2023-24 Chicago Blackhawks MVP.

Who is the Blackhawks MVP this year?

• Total voters

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I wasn't gonna bother doing this since I thought Bedard was the easy choice. But after looking at the team stats (29th in GA, 27th in PK%) and then looking at Mrazek's performance and even Seth Jones surface level stats.. it isn't as clear cut as I thought.

Here are the stats for the main candidates imo ..

Conor Bedard
-52nd in PPG leaguewide
-leads team in points (61), 7 points lead over 2nd
-leads team in PPG. 73 point pace over 82 games. 12 points gap over 2nd highest PPG on team
-leads team in EVP (40), 5 more than 2nd best
-leads team in goals. (Tied)
-27 goal pace, 5 more than 2nd highest pace on team
-highest ATOI on team for forwards

Petr Mrazek
-8th in GP (56)
-26th in sv% (.907)
-6th in SV and SOG (1724)
-35th in goals saved above expected per 60 (min 20gp)
-9th in high danger unblocked shot attempt sv%
-21st in xhigh danger unblocked shot attempt sv%
-backup goalie has a .879sv% in 20+ games.

Seth Jones
-4th in ATOI among defenseman(25:29)
-31st in points for dmen(31)
-45th in goals for Dmen(8)
-47th in PPG for Dmen
-44th in GPG for dmen
-averages 4 minutes more than next best dmen on team
-2nd in blocks on team (131)
-5th in team scoring
-3rd highest PPG on team (38 point pace)

HM

Kurashev
-2nd in points on team (54)
3rd in goals on team (18)

Dickinson
-2nd in goals on team(22)
-leads forwards on team in +/- (4). All but 1 forward is neutral or negative.

Vlasic
-leads team in blocked shots (148)
-43rd in blocked shots leaguewide
-best +/- on team among defenseman (-4..)

A few things, Bedard's -44 sticks out like a sore thumb, that's 2nd worst in the league.

It's a miracle Seth Jones is only at -14 with him having the 4th highest ATOI in the league.

And somehow, Mrazek has average to really good stats despite the heavy workload and tirefire team in front. Definitely seems like he was even better than his stats suggest.

That being said, as bad as the Blackhawks overall defense was, the offense is ranked even lower (32nd in G/GP and 28th in PP%) so very impressive for Bedard to lead in every offensive category on the team. Obviously has the most potential and talent on the team, just not sure he was the best/MVP given Jones and Mrazek rank higher in statistical categories relative to position.

Current winners from team MVP polls
(✓are clear cut winners)
(*Asterisk are really close polls)

SJS - Granlund
CBJ - Werenski✓
Flames - Weegar
Stars - Heiskanen
Canucks - Hughes✓
Coyotes - Keller
NYI - Dobson✓
Wild - Kaprizov✓
Blues - Thomas
Sabres - UPL*
NJD - Hischier*
Senators - Tkachuk*
Kraken - Daccord*
Canadiens - Suzuki✓
Ducks - Vatrano
LAK- Doughty
Wings - Larkin
Panthers - Reinhart*
Hurricanes - Aho✓
Capitals - Lindgren*
NYR - Panarin✓
Predators - Josi
Flyers - Konecny✓

MVP per position

Defenseman - 7
Goalies - 3
Centers - 6
Wingers - 7

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Mrázek before Vlasic. I don't think Bedard is a legit option other than as a reason to watch this team at all.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
It's probably Bedard, if you're being objective. But overthinking it, I went with Foligno. He was the team captain, in all but official title, and lead the team. I think it would have been a much darker year if he hadn't made it into the learning experience the way he did.

Reactions: Felidae

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
How is it the guy with a -45 in 62 games? Two sides on the ice.
Yeah, I mean I can understand the Bedard pick given the lack of offensive talent on the roster, but the defense is almost just as bad. I dont think it should be so lopsided in Bedard's favour. Seth Jones has one of the hardest workloads of any defenseman in the league and his +/- isn't even half as bad as Bedard's is.

And then there's Mrazek who managed above average goalie stats playing with a bottom 5 defensive team.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah, I mean I can understand the Bedard pick given the lack of offensive talent on the roster, but the defense is almost just as bad. I dont think it should be so lopsided in Bedard's favour. Seth Jones has one of the hardest workloads of any defenseman in the league and his +/- isn't even half as bad as Bedard's is.

And then there's Mrazek who managed above average goalie stats playing with a bottom 5 defensive team.
Seth Jones wasn't even the Hawks best Dman, let alone MVP.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I missed two games all season. The answer is Bedard. I love how people who popped in for like maybe 5-10 games tell people who was MVP, who was more important, blah blah. #2 would be Mrazek. #3 is likely either Vlasic or Dickinson.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Fair enough, picked him moreso just to illustrate the gap in +/-.

I guess I could have used Vlasic too. But he averaged significantly less ice time. (4 min less ATOI)
ATOI is a good thing to use when minute quality is consistent. This was not the case for Seth Jones but it was for Alex Vlasic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad