tech. The advanced to the final 8 are set to play Quinnipiac on Sunday.

Seamus Casey had 1 shot & was a +/- 0 while Ethan Edwards was a +/- 0 with 3 shots in Michigan's 4 to 3 win over Nort Dakota. They will be playing Michigan State on Sunday in their Final 8 matchup. Should be a game worth watching with the Devils being off till Tuesday.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
can anyone who’s watched filman say if he’s still a potential piece for us or if last year was a fluke? he seemed like he far exceeded his draft position last season but not making much noise now.

i see he has more assists but 20 fewer goals in the same number of games. is he playing a more well rounded game? or was he just on a crazy shooting bender last year the regressed back to normal?

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
can anyone who’s watched filman say if he’s still a potential piece for us or if last year was a fluke? he seemed like he far exceeded his draft position last season but not making much noise now.

i see he has more assists but 20 fewer goals in the same number of games. is he playing a more well rounded game? or was he just on a crazy shooting bender last year the regressed back to normal?
They brought in Conor Geekie who was like the 5th overall pick in 2022 by the Coyotes. He might of stole some of Filmon's offensive responsibilities. Geekie is a center & Swift Current tried playing Filon there at times this season. Filmon was a project pick since the day he was taken.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
QMJHL Playoff Scoring After All of Tonight’s Games Ended

IMG_5780.jpeg

Squire has 27 points (10G 17A) in his last 12 GP.

38F1D79E-D1B2-49B3-A6CE-586F2B0B7F8E.jpeg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Quinnipiac vs BC has been an extremely entertaining 1st period for a 0-0 game.

Edit: Still 2 minutes left in the first with BC going on a PP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad