2023-2024 Playoff Tracker - updated after each DET game

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I wish it was as simple as win and in. Relying on teams to lose feels like a cursed endeavor.

If you can place hope into anything, it's that Tortorella's track record would make it entirely plausible that his team will likely lose their first game promptly and end their playoff chances in game 81, but somehow motivate the team to still play spoiler and rout the Caps in game 82.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
That would be good, but they already have 90 pts, that scenario means we have to at worst go 1-0-1 to get in. We should beat MTL both, but the NHL is way closer than that, so I expect we win won and either lose in regulation or lose in OT/SO. Not only that, but lately MTL like OTT and FLA seems to have our number.
3 points is the minimum number of points we need in any scenario. There is no combination of wins and losses where anything less than us getting 90 points gets us in. Because no matter what happens there will be a team with at least 90 points (Islanders) and a team with at least 89 points that beats us in tiebreakers (Caps and/or Philly).

Reactions: schuelma24

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
NYI, Detroit, Washington and Pittsburgh could all finish with 90 points, with not a lot of upsets: NYI lose at NJD and at home vs,. motivated Pittsburgh; Detroit gets 3/4 vs. Montreal; Washington 3/4 vs. motivated Boston (for Atlantic1 and possible No.1 seed overall) and at Philly; Pittsburgh 2W vs. non-motivated Nashville and at NYI. Assuming RWs for all wins, tiebreakers would put Pittsburgh at Metro3, Washington at WC2 and put NYI ahead of Detroit in Draft order. OT/SO wins for Washington and Pittsburgh could change order for Metro3 and WC2, but Detroit and NYI would be out.

A three-way tie at 90 points involving only one of Pitt/Wash is good for Detroit, they would get WC2 ahead of NYI.

A two-way tie at 90 points with either Wash/Pit is bad for Detroit via RW tiebreaker.

Being only team at 90 points can be good or bad for Detroit.

So, get to 91 points, which is probably good for Detroit, but maybe not.

Cannot remember a playoff race this tight involving so many teams with so few games remaining.

Last edited:

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
If Detroit wins out and misses the playoffs, give Washington credit for beating Detroit twice in the last few weeks.

Those games were the biggest swings point wise.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Here's a quick breakdown of the Atlantic division vs. last season:

Boston: -14
Toronto: -7
Florida: +17
Tampa: +0
Buffalo: -8
Ottawa: -8
Montreal: +8

Detroit: +9

+/- a point or two given games remaining.

But apart from teams like Florida/Vancouver, we probably end up as one of the most improved teams this season.

So like I said, not much better results. A few more pts with a much better roster.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I mean 9 points is quite a bit and that’s not factoring in 4 more.

9 is not a lot more. That is only 4 wins and OT/SO loss. Especially when you factor in the much better roster. I think Blashill would have us basically in the same spot as Lalonde has us this year. This isn't a pro Blashill thing, more that I think Lalonde is at best an ok coach, same as Blashill.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
9 is not a lot more. That is only 4 wins and OT/SO loss. Especially when you factor in the much better roster. I think Blashill would have us basically in the same spot as Lalonde has us this year. This isn't a pro Blashill thing, more that I think Lalonde is at best an ok coach, same as Blashill.
I do agree that I think both are just mediocre coaches. Blash May be a touch harder to judge just because his rosters were just so bad

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If Detroit wins out and misses the playoffs, give Washington credit for beating Detroit twice in the last few weeks.

Those games were the biggest swings point wise.
This. Plus getting outscored 8-1 to ARIZONA and losing both games is also a major reason

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
The big difference is in GD. We were -39 last season, +2 this year.

Reactions: schuelma24

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
This. Plus getting outscored 8-1 to ARIZONA and losing both games is also a major reason
Yeah, those hurt. The Washington games were very recent though. Hell, even an extra point against Shitsburgh would have been awesome. Then again, maybe they lose to Toronto and/or Buffalo if they win those games. Washington would theoretically be done if we beat them last week.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I do agree that I think both are just mediocre coaches. Blash May be a touch harder to judge just because his rosters were just so bad

I'm not saying he was Bowman level by any stretch whatsoever. But Blash is judged far too harshly around here. He was at the head of the ship when they were tanking. You cannot judge his competency by the roster that was "his" when management wanted what they did. I don't think he was bad, but he wasn't very good either. I think for him and his career it will be important the next HC gig he gets. He would be wise to not sign to another tanking team for his next position if he cares for wanting a long time HC career in the NHL.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Playoff scenarios:

Washington win= Wings out no matter what

Wings regulation loss= Wings out no matter what

Wings 1 point= Wings make the Playoffs if Washington loses in regulation and Pittsburgh gets 0-1 points, Wings miss if Pittsburgh wins or Washington gets at least 1 point

Wings 2 points= Wings make the Playoffs if Washington gets 0-1 points, doesn't matter what Pittsburgh does

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Flyers I believe has the tiebreaker over Washington if they beat them tomorrow in regulation. So at least the Flyers will be up for it.

they do indeed and in a funny way

if the Flyers win in regulation tomorrow then them and Washington will be tied in points percentage, RW, ROW, Wins, and points earned in games against each other so it would go to the 6th tiebreaker goal differential and Washington's awful goal differential will come back to bite them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad