NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town: Regular Season IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
I mean I agree that what Vegas is doing is bush league, and that they need to try to fix the loophole. But I think the timing is the clear issue, not the injury - a lacerated spleen is legit. Wasn't Hall ready to play by the end of March but unable to get activated until the PO? Unless I'm not remembering that correctly

My point is just that it's sort of the same move. Guy is hurt, LTIR him, bring in a big FA at the deadline with the space, wait to activate the player until PO start. I agree it's different because Vegas is doing this on a bigger scale and have an obvious pattern to it. The pattern also suggests intent, where the B's may have thought Hall wouldn't be ready. Either way, rule needs to change.

I also will admit that I'm selfishly not that outraged by it because I enjoyed watching them beat up the Oilers and Panthers last year

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Thank goodness!

Hopefully back just in time to get eliminated in round 1.

I mean I agree that what Vegas is doing is bush league, and that they need to try to fix the loophole. But I think the timing is the clear issue, not the injury - a lacerated spleen is legit. Wasn't Hall ready to play by the end of March but unable to get activated until the PO? Unless I'm not remembering that correctly

My point is just that it's sort of the same move. Guy is hurt, LTIR him, bring in a big FA at the deadline with the space, wait to activate the player until PO start. I agree it's different because Vegas is doing this on a bigger scale and have an obvious pattern to it. The pattern also suggests intent, where the B's may have thought Hall wouldn't be ready. Either way, rule needs to change.

I also will admit that I'm selfishly not that outraged by it because I enjoyed watching them beat up the Oilers and Panthers last year

Another example of an unnecessarily complicated cap system.

It’s ridiculous how complicated they make something that should be so simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOKER 192

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

I feel sad for the fans of the 'Yotes in Phoenix. There were people who legitimately loved that team but the scummy ownership groups along with the lack of stability and sustained success made it damn near impossible for the Yotes to grow a permanent fan base bigger than what they had. Add on the scandals...it's just a sad story.

I hope the new owners can finally give this team some stability and a home in Salt Lake City which will have passionate fans for decades to come. Utah looks like it could work as a hockey state.

Reactions: GatorMike

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Don't blame Vegas for this. Bruins took advantage of the rules last year, Tampa have previously as well. You'd be stupid not to if the option presents itself.

Up to the league to change the rules so that this sort of gaming of the system, or whatever you want to call it, is no longer possible.

With the Knights winning last night and the Blues losing, the western 8 is set. Just the seeding that remains to be determined.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I'm very happy for SLC. I just hope they come up with a good name/logo/uniform.

I vote for the use of the Utah Grizzlies.

1713003110294.png

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

Glad the debacle in AZ is over. The league should have pulled the plug in 2009. The franchise has been a comedy of errors over the past 15 years.

Having said all that, the league botched this move as well. I feel terrible for the players and team staff who have to deal with this news as the regular season is wrapping up.

Hopefully the ownership group will provide stability for the franchise.

And I'm sure there is no relocation fee for this sale. That only applies when teams move to Canada, apparently.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I looked it up and Provo, Ogden and Park City are all 45 minutes from SLC. If they market the area and team right I do think it could be successful.

Add in the new arena and revitalized downtown that just got approval plus the Olympics in 10 years, this is a big win.

Selfishly, I can buy a cheap airline ticket and see the Bruins and check out a place I’ve never been before.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
During the Houston Rockets' championship runs (90's), they had some epic playoff battles with the Utah Jazz (Stockton/Malone era). The Utah fans were rabid and intense.

This will work, but the Coyotes must be fixed.

The assumption is that the team's ineptitude is primarily due to poor ownership, which is fair.

But they aren't going to have the perks of Vegas and Seattle.

The team has some good young players and lots of draft picks accumulated. The years of wallowing in mediocrity have to end, and fairly quickly.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
caught the first 90 minutes of my fav pod/live stream, Black N` Gold (highly recommend) with our friends Mark Allred and our insider supreme Dom, mentioned how crazy it is this close to playoffs that we really have no idea who our first round opponent will be, simply so many possibilities, not sure I`ve ever seen this before

During the Houston Rockets' championship runs (90's), they had some epic playoff battles with the Utah Jazz (Stockton/Malone era). The Utah fans were rabid and intense.

This will work, but the Coyotes must be fixed.

The assumption is that the team's ineptitude is primarily due to poor ownership, which is fair.

But they aren't going to have the perks of Vegas and Seattle.

The team has some good young players and lots of draft picks accumulated. The years of wallowing in mediocrity have to end, and fairly quickly.
the team has so many picks and solid young prospects plus some cap space, if this new owner truly wants to win, there is a path to make them competitive sooner than later. I think they have about 5/6 mill now, maybe more come summer with a rising cap

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I looked it up and Provo, Ogden and Park City are all 45 minutes from SLC. If they market the area and team right I do think it could be successful.

Add in the new arena and revitalized downtown that just got approval plus the Olympics in 10 years, this is a big win.

Selfishly, I can buy a cheap airline ticket and see the Bruins and check out a place I’ve never been before.

Utah has always been an interesting state for sports. They support the Jazz very enthusiastically and have major college sports support as well for BYU, University of Utah, and Utah State. Salt Lake City also has shockingly good public transport and commuter rail for a city of its size out West, so that's good for game days. From what I read about it, it seems like a mini version of Denver. Maybe the arrival of the Yotes (Utes? Grizzlies? Golden Eagles?) causes there to be another hockey city in the mountain west.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
NHL are amateurs. This going on too long. Too many teams with another coming still. At this point, it’s a money grab. They will make money on it again. There better cities than UTAH.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
NHL are amateurs. This going on too long. Too many teams with another coming still. At this point, it’s a money grab. They will make money on it again. There better cities than UTAH.

Not an expansion city, this is a relocation of the Yotes to Utah. Also the owner of the Jazz was offering north 3/4ers of a billion for the Yotes to come to Salt Lake City.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Glad the debacle in AZ is over. The league should have pulled the plug in 2009. The franchise has been a comedy of errors over the past 15 years.

Having said all that, the league botched this move as well. I feel terrible for the players and team staff who have to deal with this news as the regular season is wrapping up.

Hopefully the ownership group will provide stability for the franchise.

And I'm sure there is no relocation fee for this sale. That only applies when teams move to Canada, apparently.

It’s not necessarily over.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Not an expansion city, this is a relocation of the Yotes to Utah. Also the owner of the Jazz was offering north 3/4ers of a billion for the Yotes to come to Salt Lake City.
Yah, money grab with more coming.

A) Utah is a state
B) SLC is a great sports town and the team will do very well there
3) Get ready for 2 more teams coming soon
My comment stands. You’re smarter than this.

• Haha
Reactions: Carbonated Puck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad