2023-24 #2: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
The Phantoms will counter this by signing some 6'7" 25 year old with .25 points per game from some college in Minnesota.

(I remember this guy's name from previous mock drafts we did)

Reactions: BernieParent

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
The Phantoms will counter this by signing some 6'7" 25 year old with .25 points per game from some college in Minnesota.

(I remember this guy's name from previous mock drafts we did)

Everyone seems to be singing these young players. Flyers signed a 26yo (the Swedish Mike Testwuide) and soon will sign a 27yo goalie. Do they not get that is is a young person's league?

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Everyone seems to be singing these young players. Flyers signed a 26yo (the Swedish Mike Testwuide) and soon will sign a 27yo goalie. Do they not get that is is a young person's league?
Following both the Bears and the Flyers, it's incredible to me how polar opposite the minor league management is between Washington and Philly. And given that the Phantoms make up a quarter of the Bears' schedule every year, I get to see them a lot.

Since they partnered with the Caps in 2005, the Bears have missed the playoffs twice, finished below. 500 once, won four Calder Cups and lost two more. The Caps have been good for most of that time but continually do a great job of keeping the Bears well-stocked and blending youth/prospects and veterans.

Meanwhile, as we all know, outside of 2018, the Phantoms haven't really done shit since leaving Philly 15 years ago.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Zayde Wisdom is having a season for the ages. 1 point in 44 games.

Just remember that even though Ron Hextall is the reason we have the team we have now, the Fletcher/Flahr tandem thought this kid was a second rounder which is why they traded up in the middle of the draft.

I would be curious what the hit rate is for trading up in the 4th round and beyond. It’s gotta be horrendous. You’re basically admitting you’re smarter than the rest of the league.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Zayde Wisdom is having a season for the ages. 1 point in 44 games.

Just remember that even though Ron Hextall is the reason we have the team we have now, the Fletcher/Flahr tandem thought this kid was a second rounder which is why they traded up in the middle of the draft.

I would be curious what the hit rate is for trading up in the 4th round and beyond. It’s gotta be horrendous. You’re basically admitting you’re smarter than the rest of the league.
4th rd picks don't matter anyway. they say

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

You made me curious too. I had to make some decisions to filter this automatically, so I decided to include the standard 7th for next year's 7th trades. YMMV on that one. The trades that are going to be missing are vets for late rounders because that's a lot harder to write into a filter and also less clear that it was a move up. Here are the last 6 drafts. That list did not inspire me to run it for more seasons, but I can.

Jayson Shaugabay
Antoine Keller
Aiden Fink
Tyler Peddle

Cameron Whitehead
Vsevolod Komarov
Nils Juntorp
Liam Arnsby

Jakub Brabenec
Carson Latimer
Ethan Del Mastro
Josh Pillar

Zayde Wisdom
Jesper Vikman
Evan Vierling
Elliot Desnoyers
Dmitry Ovchinnikov
Ryder Rolston
Ben Meehan
Pavel Novak
Ethan Bowen
Chase Bradley
Elliot Ekefjard
Oksar Magnusson
Ryan Tverberg

Aaron Huglen
Martin Has
Jakub Dobes
Isaiah Saville
Filip Cederqvist
Yegor Spiridonov
Rafael Harvey-Pinard
Vadim Zherenko

Jasper Weatherby
Milos Roman
Mikael Hakkarainen
Tim Berni
Brett Stapley
Pontus Holmberg
Alex Kannok-Leipert
Jordan Kooy

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
You made me curious too. I had to make some decisions to filter this automatically, so I decided to include the standard 7th for next year's 7th trades. YMMV on that one. The trades that are going to be missing are vets for late rounders because that's a lot harder to write into a filter and also less clear that it was a move up. Here are the last 6 drafts. That list did not inspire me to run it for more seasons, but I can.

Jayson Shaugabay
Antoine Keller
Aiden Fink
Tyler Peddle

Cameron Whitehead
Vsevolod Komarov
Nils Juntorp
Liam Arnsby

Jakub Brabenec
Carson Latimer
Ethan Del Mastro
Josh Pillar

Zayde Wisdom
Jesper Vikman
Evan Vierling
Elliot Desnoyers
Dmitry Ovchinnikov
Ryder Rolston
Ben Meehan
Pavel Novak
Ethan Bowen
Chase Bradley
Elliot Ekefjard
Oksar Magnusson
Ryan Tverberg

Aaron Huglen
Martin Has
Jakub Dobes
Isaiah Saville
Filip Cederqvist
Yegor Spiridonov
Rafael Harvey-Pinard
Vadim Zherenko

Jasper Weatherby
Milos Roman
Mikael Hakkarainen
Tim Berni
Brett Stapley
Pontus Holmberg
Alex Kannok-Leipert
Jordan Kooy

I recognize all of 2 names.

Reactions: TheKingPin

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Vsevolod Komarov looks promising but rough names overall.

Zayde Wisdom
Jesper Vikman
Evan Vierling
Elliot Desnoyers
Dmitry Ovchinnikov
Ryder Rolston
Ben Meehan
Pavel Novak
Ethan Bowen
Chase Bradley
Elliot Ekefjard
Oksar Magnusson
Ryan Tverberg
Nice work friend. Makes sense most were in 2020. That draft took 12 hours to complete because they couldn't make trades virtually within a reasonable timeframe. :laugh:

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Denver's season will end on Saturday. That gives the Flyers 1 game to offer Rizzo the only carrot (advantage) they have over every other team. After that the Flyers have nothing for this kid that is not better somewhere else.

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008
Sure, just ask Cutter how he feels about that
Rizzo isn’t the same caliber player, I’m sure that plays into it. I was being sarcastic with my second reply. If he has a shot at getting minutes with us next year, why not sign. I’m not worried either way, the worse we are next year the better for an actual rebuild

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Rizzo isn’t the same caliber player, I’m sure that plays into it. I was being sarcastic with my second reply. If he has a shot at getting minutes with us next year, why not sign. I’m not worried either way, the worse we are next year the better for an actual rebuild
I was being sarcastic as well.

I want to sign Rizzo, watched a fair bit of DU for him before his injury.

Reactions: pacehimself

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland

Jayson Shaugabay
Antoine Keller
Aiden Fink
Tyler Peddle

Cameron Whitehead
Vsevolod Komarov
Nils Juntorp
Liam Arnsby

Jakub Brabenec
Carson Latimer
Ethan Del Mastro
Josh Pillar

Zayde Wisdom
Jesper Vikman
Evan Vierling
Elliot Desnoyers
Dmitry Ovchinnikov
Ryder Rolston
Ben Meehan
Pavel Novak
Ethan Bowen
Chase Bradley
Elliot Ekefjard
Oksar Magnusson
Ryan Tverberg

Aaron Huglen
Martin Has
Jakub Dobes
Isaiah Saville
Filip Cederqvist
Yegor Spiridonov
Rafael Harvey-Pinard
Vadim Zherenko

Jasper Weatherby
Milos Roman
Mikael Hakkarainen
Tim Berni
Brett Stapley
Pontus Holmberg
Alex Kannok-Leipert
Jordan Kooy
HOF-ers for sure

• Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Isn't there a rule in the NHL about the number of 1 OA picks you can get in a 5 year period or something lke that?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Isn't there a rule in the NHL about the number of 1 OA picks you can get in a 5 year period or something lke that?

Nope. Only amount of times move up due to winning the lottery, starting from 2022.

Can only advance by winning the lottery 2x in a 5 year span.

But if a team finished 32nd 5 years in a row? They could pick first 5x.

So as things stand:

Montreal: Won... but does not count as did not move up.
Jersey: 1 win in 3
Chicago: 1 win in 3
Anaheim: Won... but does not count as did not move up.

Reactions: renberg

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Nope. Only amount of times move up due to winning the lottery, starting from 2022.

Can only advance by winning the lottery 2x in a 5 year span.

But if a team finished 32nd 5 years in a row? They could pick first 5x.

So as things stand:

Montreal: Won... but does not count as did not move up.
Jersey: 1 win in 3
Chicago: 1 win in 3
Anaheim: Won... but does not count as did not move up.
Thanks

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
in your opinion he nhl ready? or ahl for a bit?
It’s really hard to say. His production/path to NHL is very unique. I would be more confident if he did this for multiple years in a row.

From what I have seen, when the puck is on his stick he’s NHL ready. But not quite sure his whole game is there.

I would start him in AHL and see how it goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad