Detroit Red Wings Playoff Chances​

Lost to Predators 0-1, playoff odds down 12.8 to 53.7%
78 points 36 29-6

Last edited:

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
yesterday was brutal, I think its over

onve again they werent ready in the first period, this is on Lalonde at this point. I hope hes not behind the bench next year, we need a coach, not a cheerleader.
What.

They lost 1-0 versus a good team. The point or points would have been nice.

But the Wings beat Washington in their H2Hs and Washington is in trouble.

redwings8831

Jan 16, 2009
Everyone except us plays today:

Jets at Capitals - 12:30
Penguins at Avalanche - 2
Devils at Islanders - 5
Panthers at Flyers - 6
Lightning at Ducks - 8:30
Sabres at Flames - 9

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
What.

Yeah, they lost, so they got no points. I'm not in to giving "pity points", especially to a team that should not even be in this position. Had we not gong 0-7 in that stretch, we'd be comfortably in.

11 games left, we'll need to go 7-4 AT WORST to get in, I can't see this team only losing 4 games, especially considering the teams we play (Toronto, Florida, Carolina, Tampa, Rangers)

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Yeah, they lost, so they got no points. I'm not in to giving "pity points", especially to a team that should not even be in this position. Had we not gong 0-7 in that stretch, we'd be comfortably in.

11 games left, we'll need to go 7-4 AT WORST to get in, I can't see this team only losing 4 games, especially considering the teams we play (Toronto, Florida, Carolina, Tampa, Rangers)

I don't believe that. If the Wings go 7-4, that means that Islanders gotta go 8-3-1 at worst. And Washington has to go 8-5

Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Jersey all basically have to win out to catch Detroit if they go 7-4.

All the Wings have to do is quite literally watch NYI and WSH. They have a better or even record than those two to end the year, they're in.

You're taking the "Gotta get to 92 points" too literally. WSH, NYI, and DET are all quite streaky. They're just as likely to snap off losing several in a row as they are to win. 7-4 AT WORST requires that NYI and WSH play even better than that.

Reactions: SirloinUB

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I don't see Florida, Toronto, or Boston falling off a cliff in 2025.

It will be the same story for several years. The best Detroit likely does is make the Wild Card in the foreseeable future. The Metropolitan division doesn't matter because at least three of their teams are guaranteed a playoff spot under the current format.

Also, the other non-playoff teams will make moves next year to improve.

We need game changers and they don't grow on trees. Until then, we're looking at mediocrity or hopefully just above mediocre.

What.

Nashville is hot but they're basically a wildcard team riding a goalie. They're not that talented on paper. They just have a better identity than the Red Wings. They know how they want to play and everyone buys into it.

Washington is playing with confidence right now. There's nothing special about them on paper.

If the Wings even won two games during their seven game shit the bed streak, they'd be a huge favorite for that final spot.

Reactions: RedWingzz
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I don't believe that. If the Wings go 7-4, that means that Islanders gotta go 8-3-1 at worst. And Washington has to go 8-5

Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and Jersey all basically have to win out to catch Detroit if they go 7-4.

All the Wings have to do is quite literally watch NYI and WSH. They have a better or even record than those two to end the year, they're in.

You're taking the "Gotta get to 92 points" too literally. WSH, NYI, and DET are all quite streaky. They're just as likely to snap off losing several in a row as they are to win. 7-4 AT WORST requires that NYI and WSH play even better than that.
well the Caps are up 2-0 on the Jets, playing with the desperation that we should be playing with.

So that would now mean they have to go 7-5 if we go 7-4.

you are not giving Washington enough credit. They have been playing desperate hockey for a while now, and are 12-6 in their last 18. So yeah, I think its quite possible they go 7-5 or better down the stretch, in fact I think it's likely they get at least 14 more points this season.

I also dont think "92 points" is enough. I think we'll need at least 93/94 to get in, so yeah we need to go something like 7-3-1 down the stretch.

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
well the Caps are up 2-0 on the Jets, playing with the desperation that we should be playing with.

The caps also have had the luxury of playing this game and their last game when it's a back to back for the other team. Good break in their schedule for that.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

also Washington has the tiebreaker over the Wings

assuming they win today then if the Wings go 7-4 the rest of the way Washington would only need to go 6-4-1 to beat that

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
Well, I see us going 5-6 in the remaining games, even if we win both against the Caps, and they might get in even if they lose both games against us. :ha:

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
also Washington has the tiebreaker over the Wings

assuming they win today then if the Wings go 7-4 the rest of the way Washington would only need to go 6-4-1 to beat that
right, and given our opponents, 7-4 would be a miracle.

I just dont see this Capitals team suddenly falling apart and going like 5-7 down the stretch. They are playing with too much confidence and desperation, and Ovechkin is willing them to a playoff berth. Impressive for them, but pretty deflating for us.

Still hoping somehow Philly falls apart. I think thats more likely at this point.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Up 3 points on caps and their next games are against Canes and Jets? No way they win both those...

ice-cube-staring.gif

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
right, and given our opponents, 7-4 would be a miracle.

I just dont see this Capitals team suddenly falling apart and going like 5-7 down the stretch. They are playing with too much confidence and desperation, and Ovechkin is willing them to a playoff berth. Impressive for them, but pretty deflating for us.

Still hoping somehow Philly falls apart. I think thats more likely at this point.

The cap still have to win their games.

The caps have a 0.55 points percentage coming into today.

If we layer that onto the remaining games it’s equivalent to going 5-4-3 over their next 12 games. In other words that equivalent to winning 5 and losing 7 down the stretch.

Yes the caps have been surging. Their goalie has been hot but they have been outscored all season (negative goal differential).

This is a wide open race and way to premature to put a fork into the team despite the last month being very frustrating.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

If we layer that onto the remaining games it’s equivalent to going 5-4-3 over their next 12 games. In other words that equivalent to winning 5 and losing 7 down the stretch.

Yes the caps have been surging but this is a wide open race and way to premature to put a fork into the team despite the last month being very frustrating.
I'm not saying the Wings are done, I'm saying they are likely done, and if they find a way to make it, I think it will be Philly that misses.

The Wings honestly dont deserve anything though. They got over-confident as a group and thought the job was done so they mailed it in for 3 weeks.

Reactions: Winged Wheel Willy

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The Wings honestly don't deserve anything though. They got over-confident as a group and thought the job was done so they mailed it in for 3 weeks.
Whether they make the playoffs this year or not, I think Yzerman needs to make a trade or two this summer. Unload Holl (or maybe even buy him out) and keep adjusting the mix of kids and veterans to continue improving the team.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If we make playoffs nice, if we don't I would not be upset. Our kids will be year older next season. I expect Danielson, Kasper , Mazur, Edvinsson and possibly Berggren will play for the big team next season. They will improve team and we will play in post season

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

Yes the caps have been surging. Their goalie has been hot but they have been outscored all season (negative goal differential).

This is a wide open race and way to premature to put a fork into the team despite the last month being very frustrating.

Washington going 5-4-3 would put them at 92 points which would mean the Wings would need at least 93 to finish ahead of them since they also have the tiebreaker

which would mean going 7-3-1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad