Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I like cups. DA SYSTEM.
I normally laugh at the advanced stats stuff. Someone starts talking about Corsi and I wanna yell "NERRRDDDD!!!" but just for the hell of it I compared the basic possession metrics of DA SYSTEM of the last week and its 3 shots per period vs random wins in DA STRUCKSHURE era of 2011. At worst the nerds did the homework for me and it'll give me a ratio of how often we let the other team have the puck and elect not to shoot. 31.9% vs Florida. 38.9% vs VGK. Less than 50% last night.

Yeah. We're literally defending 2/3 of the game because we want to. I like Cups too but the guys are gonna get bitch slapped buying into this. I am very concerned that what we are watching now is a team actively convincing itself of its own superiority as it goes on a win streak while playing down to its competition

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I normally laugh at the advanced stats stuff. Someone starts talking about Corsi and I wanna yell "NERRRDDDD!!!" but just for the hell of it I compared the basic possession metrics of DA SYSTEM of the last week and its 3 shots per period vs random wins in DA STRUCKSHURE era of 2011. At worst the nerds did the homework for me and it'll give me a ratio of how often we let the other team have the puck and elect not to shoot. 31.9% vs Florida. 38.9% vs VGK. Less than 50% last night.

Yeah. We're literally defending 2/3 of the game because we want to. I like Cups too but the guys are gonna get bitch slapped buying into this. I am very concerned that what we are watching now is a team actively convincing itself of its own superiority as it goes on a win streak while playing down to its competition
I'm just not sure how you think the alternative is better. I kind of think you just believe it would be more entertaining, and are then trying to find an argument for why we would be better off doing it.

Chances of getting bitch slapped are high regardless. Our team is not good. The good news lately is most of our stars are playing like stars. But the depth is atrocious.

Reactions: Renopucker

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm just not sure how you think the alternative is better. I kind of think you just believe it would be more entertaining, and are then trying to find an argument for why we would be better off doing it.

Chances of getting bitch slapped are high regardless. Our team is not good. The good news lately is most of our stars are playing like stars. But the depth is atrocious.
Entertainment has nothing to do with it. I think willingly defending 2/3 of the game with a team that can't do it is a recipe for failure. No one will succeed that way. The alternative I am suggesting is just balance it more. Try to get it to 50/50. Every team that wins a title has to lock it down. But it almost sounds like you're convinced the only way we can win is if we only attack 14 minutes a game with Kucherov, Point and Stamkos on offense because that is all they are capable of. But the other team can just have whatever free for all it wants and the justification is you don't like our bottom 6. We can (in fact) attack for another 14 minutes if we want instead of immediately conceding and building a snake through the neutral zone.

We give up goals because we suck at defending 45 minutes a night because that's what we are coached to do. Not because we can't sustain any kind of attack for longer than 15

If you don't believe me watch what happens the next time we go down 2 goals. The game will instantly turn into a friggin track meet and we will tie it up in less than 20 minutes

Last edited:
Reactions: Renopucker

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Entertainment has nothing to do with it. I think willingly defending 2/3 of the game with a team that can't do it is a recipe for failure. No one will succeed that way. The alternative I am suggesting is just balance it more. Try to get it to 50/50. Every team that wins a title has to lock it down. But it almost sounds like you're convinced the only way we can win is if we only attack 14 minutes a game with Kucherov, Point and Stamkos on offense because that is all they are capable of. But the other team can just have whatever free for all it wants and the justification is you don't like our bottom 6. We can (in fact) attack for another 14 minutes if we want instead of immediately conceding and building a snake through the neutral zone.

We give up goals because we suck at defending 45 minutes a night because that's what we are coached to do. Not because we can't sustain any kind of attack for longer than 15

If you don't believe me watch what happens the next time we go down 2 goals. The game will instantly turn into a friggin track meet and we will tie it up in less than 20 minutes
Lol I'm not sure what you think this roster is going to do otherwise. They really cant sustain any kind of attack.

Suuuuure we will tie it up in less than 20 minutes. With players not named Kucherov.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
getting 3 shots per period is not our system and idk why anyone would think so. we’re just getting outplayed like crazy and winning with luck. if we keep playing like this we’re gonna start getting destroyed soon enough.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
There are some really unhappy people here during a winning streak. I understand these points, I do. But I don’t believe the Lightning are gonna get blasted by any team in the east not named the Panthers. A run seems unlikely but certainly not out of the question

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
Perbix in the doghouse? Injured? Or staff feels like Lilliberg just about as good right now and want to see if he develops more?

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Perbix in the doghouse? Injured? Or staff feels like Lilliberg just about as good right now and want to see if he develops more?
Idk about plus minus for Perbix and Lilleberg, but if they are doing same amount of mistakes, I wouuld pick Lilleberg over Perbix only becauuse Lilleberg plays hard and can hit guys

Reactions: Tampa22

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

when's the last time anyone has talked about Corsi?

xG/points shares gang

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Lol I'm not sure what you think this roster is going to do otherwise. They really cant sustain any kind of attack.

Suuuuure we will tie it up in less than 20 minutes. With players not named Kucherov.
Bah. To-may-to/To-mah-to

Last thing I wanna do is derail the thread so I'll just let it segue to something else. But let me point out how funny it is to me that we have mostly switched positions since 2016. I argued we weren't talented and you argued coaching. Now look at it. I spent the whole car ride to work cracking up about it. How the turn tables.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Bah. To-may-to/To-mah-to

Last thing I wanna do is derail the thread so I'll just let it segue to something else. But let me point out how funny it is to me that we have mostly switched positions since 2016. I argued we weren't talented and you argued coaching. Now look at it. I spent the whole car ride to work cracking up about it. How the turn tables.
You're right, we lost half our roster and suddenly you think the problem is everything else... But who knows, maybe the answer really is to let Mikey Eyssimont and Luke Glendenning off the leash.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You're right, we lost half our roster and suddenly you think the problem is everything else... But who knows, maybe the answer really is to let Mikey Eyssimont and Luke Glendenning off the leash.

Let Ace and Glendening off the leash? Wtf? I have never once suggested that. That's not what I'm talking about. If you want a suggestion: put Duclair on a line with Stamkos and Paul and Hagel with Point and Kucherov. Try to run 2 scoring lines. Let Cirelli eat the hard minutes all game long at 3C and let the likes of Glendening win faceoffs and block shots all game long. There's a time and place for everything. When we won our Cups, we locked it down in the 3rd as best we could and the other periods we focused on getting ahead and being in a position to win. That's literally all I'm asking for. I just don't believe the time and place for 18 guys to roll death by structure is 4 minutes into the 2nd and the only time we score is special teams.

Again this is getting us nowhere. Go Bolts

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Let Ace and Glendening off the leash? Wtf? I have never once suggested that. That's not what I'm talking about. If you want a suggestion: put Duclair on a line with Stamkos and Paul and Hagel with Point and Kucherov. Try to run 2 scoring lines. Let Cirelli eat the hard minutes all game long at 3C and let the likes of Glendening win faceoffs and block shots all game long. There's a time and place for everything. When we won our Cups, we locked it down in the 3rd as best we could and the other periods we focused on getting ahead and being in a position to win. That's literally all I'm asking for. I just don't believe the time and place for 18 guys to roll death by structure is 4 minutes into the 2nd and the only time we score is special teams.

Again this is getting us nowhere. Go Bolts
That's really not true though. We locked it down from the minute we got a lead. Then we were just opportunistic. We out-waited every opponent we had.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Really starting to think we are gonna have a chance at getting Hanifin on July 1st, as it all seems quiet on the re-signing front in Vegas.

If that will be the case, awesome call by JBB playing the waiting game and not paying the assets at the deadline.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Really starting to think we are gonna have a chance at getting Hanifin on July 1st, as it all seems quiet on the re-signing front in Vegas.

If that will be the case, awesome call by JBB playing the waiting game and not paying the assets at the deadline.
Agreed on the waiting front, but if that happens, it will be interesting to see how he manages the cap. There is really no way to ice at least a 22 player roster next season and have Stamkos, Hanifin, and Duclair moving ahead (even with Stamkos taking a team friendly aav).

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
I’d really rather have Sergachev play like a 8.5 million d man for a full season and De haan off the team than add hanifin..

Need a 2C and Duclair to want less than 7

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
No way Duclair takes less than 2 million/per

*A #2 Center and Duclair to want less than 7 mill a year.

Edit: I don’t think we actually end up with a center. I think we sign hanifin and Duclair and let stamkos walk. Which I’m good with

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad