2023-24 #2: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Grans was such a big part of the provy deal I'm surprised he hasn't had a better year
He seems like a guy that’s similar to Seeler or Jacob Middleton, where if he makes it, it won’t be until he’s like 26. But will he wait that long or will someone back home pay him. Still on ELC for another year.

He was given a single digit number in camp which tells me they’re effusive on him.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Briere stated after the trade he didnt know anything about him. But the scouts said he can be good! He was a throw in.... nothing suprising. They saw his HEIGHT and weight and wanted him!
He was a second round pick by the kings who have been much better at grooming dmen than we have.

Reactions: scumpup

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
How has Bonk looked? I know he is doing great in the points but that London team had what 3 top 15 players in points? Curious about the other aspects

Reactions: BernieParent

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
as were 1000 of other players that never amount to anything! He was bad after his Draft. And he is bad now. So who cares, who or when he was drafted?
Well apparently we have some high end defense prospects who somehow managed to be blocked by Nick seelers extension

Wangstar

Apr 2, 2023
I stream several CHL games. Watched almost ever London game. Bonk is an offensive pp guy. With londons loaded team, he is another offensive guy. Good shot. Weakness, his dad was a big finesse player. Oliver needs weight and strength.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I stream several CHL games. Watched almost ever London game. Bonk is an offensive pp guy. With londons loaded team, he is another offensive guy. Good shot. Weakness, his dad was a big finesse player. Oliver needs weight and strength.
He's an offensive PP guy playing a position that no defensemen play in the NHL.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
He's an offensive PP guy playing a position that no defensemen play in the NHL.
Maybe they should try?

Crazy that the line-up includes only 6 actual prospects.
Prospect is kind too. We would be lucky to get one NHL player out of Andrae, Grans and Tuomaala.

The mismanagement of the Phantoms is a huge reason for the decline in this team over the last 10 years. I really hope Danny sorts this shit out.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Maybe they should try?

The Flyers used Provorov as the bumper for stretches. He looked predictably awkward. No NHL PP is consistently playing defenders in those positions. In '19-20, the Sabres experimented with net front Ristolainen on their 20th ranked PP. The Flyers tried and quickly moved off that. Because why would you not put a more talented 30 goal forward in a prime scoring area? Brayden Point is probably the best bumper in the NHL. For the Flyers, I think of Farabee and Konecny.

Bonk isn't even top 10 among OHL defensemen in non-PP goals. It's not like he possesses outlier finishing talent or some anomalous traits like Byfuglien/Chara. I put his NHL raw skill level at a bit below average among defenders.

You can watch an OHL PP and see the difference between an NHL one in spacing and pace and short area work. Bonk's footwork is absolutely not a strength, and even things like his body/stick anticipation -- opening up for shots, probing areas -- stand out to me as clunky. But he's left generally open at that level. He provides no passing element. Really, Bonk is often more of a net front role/double screener. He even rarely puck retrieves, I find. It's mostly just standing there waiting. You're not getting switch plays and versatility.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad