2023-24 Calder Memorial Trophy finalists: Connor Bedard, Brock Faber, Luke Hughes

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Here is the prediction thread for reference:

Not to toot my own horn but I was literally the only person to mention Faber as a candidate in a 9 page topic.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Connor Bedard is going to win. He has to. Although the Calder is tainted because McDavid didn't win it, so who knows how voting will go. If anyone else other than Bedard wins it, its just as much as a sham as McDavids year.

Reactions: onetweasy

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Here is the prediction thread for reference:

Not to toot my own horn but I was literally the only person to mention Faber as a candidate in a 9 page topic.

I’m not sure playing 25 minutes a night and scoring nearly 50 points was on the radar for even most Faber fans.

I figured he’d have an excellent rookie year as a second pair, 19-20 minute reliable guy with low scoring who would probably be in the convo for an all-rookie team.

What he actually did was pretty mind-boggling.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's not just the age, but also the production.
Same reason an OLineman doesn't win rookie of the year
I never mentioned age. Simply that rookie forwards only have to be good at 1 thing to win this award; rookie defensemen have to be good at 2 (and probably great at at least 1).

Reactions: rynryn

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Not that I agree, but the same production in less games has typically been seen as a negative by voters.

And Faber is a dman who was good defensively. He didn’t need to outscore Bedard to have been better
Wasn't even close to same production. And then factor in quality of teammates. Not close.

Maybe next year they can explain to him what the thing called the "D zone" on the other side of the red line is.
Meh, they need him to score and help score, since they have literally no one else. He'll get better at D when he is surrounded by NHL talent, not AHL players.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
he did have a much better rookie year than Jack tbf
I don't think that was ever in question.

Faber had the best overall season here.
True
Hughes and Bedard are flashy and skilled, but they absolutely blow defensively.
Bedard, yes. But Hughes was fine defensively, especially when he wasn't being anchored by Brendan Smith. At 5v5, I'd argue he was better defensively than he was offensively.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I never mentioned age. Simply that rookie forwards only have to be good at 1 thing to win this award; rookie defensemen have to be good at 2 (and probably great at at least 1).
Maybe you shouldn't look at past Norris winners either.....

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Surely there was a better pick than Hughes, he struggled a lot this year.

That one seems like name recognition only.
Voters tend to care about offense more for this trophy alot.

Seeing Bedard and Faber was 100% expected and Hughes isn't a bad choice but I doubt that he get many first or second place votes as it's the first 2 guys by a mile then the pack.

Reactions: Szechwan

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Let's not forget the Corey Perry situation that Bedard also had to navigate --- whatever it may have been. That easily outweighs being a well-rounded rookie.

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
is Brock Faber the one year wonder that we will never hear of again in the future?

A lot of people on HF said Bedard was going to have 100 points and be better then Jack Hughe's in his rookie year. :thumbu:

Jack Hughe was useless and had 21 pts in 60+ games in his rookie year tho? So you're saying the people on HF were right?

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
is Brock Faber the one year wonder that we will never hear of again in the future?

Jack Hughe was useless and had 21 pts in 60+ games in his rookie year tho? So you're saying the people on HF were right?
edited my post to make easier sense.

HF people were wrong about Bedard having a better season then Hughes this year.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
even if the nhl gave defensemen (in general) the love they deserve Bedard had a unquestionably worthy season AND he's from Chicago, a market the NHL very much wants to have as much positive press as possible.
Said it throughout the year IMO what Faber did (as a more defensive focused guy) was more impressive but Bedard is going to get it--at least he's obviously worth the award too. Won't be the last hardware he wins.
Grats, Bedard!

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad