Speculation: 2023-24 Free Agency/Trade Thread II

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Oh i agree, i think he should start in AHL, especially if the goal is to be a playoff team.... find a guy to play with minty/zellweger.... have fowler play with lidstrom and let lacombe be the 7th.
The fact that he was with illness for so long, verbeek has an out to tell him “ hey you missed a lot of development time and I wanted to bring you to the big club right away next season but I think you should marinate first” given the illness. Luneau would definitely understand that. If verbeek does indeed feel that way. Big if though. He loves Luneau

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
What about guys like
TK
Frost
Farabee

Trade may be the best option for a forward, but i think free agency is best route for defense

1 of Pesce, Roy, Demelo or Montour
Montour is exactly not the type of D we need.

Konecny would be perfect, but he only has 1 year left on his deal.
He's also on the smaller side isn't he?

Reactions: duckpuck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Color me skeptical. Verbeek (and Murray) have said they were going to do a lot of things that haven't exactly turned out as promised. I'll celebrate when top 6 RH winger and vet RHD are actually on the roster.

Verbeek did state that he's done "rebuilding" and we're supposedly in the "building" stage that we shouldn't be in the TDL sale again.

If we view that all Verbeek is doing is replacing a top-6F and a top-4RD who we lost at the TDL in Rico and Lyubushkin, then it's not a far stretch of a high possibility of acquiring those players. Question is are those two new players short term, mid-term, or long term players?

Hopefully, if Verbeek does add a top-6 RW and top-4RD, then they will be as good or better than Rico along with being better than Lyubushkin.

I personally think we're a year too early b/c we're still figuring out who our team is and is not. Carlsson didn't have that breakout season like Z did in his official rookie season. We have a lot of young d-men and we still don't know if there's a top-pairing in the group. Also, we are already adding Cutter to the top-6 next year and might bury Colangelo from reaching the NHL level.

It just feels all awkward with speeding up the whole process this past season for the youths that we might be burying some of the youths this year.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Verbeek did state that he's done "rebuilding" and we're supposedly in the "building" stage that we shouldn't be in the TDL sale again.

If we view that all Verbeek is doing is replacing a top-6F and a top-4RD who we lost at the TDL in Rico and Lyubushkin, then it's not a far stretch of a high possibility of acquiring those players. Question is are those two new players short term, mid-term, or long term players?

Hopefully, if Verbeek does add a top-6 RW and top-4RD, then they will be as good or better than Rico along with being better than Lyubushkin.

I personally think we're a year too early b/c we're still figuring out who our team is and is not. Carlsson didn't have that breakout season like Z did in his official rookie season. We have a lot of young d-men and we still don't know if there's a top-pairing in the group. Also, we are already adding Cutter to the top-6 next year and might bury Colangelo from reaching the NHL level.

It just feels all awkward with speeding up the whole process this past season for the youths that we might be burying some of the youths this year.
I see what you are saying, but I don't think it's the worst thing to have some healthy competition. It forces the cream to rise to the top so to speak. I think inevitably some of the young players will be traded.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
What do people think of Jake Evans? We could really use a right handed 4C that can win faceoffs and kill penalties (Stenlund and Carrick are UFA options to fit this role). Evans has 1 more year on his deal and I can’t imagine he would be expensive to acquire. Maybe we swap one of Lundestrom or Jones for him?

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
What do people think of Jake Evans? We could really use a right handed 4C that can win faceoffs and kill penalties (Stenlund and Carrick are UFA options to fit this role). Evans has 1 more year on his deal and I can’t imagine he would be expensive to acquire. Maybe we swap one of Lundestrom or Jones for him?
I was thinking Lundestrom for Eller and Stenlund or Carrick for 4RW.

Reactions: duxfan1101

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Lundestrom is not worth the amount in the qualifying offer. Let him go and some other team will pick him up for $1 million or so. That is his market value.
It didn't help Lundestrom that Murray 'may' have drafted him because he was a Center who defensively good enough (high floor low ceiling) to play games straight into the NHL to fill in while Kesler was recovering. Madden is quoted is as saying that they've been very successful when they pick 'their guy' meaning some picks were more on the GM. Murray rushed Lundestrom instead of letting him marinate in SHL/AHL.

I remember it being said at the time of his draft that Lundestrom was the most likely pick outside of the top 10 to go straight to the NHL given his high floor. I wonder if Verbeek will move on from him because he now has his own 'high floor' Center prospect in Gaucher.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It didn't help Lundestrom that Murray 'may' have drafted him because he was a Center who defensively good enough (high floor low ceiling) to play games straight into the NHL to fill in while Kesler was recovering. Madden is quoted is as saying that they've been very successful when they pick 'their guy' meaning some picks were more on the GM. Murray rushed Lundestrom instead of letting him marinate in SHL/AHL.

I remember it being said at the time of his draft that Lundestrom was the most likely pick outside of the top 10 to go straight to the NHL given his high floor. I wonder if Verbeek will move on from him because he now has his own 'high floor' Center prospect in Gaucher.

Murray rushed not only Lundy, but Steel as well. The reason behind that was the mass injuries to our center depth. I recall Getz and Kelser not there at times at the beginning of the season, which is how Lundy and Steel got their call ups. Lundy's defense was so advanced that he lasted longer than Steel to start the season.

Kesler's injury problem started after the 2016-17 season, where we went to the Conference Finals. Conflate that injury with F Eaves' health injury, after signing a 3-year extension and our talent level dropped faster than we can develop youths.

I think our coaching staff sees Lundy as our defensive stalwart. We did try him out at LW during COVD season, but injuries to our center depth happened again and Lundy proved his worth at center. This past year, we've cycled him from center to wing throughout the season.

Maybe it's a psychological thing for Lundy b/c when he was playing in Sweden, his offense shined each time he went back. During COVID season, before the NHL season started up again, Lundy scored 5g + 6a = 11 pts in 12 HockeyAllsvenskan games! (Swedish 2nd men's tier).

As for Gaucher, Verbeek said he's still a couple of years away.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad