2023-24 Frank J. Selke Trophy finalists: Aleksander Barkov, Auston Matthews, Jordan Staal | Winner: Aleksander Barkov

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Probably because a lot of these homer beat writers don't actually watch much hockey outside of the team they cover, so they just give votes to someone they see the most.

I guess but you don’t really see the same for the other awards. I mean you’ll get some odd votes for the Norris for example, but the list of players receiving votes will still be like half that of the Selke.

hypereconomist

Mar 10, 2019
This is so bad.
The voting looks so random, especially compared to last year. What did Reinhart do this season to deserve the second highest number of first place votes...? The inclusion of Matthews still a head scratcher. Crosby cracking the top-10 is also questionable. McDavid somehow gets a Selke vote...?

Eriksson-Ek puts up 30 goals along with his defensive prowess, but barely cracks the top-10 and doesn't garner many first, second, or third place votes.

Thomas puts up 86 points while averaging 2:00 ATOI in pk time and doing a lot of defensive heavy-lifting at ES for the Blues, but only finishes 25th in voting.

Backlund, Coyle, and Cirelli should have also been much higher than low-20s.

What a farce. It's a good thing the Selke results weren't saved for the big awards ceremony.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
ES isn't 5on5. ES includes 4on4, 3on3 and I believe for some reason, even 6on5 goalie pulls.
So any time the teams are at even strength Mathews is horrible defensively got it.

But i know pucks hit him a lot so that means he is excellent at defense.

ES isn't 5on5. ES includes 4on4, 3on3 and I believe for some reason, even 6on5 goalie pulls.
So any time the teams are at even strength Mathews is horrible defensively got it.

But i know pucks hit him a lot so that means he is excellent at defense.

Vinh

Mar 19, 2010
Montreal
virtualhockeyscout.substack.com
The voting looks so random, especially compared to last year. What did Reinhart do this season to deserve the second highest number of first place votes...? The inclusion of Matthews still a head scratcher. Crosby cracking the top-10 is also questionable. McDavid somehow gets a Selke vote...?

Eriksson-Ek puts up 30 goals along with his defensive prowess, but barely cracks the top-10 and doesn't garner many first, second, or third place votes.

Thomas puts up 86 points while averaging 2:00 ATOI in pk time and doing a lot of defensive heavy-lifting at ES for the Blues, but only finishes 25th in voting.

What a farce. It's a good thing the Selke results weren't saved for the big awards ceremony.
Sid cracking the top 10 isn't merely questionable. He just had his worst defensive season in ages. The fact that he received any first-place votes shows how out of touch NHL media members are.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
I tried to read this thread to see a discussion on the nominees and instead I saw legit 4-5 posts per page about how the toronto media pushed Matthews into a top 3 selke nom lmao? This forum is so freaking funny.

Newflash: Matthews is, by every metric u can find, one of the best two-way players in the NHL. Penalty killing accounts for very little of the game. Elite defensive players dont need to play on the PK. It's a skillset that AHL grinders can be elite at in the NHL. Theres no need to use your stars on the PK.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Sidney Crosby just had one of the worst defensive seasons by a forward of the past 3 decades. You guys think Matthews is a Selke fraud for being in the ice for 71 even strength goals against?

Crosby was on the ice for a whopping 93.

What a farce.

Newflash: Matthews is, by every metric u can find, one of the best two-way players in the NHL.

No he isn’t. Not even close.

Goals against at es or 5v5 are metrics - I assure you - and Matthews isn’t remotely among the top players in the nhl.

Same goes for those same metrics per 60. Or offensive zone starts, or penalty killing. There are dozens of players who do these things better than Matthews.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, I predicted a landslide victory for Barkov and the other finalists only combined for 6, so I guess that counts.

Funny how #3 Matthews received 2 votes and #4 Reinhart 12 votes for Selke win.

The biggest joke on this list is Crosby top 10. Goes to show that branding is worth more than what actually happens on the ice.

• Haha
Reactions: sanscosm

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Yes, but not killing penalties doesn’t make you bad defensively. Some teams don’t want their stars on the PK because they’re more useful offensively.
So we're at the point where we need to reward the Leafs for hypotheticals, as opposed to things they actually accomplish.

Matthews could be great defensively. He's just not used that way..... What an absolute joke.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

Well I mean, Reinhart was really good defensively this season.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Didn’t Crosby lead the league in face off wins?

FO wins and FO% always seems to play a big role in Selke voting for whatever reason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad