Prospect Info: 2023-24 Flyers Prospects - FINAL RANKINGS

Do you like the Flyers' prospect pool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Sanheim has always been a 2nd pair guy, that's his upside.
While last season was probably an anomaly, he's 27, there might be minor incremental improvement, but it's unlikely he makes a great leap forward.

Unless he's willing to waive his NTC, they're stuck with him for 4 seasons. And at 31, 4x$6.25M won't be easy to move, though not impossible with a cap that should be about $16M more (20%) at that point.
If Sanheim can become a reliable 2nd pair guy for the rest of his contract the cap hit is a lot easier to swallow. If he becomes a guy who only shows up to the rink to collect his cheque and put in minimal effort we'll have to eat it for a while and then buy it out. I think hes capable of turning it around but he's probably not a guy I'd want on a pairing with Bonk or Andrae right now though and thats gonna become an issue if he cant be trusted for that during a rebuild. He probably wont waive his no move clause unless Torts runs him out of town or all his friends get shipped out. I feel like Torts kinda shit on him all year but by the end they seemed to kind of have an understanding, its all up to Sanheim now and how he comes into 2024. All these players have to do really is show up with their conditioning on point to impress Torts, start the season with your game legs so you dont look like a potato for the first two weeks and he'll fall in love with their work ethic.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
The only position I feel good about is goal. Between Ersson, the 3 Russians and Bjornsson, you’d have to think at least one develops into a quality NHL starter.

Up front, be it at C or on the wing, Michkov has legit first line potential. Gauthier, if kept on the wing, has 1st line potential too. If they keep him at center though, 2C is probably his ceiling. After that, well, Foerster and perhaps Brink have 2nd line potential and one or two others might reach the 3rd line, but the rest are a bunch of 4th liners and future career AHLers.

On D, it’s worse, much worse. Andrae and Bonk have 2nd pair potential and that’s pretty much that. The rest? A bunch of 6/7 guys and more AHL fodder. Not only do they need to acquire at least 2 more firsts between 24 and 25, they really need to hit on at least 4 of the 5. Having a top 5 pick in both drafts would be nice too.
ya we have decent goalie depth, and some solid wingers. I cant start calling gauthier and michkov centers yet, but as wingers Michkov Gauthier and Foertser is a good start. outside of that theres no high end impact players in the system especially on defense. Bonk could still develop his offensive side, at dev camp he was doing some pretty fancy stuff in the scrimmage and is super confident carrying the puck, Andrae's outlet passes are really good but neither one is a sure fire lock at the next level yet. York might end up being who Provorov should have been but with more positional strengths than physical ones and thats better for today's game anyways, its why risto has looked better under Torts but thats a whole different beast because better doesnt always mean good. We need to draft some defensemen in the next couple drafts, even if we're not looking for a true #1 guy maybe we end up with four #2's. Defense and Center is our biggest hole in the roster and the pipeline.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The only position I feel good about is goal. Between Ersson, the 3 Russians and Bjornsson, you’d have to think at least one develops into a quality NHL starter.

Up front, be it at C or on the wing, Michkov has legit first line potential. Gauthier, if kept on the wing, has 1st line potential too. If they keep him at center though, 2C is probably his ceiling. After that, well, Foerster and perhaps Brink have 2nd line potential and one or two others might reach the 3rd line, but the rest are a bunch of 4th liners and future career AHLers.

On D, it’s worse, much worse. Andrae and Bonk have 2nd pair potential and that’s pretty much that. The rest? A bunch of 6/7 guys and more AHL fodder. Not only do they need to acquire at least 2 more firsts between 24 and 25, they really need to hit on at least 4 of the 5. Having a top 5 pick in both drafts would be nice too.
Farabee will be 23 and much stronger with a full season to work out, he was 42nd in 5x5 pp/60 from age 19-21, so he's a good bet to be a 1st line forward.
TK is a 1st line forward, one reason they may not trade him is the odds that the picks they get for him are top 6 forwards, much less 1st line quality.
Tippett is middle six, 2nd line upside but he'll have to be more consistent. Same with Frost.

Foerster has top 6 potential, Brink is more "wait and see."
Cates is solid middle six.
After that it's wait and see, I wouldn't project Desnoyers et al as middle six, bottom six or AHL plus until I see them play more than a couple NHL games.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Farabee will be 23 and much stronger with a full season to work out, he was 42nd in 5x5 pp/60 from age 19-21, so he's a good bet to be a 1st line forward.
TK is a 1st line forward, one reason they may not trade him is the odds that the picks they get for him are top 6 forwards, much less 1st line quality.
Tippett is middle six, 2nd line upside but he'll have to be more consistent. Same with Frost.

Foerster has top 6 potential, Brink is more "wait and see."
Cates is solid middle six.
After that it's wait and see, I wouldn't project Desnoyers et al as middle six, bottom six or AHL plus until I see them play more than a couple NHL games.
hopefully a year from now we talking about his new signed 8 year ext.

Brink is not wait ans he is def wait and see

Mike1167

Jun 25, 2018
Erie, Pennsylvania
SKATERS

Matvei Michkov 86.8%
2. Cutter Gauthier 80.0%
3. Tyson Foerster 81.0%
4. Bobby Brink 38.2%
5. Emil Andrae 51.8%
6. Oliver Bonk 58.7%
7. Yegor Zamula 40.4%
8. Elliot Desnoyers 63.9%
9. Alex Ciernik 26.5%
10. Ronnie Attard 34.4%
11. Devin Kaplan 30.4%
12. Helge Grans 22.8%
13. Denver Barkey 25.6%
14. Olle Lycksell 31.0%
15. Alexis Gendron 31.0%
16. Jon-Randall Avon 40.0%
17. Alex Bump 40.0%
18. Cole Knuble 23.1%
19. Zayde Wisdom 34.5%
20. Massimo Rizzo 31.3%

GOALIES

Samuel Ersson 68.9%
2. Aleksei Kolosov 67.6%
3. Ivan Fedotov 48.3%

Didn't make the list:

Bryce Brodzinski, Adam Ginning, Ryan MacPherson, Matteo Mann, Hunter McDonald, Owen McLaughlin, Mason Millman, Ty Murchison, Ethan Samson, Carter Sotheran, Santeri Sulku, Samu Tuomaala, Brian Zanetti, Carson Bjarnason, Matej Tomek, Yegor Zavragin.

Mike1167

Jun 25, 2018
Erie, Pennsylvania
SKATERS

Matvei Michkov 86.8%
2. Cutter Gauthier 80.0%
3. Tyson Foerster 81.0%
4. Bobby Brink 38.2%
5. Emil Andrae 51.8%
6. Oliver Bonk 58.7%
7. Yegor Zamula 40.4%
8. Elliot Desnoyers 63.9%
9. Alex Ciernik 26.5%
10. Ronnie Attard 34.4%
11. Devin Kaplan 30.4%
12. Helge Grans 22.8%
13. Denver Barkey 25.6%
14. Olle Lycksell 31.0%
15. Alexis Gendron 31.0%
16. Jon-Randall Avon 40.0%
17. Alex Bump 40.0%
18. Cole Knuble 23.1%
19. Zayde Wisdom 34.5%
20. Massimo Rizzo 31.3%

GOALIES

Samuel Ersson 68.9%
2. Aleksei Kolosov 67.6%
3. Ivan Fedotov 48.3%

Didn't make the list:

Bryce Brodzinski, Adam Ginning, Ryan MacPherson, Matteo Mann, Hunter McDonald, Owen McLaughlin, Mason Millman, Ty Murchison, Ethan Samson, Carter Sotheran, Santeri Sulku, Samu Tuomaala, Brian Zanetti, Carson Bjarnason, Matej Tomek, Yegor Zavragin.
The Flyers added my nephew, Jacob Kucharski, to the goaltending mix a few days ago. He signed with Reading, and will be in Lehigh Valley's training camp in October.

He was drafted by Carolina in 2018 in the 7th round, but the Canes elected not to sign him.

He graduated from Nebraska-Omaha this spring, after playing 2 seasons at AIC and 1 season at Providence.

He's a big kid at 6'4" and 225 pounds. He's quick and moves well for a goalie of his size.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Why a 1RHD? How about just a true 1D? You're getting way too lost in the role weeds.

Because York is his 1LD. Forget that defense is the skater position that you can actually cobble together without a true Norris caliber guy. Forward is the position you cannot have anything less than multiple top end players. But the team says they need to build defense first, and just look at how chock full of elite forwards they are…..so here we are only needing a 1RD for a team that is categorically awful at evaluating defenders. Piece of cake.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Because York is his 1LD. Forget that defense is the skater position that you can actually cobble together without a true Norris caliber guy. Forward is the position you cannot have anything less than multiple top end players. But the team says they need to build defense first, and just look at how chock full of elite forwards they have, so here we are only needing a 1RD for a team that is categorically awful at evaluating defenders. Piece of cake.

That's insane lol. York isn't a position solver.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany

BiggE from now on I call you BiggY
Code:
https://www.findnicknames.com/nicknames/biggy/

Love your takes bro!

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
BiggE from now on I call you BiggY
Code:
https://www.findnicknames.com/nicknames/biggy/

Love your takes bro!
1693344900193.gif

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I like York he's the best ppqb we have but I don't automatically think that makes him a 1d. D and c are definitely our weakest areas

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Michkov and Gauthier can stay at center, that fills one hole, Gauthier will get one year at BC, Michkov 3 years in the KHL.
I'm sure they'll monitor both players closely, and of course Couts.
Which is why I'd be patient about addressing center until you have more information.

1RHD is a different matter, no real credible candidates unless Bonk takes a big step foward this season in the CHL.
You don't want to ask York to carry Attard, Risto, Garns, Samson.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
If Michkov and Gauthier can stay at center, that fills one hole, Gauthier will get one year at BC, Michkov 3 years in the KHL.
I'm sure they'll monitor both players closely, and of course Couts.
Which is why I'd be patient about addressing center until you have more information.

1RHD is a different matter, no real credible candidates unless Bonk takes a big step foward this season in the CHL.
You don't want to ask York to carry Attard, Risto, Garns, Samson.
Cutter to me looks like a player who will have higher upside as a winger. Per the typical flyers development they seem hell bent on making him a center. MM no idea if he can play center. Either way I utilize him where he will have the greatest impact. If that is wing so be it.

The obvious is you hope Sean can stay healthy at be solid 2/3 center the duration of his dumb contract. At worst a #3. Cant wait to see the coach play him heavy minutes though.

York at this point isnt a #1 dman either. We have seen this show before with players who many think will be a #1 dman. Then falter and are not. To me the flyers do not have a top pair dman at this time.

In bold besides Risto, may never even be an nhl player. Chances are they will not be.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Couts comes down to health, at 100% he's a 1C, at 90% he's a 2C.
How soon people forget how good he was before he hurt his back.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Couts comes down to health, at 100% he's a 1C, at 90% he's a 2C.
How soon people forget how good he was before he hurt his back.
That was 2 years and how many back surgeries ago. Have to let it play out and I expect him not to play at that level this 1st year back. Just a plyer they should have never committed to.

As said before cant wait to see JT play him 25 minutes a night from jump street.

Just think where they would be now had they were not an incompetents organization and traded him.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I think it's easier to move a guy from center to wing than to teach a winger to play center at the pro level. I think you can really handicap a guys offensive output playing him at c particularly if he's more of a shooter. I also wouldn't be surprised if brink tries to shift over given the logjam at wing and his skillet. I definitely think he would make the transition better than Cates.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It helps a player's development to play center if he can handle it, the larger defensive responsibilities, experience at taking faceoffs, being aware of the whole ice can only make a player better, even if they eventually move to wing.
Gauthier will get a full college season to show he can handle it, at worst, he'll be a better LW in the pros, who can take FOs when the center is kicked out.

Reactions: captainpaxil

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
There should be no priority other then BPA. They are 5 years away from even knowing what the holes in the system will be.
True but I want more centers and d prospects. It’s our biggest hole right now and we just drafted a ton of goalies. I would take those two positions over goalies as of now

Reactions: tnfrs

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
True but I want more centers and d prospects. It’s our biggest hole right now and we just drafted a ton of goalies. I would take those two positions over goalies as of now
It should be BPA with need only as a tiebreaker.
If you draft good players, you can always package them to fill a hole.
If you reach for need, a mediocre player at a position of need really doesn't help.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
It should be BPA with need only as a tiebreaker.
If you draft good players, you can always package them to fill a hole.
If you reach for need, a mediocre player at a position of need really doesn't help.
explain the bonk pick then? he wasnt best available

agree 100%

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
explain the bonk pick then? he wasnt best available

agree 100%
He may have been on the Flyers' board, at that point there were questions about everyone available.
Flyers may have increased the weight they put on hockey IQ, especially for D-men, given their recent experience with some players.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I thought it might be a good time to ressurect this post deadline. We moved quitter and some guys have graduated

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad