2023-2024 EPL Season

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I calculated the percentages, which are comparing the % of agent fees to total transfer fees for each club. I don't understand what you're saying you think it means, but Chelsea having a lower % than Liverpool means that they proportionally spent less on agent fees. Which, as @Blender said, means that the reason their agent fees were higher in absolute $ value is because they spent a lot more on transfers overall.
Nothing like someone saying I told you so before putting in the legwork to understand if they're actually right. Chelsea paid more in gross agent fees because they paid a lot in gross transfer fees.

Not exactly a shock there. That's not greasing agents, that's common sense. In fact, given that Liverpool spent more on agent fees as a percentage of total transfer spend than Chelsea did, we can reasonably assume that Caicedo's agent would have gotten more from Liverpool.
You know I’m not sure I agree with this. If anything I think the volume that Chelsea signed might lower the percentages. For example; if we say LFC signed a bunch of players at the top of the market, those are all probably getting a higher fee than for example who ever is representing Ugochukwu/all the lower market guys Chelsea signed. Maybe jumping the gun a bit on my end without knowing how the funds were delegated, but if you give one guy 10m and one guy 2m, you are going to have the same average is you give two guys 6m each

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
You know I’m not sure I agree with this. If anything I think the volume that Chelsea signed might lower the percentages. For example; if we say LFC signed a bunch of players at the top of the market, those are all probably getting a higher fee than for example who ever is representing Ugochukwu/all the lower market guys Chelsea signed. Maybe jumping the gun a bit on my end without knowing how the funds were delegated, but if you give one guy 10m and one guy 2m, you are going to have the same average is you give two guys 6m each
The point is that you'd expect the agent fee to be relatively proportional to the total transfer fee, which would make those above percentages comparable. Chelsea bought Caicedo for €116M and Lavia for €62M, so I'd expect Lavia's agent fees to be approximately half of Caicedo's. Obviously we don't know the exact details, but when we're talking about agent fees across Liverpool's 4 signings and Chelsea's 11 signings, I think its a pretty reasonable assumption that they're relatively proportional.

And Chelsea don't have a bunch of "lower market" signings - 8 out of 11 of them were higher fees than what Liverpool paid for Endo (€20M).
  • Liverpool bought 4 players for €172M (€43.0M per player).
  • Chelsea bought 11 players for €468M (€42.5M per player).

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The point is that you'd expect the agent fee to be relatively proportional to the total transfer fee, which would make those above percentages comparable. Chelsea bought Caicedo for €116M and Lavia for €62M, so I'd expect Lavia's agent fees to be approximately half of Caicedo's. Obviously we don't know the exact details, but when we're talking about agent fees across Liverpool's 4 signings and Chelsea's 11 signings, I think its a pretty reasonable assumption that they're relatively proportional.

And Chelsea don't have a bunch of "lower market" signings - 8 out of 11 of them were higher fees than what Liverpool paid for Endo (€20M).
  • Liverpool bought 4 players for €172M (€43.0M per player).
  • Chelsea bought 11 players for €468M (€42.5M per player).
I mean you are also talking a bunch about expectations. I don’t think there is really any evidence it’s proportional. And again 10 and 2 is the same as 6 and 6. We also don’t know if it’s based on transfer fees or if there is a wage component too. A lot of variable; probably more than I cared to consider, but the one thing that I wouldn’t consider is that any of it is straight forward as being proportional

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I mean you are also talking a bunch about expectations. I don’t think there is really any evidence it’s proportional. And again 10 and 2 is the same as 6 and 6. We also don’t know if it’s based on transfer fees or if there is a wage component too. A lot of variable; probably more than I cared to consider, but the one thing that I wouldn’t consider is that any of it is straight forward as being proportional
And yet you already took a victory lap. Incredible.

Reactions: cheechoo

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
And yet you already took a victory lap. Incredible.
Incredible is having to sell hotels to meet PSR due to signings like this. Incredible is that action being approved by the powers that be. I’m just a guy writing on a message board.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Garnacho to Dortmund E4

Don't think they have the room for another winger even if they sell both Malen and Moukoko. Sancho, Adeyemi, and Bynoe-Gittens is already a strong trio, plus they've got Brunner who's too good for the youth teams and will need senior team PT next season.

Timo Werner

Also Timo Werner

Just another example of why all EPL #s need to be taken with a grain of salt :sarcasm:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Imagine the reaction if Klopp said this

(Pep is 100% right by the way) - common sense scheduling

Reactions: luiginb

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Imagine the reaction if Klopp said this

(Pep is 100% right by the way) - common sense scheduling

Crybaby shit. Use the millions upon millions that other teams don't have (besides the big clubs) to wipe away your tears and rest your legs.

Clubs on steroids crying about scheduling is the most chickenshit, unself aware stupidity. Using all this money to buy clubs and players and win a bunch of games only to cry about playing them too close to each other.

No one should have any sympathy about the scheduling for the clubs in Europe.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Crybaby shit. Use the millions upon millions that other teams don't have (besides the big clubs) to wipe away your tears and rest your legs.

Clubs on steroids crying about scheduling is the most chickenshit, unself aware stupidity. Using all this money to buy clubs and players and win a bunch of games only to cry about playing them too close to each other.

No one should have any sympathy about the scheduling for the clubs in Europe.
Right. His bench is stronger than most teams starting 11 in the Premier League on most nights and he whines about scheduling more than anyone.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Right. His bench is stronger than most teams starting 11 in the Premier League on most nights and he whines about scheduling more than anyone.
He isn’t wrong though.

It’s unbalanced, and it’s driven by broadcasters. There has to be some common sense scheduling. There’s at least a middle ground in there somewhere

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
The luckiest about to strike again

Do you guys think I make these things up?

You can make these things up for every team if you just take a closer look. Liverpool got to play against a donkey backline against United and still shit the bed.

Watkins missed City. Was back against Arsenal and scored.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You can make these things up for every team if you just take a closer look. Liverpool got to play against a donkey backline against United and still shit the bed.

Watkins missed City. Was back against Arsenal and scored.
Yeah I mean you can find isolated examples, but Arsenal have gotten this luck all season, especially since the calendar turned over. There’s no reason to deny otherwise, the lineups speak for themselves. It’s not like I’m making any of this up.

Chelsea without “not playing because I have a Cold” Palmer. Wolverhampton without, um everybody. Aston Villa without Douglas Luiz (and by your words still shit the bed). Man City with backup keeper. Man City without Rodri & KDB. LFC without Salah, Endo due to international tournaments AND losing Bradley and Szoboszlai the day before the game. Etc. These aren’t even long term injuries. This is all on card accumulations and being ruled out days before the game. That’s blind luck

This is a league with very fine margins, and this stuff matters. Yeah you have to beat what’s on the schedule , but undeniably Arsenal have gotten a ton of luck in terms of scheduling and playing teams at the right times. There’s nothing wrong with that but let’s not pretend that it’s not happening. If it’s not luck, what would you call it?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad