2023 - 2024 OHL playoff prediction thread

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Losing Gillespie takes Guelph out of that comparison. I don't see any other team that could be compared to the Petes other than the way Oshawa plays but they are a top seed.
Oshawa is interesting. They were the only east team to get to 40 wins but had to win the last 12 to do it. Are they really the top team in the east? They also are relatively young/lacking experience when compared to other contenders. They are the 15th oldest team in the league and are 9th in terms of games experience. Will be curious to see how they hold up against older teams later in the playoffs.

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
East:
Oshawa in 4
North Bay in 5
Brantford in 6
Sudbury in 7

West:
London in 4
Saginaw in 5
Soo in 6
Kitchener in 5

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Reading some comments on a few different threads, seems like a few posters are comparing last years' Peterborough team to this year's underperformers (Sudbury, Guelph). Do these posters realize that even though Peterborough last season struggled to put it all together, Simpson finished the regular season 3rd in GAA and 2nd in SAV%?

Do these posters realize that it's much more common for underperforming teams to simply continue to underperform come playoffs, and that what the Petes did last year is against all odds?

For the record, I do not draw the same similarities as these posters are between last year's Petes and any current team.

The comparison is the pre-season predictions and relative underachieving nature of the Sudbury Wolves. The Wolves are one of the best teams in the OHL on paper. Mississauga is much younger. Much younger. There is no reason to think the Wolves wouldn’t “upset” Mississauga.

A lot of people gave Oshawa a pass when all the clouds were circling around Lockhart. No one seems to have given Sudbury a pass for the clouds surrounding their “scandal.” Once the league handed down their ruling, it seems the Wolves have settled in and I believe they will start to perform as they should. They need a seven game series against a single opponent that is strong enough to give them a test but not overly strong to the point where they are unable to build confidence.

Sudbury has a goalie that backstopped a team to a Bronze Medal win. Vondras is strong bough provided he isn’t left to hang out to dry. The addition of Berehowsky, although late, will help the focus and in game adjustments.

The Wolves will simply outscore Mississauga in round one while working on tweaking the defensive structure. Then they likely go up against Oshawa (or NB if Ottawa wins the series). That will be a rough and tumble series. If Sudbury comes out the victor int hat series, I think they roll through round 3 with the confidence they’ve been lacking.

So, yes, there are similarities between the two teams (Petes and Wolves). It is now a matter of whether Sudbury can follow through in round one and be the team they should have been in the regular season just as the Petes found a way to be the team they should have been in the regular season.

Oshawa is interesting. They were the only east team to get to 40 wins but had to win the last 12 to do it. Are they really the top team in the east? They also are relatively young/lacking experience when compared to other contenders. They are the 15th oldest team in the league and are 9th in terms of games experience. Will be curious to see how they hold up against older teams later in the playoffs.

A potential Punnett injury (if long term) could make or break that team IMO. They will get through round one with relative ease. If Punnett is out in round two and they face Sudbury, it may be a really tough climb for them. They need his size, and experience on the back end.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
East:
Oshawa in 5
Kingston in 6
Brantford in 6
Sudbury in 7

West:
London in 4
Saginaw in 5
Guelph in 7
Kitchener in 6

What I want to see? London vs Brantford finals

Last edited:
Reactions: Rattler

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
I won't play the prediction game this year but I will ask this..

If you had to pick, even if you don't think an upset is likely to happen. What team most likely has the capabilities to "upset" in the first round in their respective conference?

Im going to go with Owen Sound in the west and Kingston in the east.
Erie over Kitchener I would say has a better chance at upsetting in the first round than Owen Sound....if George plays some of his best hockey, might be interesting but that's alot to throw on a rookie goalie

Reactions: HF92

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Oshawa over Barrie (6)
North Bay over Kingston (5)
Brantford over Ottawa (6)
Sudbury over Mississauga (7)

London over Flint (4)
Saginaw over Owen Sound (5)
Soo over Guelph (6)
Erie over Kitchener (7)

Opinionated

Mar 27, 2014
East:
Oshawa in 4
North Bay in 5
Brantford in 6
Sudbury in 6

West:
London in 4
Saginaw in 4
Soo in 6
Kitchener in 6

Reactions: CTrain10

Chawbadoo07

Nov 2, 2013
East
Oshawa in 4
North Bay in 5
Brantford in 6
Miss in 6

West
London in 4
Saginaw in 5
Soo in 6
Kitchener in 7

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
East:
Oshawa in 5
North Bay in 5
Sudbury in 6
Brantford in 6

West:
London in 5
Saginaw in 6
SSM in 7
Erie in 6

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I apologize to fans in the East... I've had far less views.

East:
Oshawa in 5
North Bay in 4
Brantford in 6
Mississauga in 7 (Missy Goalie Tandem FTW)

West:
London in 4
Saggy in 5 (George steals a win)
SSM in 6 (I hate to say this.... but fitting if it were in 6 as I'd be present for the heartbreak)
Erie in 7 .... oh how I wanted Kit in the playoffs, they are settling into pre-season expectations at the right time for Erie.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
East:

Oshawa in 4
North Bay in 5
Brantford in 6
Mississauga in 7

West:

London in 5
Saginaw in 5
Soo in 5
Kitchener in 6

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well I guess it's my turn. I could see a couple of upsets if it wasn't for the fact goaltending and injuries offset that. Guelph might have been an upset but losing their #1 guy will hinder that. Same could be said for Erie. Both teams will give it a valiant shot but it will fall short.

EAST
Oshawa/ Barrie - Oshawa in 4
North Bay/ Kingston- North Bay in 5
Brantford/Ottawa- Ottawa in 7
Sudbury/ Mississauga- Sudbury in 7

West
London/Flint- London in 4
Saginaw/ Owen Sound - Saginaw in 5
Soo/ Guelph- Soo in 5
Kitchener/ Erie- Kitchener in 6

Reactions: CTrain10

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
I guess the biggest shocker so far is not many (if any) people expected Ottawa may win in 5 games.

I haven't watched any of the games in this series but I wonder what Brantfords downfall has been.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I guess the biggest shocker so far is not many (if any) people expected Ottawa may win in 5 games.

I haven't watched any of the games in this series but I wonder what Brantfords downfall has been.

I picked Brantford in 4 games this series because for the last 4 weeks leading into the playoffs, Ottawa departed from their style of play. But, starting in Game 2 of this series, Ottawa shifted gears back into their regular style of heavy puck pursuit in the O-Zone which causes problem for teams being able to transition….leads to a lot of forced turnovers and dump outs leading to turnovers in the neutral zone.

Imagine Oshawa having to play a team with two Beau Jelsma’s on separate lines? When Ottawa plays with that same sort of pesky aggressiveness, they are difficult to beat because the opposition has less time and space to make passes out of their zone.

Ottawa has started to wear down Brantford.

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
I picked Brantford in 4 games this series because for the last 4 weeks leading into the playoffs, Ottawa departed from their style of play. But, starting in Game 2 of this series, Ottawa shifted gears back into their regular style of heavy puck pursuit in the O-Zone which causes problem for teams being able to transition….leads to a lot of forced turnovers and dump outs leading to turnovers in the neutral zone.

Imagine Oshawa having to play a team with two Beau Jelsma’s on separate lines? When Ottawa plays with that same sort of pesky aggressiveness, they are difficult to beat because the opposition has less time and space to make passes out of their zone.

Ottawa has started to wear down Brantford.
The one team I said I didn't want Oshawa to play in the playoffs is Ottawa. Could be a scary series for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad