Prospect Info: 2023-2024 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 04.29.2024)

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
If he can improve his skating maybe. Alot more ice to cover at C.
His skating isn't an issue. Pre draft it was overblown as a shortcoming because everything else he did was elite. His skating still isnt elite but its well above average, and will probably improve with physical maturity and gains in strength.

Reactions: egelband

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
His skating isn't an issue. Pre draft it was overblown as a shortcoming because everything else he did was elite. His skating still isnt elite but its well above average, and will probably improve with physical maturity and gains in strength.

I’m about as big a Perreault fan as you’ll find on this board, but saying Perreault’s skating is “way above average “ is just factually untrue. Average is about the ceiling of what his skating will be

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
they definitely shouldn't be UFAs. the college players don't become UFAs cause there are special rules for college players, its because after 4 years they are too old and no longer eligible for the draft.

I agree with the comment that the rules likely need to be changed cause you can't sign a guy while he's in college so its not fair if you lose his rights cause he left juniors for college. but the draft status is based on the age of the player at the time his rights expire.
Players drafted at 18 go back into the draft but players drafted at 19 or 20 do not. And a player drafted at 18 might choose not to sign with the drafting team because the player now has another option to play NCAA hockey.

My point was that if CHL players can go to the NCAA this will have ramifications for players, NHL teams, the CHL and as nyr2k2 pointed out potentially the USHL. The NHL has a strong relationship with the CHL and probably doesn't want to see it weakened. This will all have to be figured out if the CHL to NHL rule is changed.

I also wonder if the current rule that an NCAA player cannot be involved with the NHL after school starts will change and we'll see some NCAA players at rookie and training camps.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Players drafted at 18 go back into the draft but players drafted at 19 or 20 do not. And a player drafted at 18 might choose not to sign with the drafting team because the player now has another option to play NCAA hockey.

My point was that if CHL players can go to the NCAA this will have ramifications for players, NHL teams, the CHL and as nyr2k2 pointed out potentially the USHL. The NHL has a strong relationship with the CHL and probably doesn't want to see it weakened. This will all have to be figured out if the CHL to NHL rule is changed.

I also wonder if the current rule that an NCAA player cannot be involved with the NHL after school starts will change and we'll see some NCAA players at rookie and training camps.
I think the rules regarding rights expiration for CHL -> NCAA players will be the same as BCHL/USHL -> NCAA players.

What are the exclusive signing rights for College Drafted Players?​

A player is considered a college-drafted player if:
  1. The player is a college student at the time of the draft, or
  2. The player enrolls into college prior to June 1 of the year following their selection (roughly a year after the draft)

As long as they enroll in college prior to June 1st of their D+1 season, the college rules should apply. If they don't, they could go back into the draft after 2 years and could then be re-drafted, enroll in college, and their new team would hold their rights until they leave college.

I can't imagine many, if any, players will refuse to sign, go back into the draft, and then go to college. If the idea is to become a UFA, they'd have to wait a total of 6 years in that scenario. They'd be better off just going to college right away and becoming a UFA 4 years later.

I'm not sure what restrictions the CHL will put on it, though. The NHL-CHL agreement doesn't allow players drafted out of the CHL to go to the AHL until they reach age 20 or complete 4 years. The NCAA doesn't currently allow players from the CHL to play in college because they are no longer considered amateurs. If the NCAA changes that rule, they will benefit from an influx of players. The CHL may want some concessions to limit the players they lose. Maybe drafted players will be required to play 1 additional year in the CHL before going to college, the way many players play an extra year in the BCHL/USHL before beginning college.

Then again, changing the rule could entice more players to play in the CHL for their draft and earlier seasons, rather than going to the BCHL or USHL. The CHL leagues would become younger overall and experience more turnover year to year.

I'm interested to see how it plays out.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I’m about as big a Perreault fan as you’ll find on this board, but saying Perreault’s skating is “way above average “ is just factually untrue. Average is about the ceiling of what his skating will be

I'd say it's pretty average right now.

I get that creating and keeping separation at the NCAA level is not the same as doing it in the NHL but if he were as bad as some have painted him out to be he wouldn't be doing that in college either. Plus he's been able to weave his way through the NZ and carry the puck up ice - Even at this level you don't do that as a below average skater.

He doesn't move around worse than Stepan did in his prime. It would not be out of the ordinary for him to add a bit more pop to his skating as he grows (and he will, he isn't even 19 yet.) I wouldn't expect him to ever be an elite skater or even a very good one, but I think it's safe to cap his ceiling at good - Which is more than he honestly needs to be impactful.

His posture bothers me more than how he actually moves FWIW. If he isn't already doing Yoga, he should probably start.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I've watched about 10-15 BC games this year. His skating is already above average. "Way" is subjective I suppose, but his skating is absolutely not a drawback. I was actually a little shocked early in BC's season because I was expecting him to be slow. He is NOT. He's quick and agile with excellent balance and good straightaway speed.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
After seeing GP for about 10-15 games this year including the WJC, I would say his skating is good, above average. He won't blow you away with lighting speed, but it won't hinder him either, especially since his edges are very good. If he can improve as he ages with strenhght and coaching, it will be even better.
In my opinion, what GP has and what will be his bread and butter in the NHL, is his IQ/decision making in the offensive zone/inside the OZ blue line. He will not enter the zone like MaKinnon or even Panarin, but once he's inside the OZ, he sees the ice so well and knows a split second before anyone what he will do with the puck to create the best chance to produce a goal. He reminds me of Adam Oates, who was an amazing passer (Brett Hull will testify to that) and has a great, deceptive shot!

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I think Gabe’s got a really ugly stride which doesn’t help with perception. Especially when he’s playing next to Smith and Leonard. But he gets where he needs to be just fine - much better than Stepan.

This board thinks Laf’s a bad skater though so our bar is reallllly high evidently.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think Gabe’s got a really ugly stride which doesn’t help with perception. Especially when he’s playing next to Smith and Leonard. But he gets where he needs to be just fine - much better than Stepan.

This board thinks Laf’s a bad skater though so our bar is reallllly high evidently.

Skating is not just speed though that's the area where Gabriel can improve his game the most.....so he should be working on that just because. Skating is also about edges and the maneuverability that a player can have and Gabriel is great at that.

In a lot of ways he seems almost like a finished product already but that's also assuming his stick skills or hockey IQ aren't going to get even better which who f***ing knows but already it's like Fox/Panarin like. For me he should still work on getting a little faster and also get a little stronger overall. After the Rangers sign him I want him walking into our top 9 right off. I don't want to see him in Hartford or on our 4th line. His hockey IQ is just too good for either of those scenarios should happen. If he's not really strong enough physically for the pros which is what I suspect he should play another year at BC and getting another year of campus life would be much better for him than riding busses in Hartford.

Reactions: bhamill

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Smith's posture bothers the hell out of me too. I actually don't think hes really that much faster/mobile than Perreault is. He definitely has a better top gear but its not that much better.

Leonard can really move though. I feel bad for all of college hockey if one or both of Perreault/Smith return next year (and they both should.) Might as well just give BC the chip and award the US U-20 team the gold.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Skating is not just speed though that's the area where Gabriel can improve his game the most.....so he should be working on that just because. Skating is also about edges and the maneuverability that a player can have and Gabriel is great at that.

In a lot of ways he seems almost like a finished product already but that's also assuming his stick skills or hockey IQ aren't going to get even better which who f***ing knows but already it's like Fox/Panarin like. For me he should still work on getting a little faster and also get a little stronger overall. After the Rangers sign him I want him walking into our top 9 right off. I don't want to see him in Hartford or on our 4th line. His hockey IQ is just too good for either of those scenarios should happen. If he's not really strong enough physically for the pros which is what I suspect he should play another year at BC and getting another year of campus life would be much better for him than riding busses in Hartford.
Oh. He should ABSOLUTELY keep working on his skating… and everything else. He’s a physically immature 18 year old, no where near a finished product.

Reactions: E-Train and cwede

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Seems to me that with the style of game he plays the biggest concern for GP trying to make the jump earlier would be his physical strength and ability to maintain possession through contact at the NHL level. That could take a minute.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Seems to me that with the style of game he plays the biggest concern for GP trying to make the jump earlier would be his physical strength and ability to maintain possession through contact at the NHL level. That could take a minute.

Yup.

It came along at the NCAA level this year but it’s not NHL ready. This is the one thing that 2 full summers before hitting a NHL training camp can really help.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They need to get Gabe working with Panarin. Panarin is not a big dude but he can hold onto the puck like a beast. He's also constantly winning battles that he has no business winning because he knows how to use everything available to him--like his stick. He uses his stick to such great effect, it compensates for a relative lack of strength.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Roobroeck just dummied some guy. It seems like they might be trying to target him physically, but he hit someone back and a player dropped the gloves (got the instigator). Roobroeck just held him at arms length for a bit, letting the guy struggle to get a punch in, then finally threw 2 punches, connected with the 2nd and dropped him.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Roobroeck just dummied some guy. It seems like they might be trying to target him physically, but he hit someone back and a player dropped the gloves (got the instigator). Roobroeck just held him at arms length for a bit, letting the guy struggle to get a punch in, then finally threw 2 punches, connected with the 2nd and dropped him.

Oshawa ended up getting a 5 on 3 and scored to go up 1-0.

Sennecke is awesome.

Reactions: egelband

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Yeah with the NIL ruling the distinction between pro and amateur is basically non-existent. So, it makes sense that this would happen. And I'm generally in favor of allowing the kids and young adults more freedom of choice.

With that said, if guys were allowed to go play in the CHL and then later enroll in college, that would be a big blow to the USHL. While most of the top talent in the USHL is of course in the USNTDP, there are still lots of guys drafted each year from the USHL, including Canadian kids and an increasing amount of European kids. I would think if the CHL leagues were an option for them, a lot would choose to go play there before college, rather than the USHL. I'm a fan of USA Hockey so I don't think I like that.
the CHL would also lose almost all of their top 18-21 year olds to the NCAA imo. that would make the CHL less intriguing over the USHL for 16-18 year olds as well.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
They need to get Gabe working with Panarin. Panarin is not a big dude but he can hold onto the puck like a beast. He's also constantly winning battles that he has no business winning because he knows how to use everything available to him--like his stick. He uses his stick to such great effect, it compensates for a relative lack of strength.
panarin is ripped. hes got that wirey strength and little body fat. looks like the guy that does a lot of work in the gym even though he looks small in equipment and next to other bigger nhlers.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Panarin was a string bean like Gabe at 18 too. Both oozing with skill and smarts. NCAA is the best route for the kid, so much time to workout between games and get bigger.

Last offseason Gabe worked out like a monster and there was very noticeable reaults, i expect the same this offseason.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Roobroeck wanted all of the smoke yesterday. He hasn't had an overly physical or mean playoff run so far but Ottawa tried to engage with him yesterday and he was more than willing to answer the bell. Played with a bug up his ass for this one after the fight that @GAGLine mentioned including smoking someone in the face off of a face off that was 100000% a penalty that went uncalled.

More of a FAFO approach than going out there and trying to impose his will but thats a good thing because theres more to his game than just that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad