2023-24 Forward Lines, D Pairings, and Goaltending Discussion

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Huska has moved Sharangovich to the 4th line to center Greer and Duehr. Ruzicka moves up to the LW on the 2nd line to play with Kadri and Coronato. Oesterle replaced by Gilbert on the 3rd pairing.
I like this except I'd rather Dube was playing LW beside Kadri and Ruzicka was LW on Backlund's line.

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Sharangovich has looked better than when he first put on a Flames jersey but not by much. He just hasn't done anything of real value, yet. Ruzicka getting that opportunity is fine as he's been noticeable and way more engaged.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
That top line is the softest line in recent memory
That top line features a total of 107 goals the season before last, as well as 8 points in our first game. Stylistically, it features a defense first opportunistic scorer centre, a two way scoring winger, and an all out offense playmaker. Give it time to work and it could be great.

Lindholm continues to be my litmus test for seeing who just judges players by how they skate with the puck and how often they make them say wow. Lindholm centers Gaudreau and Tkachuk and they both have their best year of their careers to that point. Lindholm centers Dube and Toffoli and they both have their best years of their career to that point. Lo and behold his line wins us our first game and some people still don’t know how to appreciate him.

For what I have to add, Kylington being gone really messed with our D-pairs, as Tanev continues having to play babysitter role for players who should not be on our team. The D-core should’ve been:
Weegar-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev
Zadorov-Kylington

But now we need to spread the wealth to cover weaknesses and soften our bottom 4.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Looking at this line-up, it's hard to see where the goals are going to come from on a regular basis. It will have to be committee
Yeah. It's not like Mangiapane has scored 30+ before. Or Lindholm has scored 40+ before. Historically, Huberdeau has been a 20-30 goal scorer. Sharangovich scored 20+ 2 years ago. Kadri should be good for 20-30. Coronato is a goal scorer.

But yeah... where?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Looking at this line-up, it's hard to see where the goals are going to come from on a regular basis. It will have to be committee
Do you have any other buzzword hot takes about the lineup? What is Ryan Pinder saying about the team today?

Imagine a team doing things by committee!

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I really thought that Sharangovich and Backlund seemed like a match made in heaven; along with Coleman it allows Mangiapane to move into a bigger scoring role in the top 6.

I like:

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Ruzicka/Dube - Kadri - Coronato
Coleman - Backlund - Sharangovich
Greer - Ruzicka/Dube - Duehr

I think that puts some goal scorers on each line; the top line should have 100 goals between them (should); second line should have two 20 type guys in Kadri/Coronato, and the third line should have 3 15-20 guys on it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah. It's not like Mangiapane has scored 30+ before. Or Lindholm has scored 40+ before. Historically, Huberdeau has been a 20-30 goal scorer. Sharangovich scored 20+ 2 years ago. Kadri should be good for 20-30. Coronato is a goal scorer.

But yeah... where?

I think it's a little bit of, "No superstars" and a little bit of, "Unlike previous seasons of just trying to shut down the Flames' top line, who should we cover the most for this game plan? EVERYONE!"

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really thought that Sharangovich and Backlund seemed like a match made in heaven; along with Coleman it allows Mangiapane to move into a bigger scoring role in the top 6.

I like:

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Ruzicka/Dube - Kadri - Coronato
Coleman - Backlund - Sharangovich
Greer - Ruzicka/Dube - Duehr

I think that puts some goal scorers on each line; the top line should have 100 goals between them (should); second line should have two 20 type guys in Kadri/Coronato, and the third line should have 3 15-20 guys on it.
I agree.

I also think people need to give Rango more time before writing him off. The whole team is adjusting to a new system, but he's also adjusting to new teammates.

I also like Rosie on the 4th line because I think he and Duehr can add so e production to the line to go with energy and if Pelts sees NHL time this season once heeled, playing 4th line with Rosie and Duehr should be a good fit as well as he has. chemistry with Rosie in Stockton

Reactions: Nanuuk

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Separate lindy and huberdeau, swap Ruz and Hubs and I’d like it better but that line up looks like a playoff contender at least.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Separate lindy and huberdeau, swap Ruz and Hubs and I’d like it better but that line up looks like a playoff contender at least.
What I wanted to see last year was Kadri centering Huby and Lundy. Backlund is still as average #2C and I think given time Dube could be a good middle-six C too

Huby - Naz - Lindy
Mangi - Backs - MC Scorenato
Coleman - Dube - Rango

And then when. Pelts is healthy maybe he can push Coleman dow. And then a Coleman - Rosie - Duehr line would be amazing

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
What I wanted to see last year was Kadri centering Huby and Lundy. Backlund is still as average #2C and I think given time Dube could be a good middle-six C too

Huby - Naz - Lindy
Mangi - Backs - MC Scorenato
Coleman - Dube - Rango

And then when. Pelts is healthy maybe he can push Coleman dow. And then a Coleman - Rosie - Duehr line would be amazing
If you make Dube centre, no way he can be the best offensive player on his own line. Dube unfortunately has only found success in the NHL as the third best player in his line, it’d be a huge jump to expect him to be the guy on his line all of a sudden.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Do you have any other buzzword hot takes about the lineup? What is Ryan Pinder saying about the team today?

Imagine a team doing things by committee!
Hard to imagine the Flames doing anything by committee because they haven’t done so in the recent past and now they have their worst top line in a decade

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
A bit early to drop Sharangovich down to the 4th line. I get it that he is having difficulty to find a role on this team and I get it that Rosie is much better than a 4C. But he should be developed as a C.

The line of Greer, Rosie. and Duehr have a high upside in my opinion (even if their minutes were low last game).

I'm not sure if Rosie is a good fit with Kadri, but we will see I guess.

Similarly moving Dube off of the top line might be a bit premature. They'll need more than a game to mesh. Remember Dube's speed was to be a weapon for the line. But, as we know, guys can play with Backs and Pickles with little risk. They'll still be shutdown guys that can score.

Mangi looked like the Mangi of old last game. Tenacious and energetic. A puck hunter and a shooter (more than Dube IMO). Huberdeau might like that.

Oesterle can skate, but I think the knock on him has been play in his own zone. Wilts under pressure. I missed the first two periods last game and didn't really see the goals against. I'm confident that Gilbert can play and can be the full time 6th D.

Pittsburgh had rolled over about 50% of their roster from last year. Huska's changes could very well be a response to that.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
A bit early to drop Sharangovich down to the 4th line. I get it that he is having difficulty to find a role on this team and I get it that Rosie is much better than a 4C. But he should be developed as a C.

The line of Greer, Rosie. and Duehr have a high upside in my opinion (even if their minutes were low last game).

Similarly moving Dube off of the top line might be a bit premature. They'll need more than a game to mesh. Remember Dube's speed was to be a weapon for the line. But, as we know, guys can play with Backs and Pickles with little risk. They'll still be shutdown guys that can score.

Mangi looked like the Mangi of old last game. Tenacious and energetic. A puck hunter and a shooter (more than Dube IMO). Huberdeau might like that.

Oesterle can skate, but I think the knock on him has been play in his own zone. Wilts under pressure. I missed the first two periods last game and didn't really see the goals against. I'm confident that Gilbert can play and can be the full time 6th D.

Pittsburgh had rolled over about 50% of their roster from last year. Huska's changes could very well be a response to that.

Shara has just been ineffective even dating back to last year on the devils. Ruzicka has been much more impactful imo, we need goals I think giving Ruzicka a chance is the right move.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011

Ružička is a top 6 forward that needs a cuddle and be loved- behave with that 4th line direction.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Throwing shit at the fan here... but after their games on the 20th and 21st, the Wrangers head home and have a week off.

It would make sense to Call up Wolf when the Flames get back in Calgary, have him backup vs teh Rangers and start vs the Blues. Gives him a few days of practice before starting, and almost a week of NHL dollars.

KiwiFlamesFan

Aug 11, 2006
New Zealand
Throwing shit at the fan here... but after their games on the 20th and 21st, the Wrangers head home and have a week off.

It would make sense to Call up Wolf when the Flames get back in Calgary, have him backup vs teh Rangers and start vs the Blues. Gives him a few days of practice before starting, and almost a week of NHL dollars.
I like the sound of this. Did you put in a call to Craig to make it happen?

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Thx for updates guys. I got good info on Sharangovish. I think he can be more effective once he finds a comfort zone with his new team. He can fill in if your top centers away short term

Reactions: deleted user

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Zary just got called up. Give him a chance in Kadri's spot. Seriously. Wake up Kadri and reward Zary. This is the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad