2023-2024 EPL Season

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

This is silly.

The drum beat to get rid of him when he's actually produced decent numbers (before a bit of a lean spell after an injury) doesn't make sense to me.

Do they need someone more ruthless? 100%. Should they eat a giant loss on Darwin to get rid of him just because the metrics say so? I would say likely no.

Especially not before a new manager comes in. There's a lot of work that needs to be done, but saying that X player is gone because Klopp is also gone is stupid.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Grace is so good!

This is silly.

The drum beat to get rid of him when he's actually produced decent numbers (before a bit of a lean spell after an injury) doesn't make sense to me.

Do they need someone more ruthless? 100%. Should they eat a giant loss on Darwin to get rid of him just because the metrics say so? I would say likely no.

Especially not before a new manager comes in. There's a lot of work that needs to be done, but saying that X player is gone because Klopp is also gone is stupid.
I mean the Edwards thing in a vacuum would be to keep Darwin and sell Salah and/or Diaz. But I think the point here is the current front office has no allegiance to Darwin. I just dont think Darwin has the technical ability to do much better than he currently is. He is like South American Lukaku. He will put up numbers. He will have moments where he looks unplayable; but his touch sucks, he can’t stay on his feet and I don’t think he can pick a corner with a gun to his head. I don’t think those things can really get coached up

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
1. The team with the most goals conceded last year was Leeds with 78. Sheffield United have conceded 72 after 27 matchweeks.
2. The team with the worst goal difference last year was Southampton, with -37. Sheffield United are currently at -50.
3. Sheffield United's goal difference is -50. The highest goal difference (Arsenal) in the league is currently +45. If they finish the season with a goal difference worse than the opposite extreme, it will be only the fourth time in the 38-game era that this has occurred (2002-03, 2007-08, and 2015-16).
4. Sheffield have conceded 72 goals, which is 4 more than the league's highest scorers (Arsenal) have scored. If they finish the season having conceded more than the best offense has scored, this would be only the fifth time in the 38-game era that this has occurred (1997-98, 2003-04, 2007-08, and 2015-16).
5. Sheffield United's current goal difference of -50, if the season ended today, would be the fourth worst since the 38-game era behind 2007-08 Derby (-69), 2021-22 Norwich (-61), and 2018-19 Huddersfield (-54).
6. Sheffield United have already conceded enough goals to have been the league's worst defense in 10 out of 28 seasons in the 38-game era.
Pulling from the MW27 thread into here, in honour of Sheffield United's relegation today.

1. Sheffield United are now at 97 GA, 21 more than last year's worst defense.
2. Sheffield's GD is -63, which is -26 worse than last year's worst GD.
3. Sheffield's GD is currently worse than Arsenal's is good by 7 goals. Unless Arsenal play Chelsea again, I expect them to become the fourth team to have a GD worse than the best team's was good.
4. It's all but confirmed that Sheffield will have conceded more than the best offense has scored, the swing is currently 15 goals.
5. Sheffield's -63 is now the second worst goal difference in PL history behind Derby 07-08. All they have to do is lose their remaining 3 fixtures by two goals apop to match it.
6. Sheffield United have now conceded the most goals in a 38 game season, with 3 matches to spare.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
var for foul calls is the best application of it.

the subjective frame picking with a 1mm line for offside calls is the dumbest shit ever with a very obvious solution

Reactions: gary69

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

the subjective frame picking with a 1mm line for offside calls is the dumbest shit ever with a very obvious solution
Yup.

They forgot what “clear and obvious” means.

Take away the zoom and the lines for offsides.

And don’t like PL officials VAR themselves. Problem solvdd

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona

Completely disagree.

Foul calls are subjective. Offside is objective.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Completely disagree.

Foul calls are subjective. Offside is objective.
The bar is clear and obvious, not subjective objective.

The insistence was always that games wouldn’t be “re-refereed”, but they very clearly are being.

Take I’ve always had - make offside based on the positioning of the feet and you’ll cut out a lot of the “where should we draw the line” bullshit

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
just draw the line thick so that it favors the attacker and then the frame selected and position on the body doesn’t matter

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
just draw the line thick so that it favors the attacker and then the frame selected and position on the body doesn’t matter
No lines. One frame. If naked eye can’t tell, you stick with call on field. As long as their are lines and zooms, it is not clear and obvious

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
No lines. One frame. If naked eye can’t tell, you stick with call on field. As long as their are lines and zooms, it is not clear and obvious
That adds subjectivity and room for scrutiny

If they just draw a fat line, everyone will be cool with it

Like if you’re marginally off a fat line that already favors attackers, cool - that should be called

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That adds subjectivity and room for scrutiny

If they just draw a fat line, everyone will be cool with it

Like if you’re marginally off a fat line that already favors attackers, cool - that should be called
I don’t agree. Line placement is subjective too.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I don’t agree. Line placement is subjective too.

It works pretty well in tennis with hawkeye or goal line technolgy. Should be able to implemented like that in football offsides too. We'll see how automatic offside works, I'd hope it will be better than what we have currently.

Reactions: luiginb

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It works pretty well in tennis with hawkeye or goal line technolgy. Should be able to implemented like that in football offsides too. We'll see how automatic offside works, I'd hope it will be better than what we have currently.
Tennis less variables .

Automated is necessary next step regardless

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I for one would rather have the VAR refs use technology to help them rather than simply squinting at their monitor and saying "looks offside to me blud, goal overturned."

But I'd be perfectly fine with fatter lines or something that gives the attacker the benefit like that.

Reactions: luiginb

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
For offside it should either be automated with a ~6 inch buffer zone or if the lines are drawn by hand you don’t get to zoom and the line is also ~6 inches thick.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
For offside it should either be automated with a ~6 inch buffer zone or if the lines are drawn by hand you don’t get to zoom and the line is also ~6 inches thick.
And the first time some guy is 6.2” off we’re right back here arguing about it. Offside is just always going to be a shitshow.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
And the first time some guy is 6.2” off we’re right back here arguing about it. Offside is just always going to be a shitshow.
Yes there's always going to be cases that come very close to the buffer zone, but I think it's far less damaging to the game to have a guy 6 inches and 1 millimeter offside called offside than a guy who is only 1 millimeter being called off.

Also if you're not within 6 inches (or a foot or whatever the buffer is), then I think it's far to call it a clear and obvious error whereas when you're within a few millimeters or an inch, it's not a clear and obvious error given the framerate and resolutions of the cameras.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad