2023-2024 Coaching/Management/Ownership

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I don't disagree with your criticism of Cronin. He's earned plenty. But I have to agree with @MMC in that if a bunch of guys barley old enough to legally drink (some still not there yet) can tune out a new coach part way through the coach's first season then we really do have a problem with the inmates running the asylum. Usually that problem crops up with lifers, not kids in for stealing their first candy bar. That would be a huge problem if true.
If that was the case coaching and management should take / have taken care of it one way or the other.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It still kind of surprises me that anyone thought we’d be decent this year. We’re performing exactly as expected?
Before this season I was thinking we’d be closer to bottom 10 than bottom 3. But if you had told me Zegras would miss most of the season, Drysdale would only play 10 games before being traded for a player who wasn’t going to be in the NHL this season, and Carlsson, McTavish, Terry, and Killorn were going to miss a ton of time dealing with numerous injuries then I would be preparing for another bottom 3 finish

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
What I see is that this team has not improved over the year. Not in wins, but in the basic fundamentals of the game. We get caught in our zone chasing the puck, we can't clear, we can't complete passes, we have little center ice presence but the opposing teams just stroll down the lane.

We take more penalties than we should, most of them are penalties. The frustrating part is other teams do the same, but there is no call. We are so undisciplined we are almost begging the refs to make a call. I've always thought the refs really despised the Ducks, but some of that might just be reacting to such a stupid team and coach. How can anyone think we will get any respect?

All of that is on the coach. No one on the team seems to know where they are supposed to be. That is really the frustrating part. I believe that Cronin, and Eakins, play man defense. I say I believe that is the system because they lose their man so much it is hard to say what the team is playing.

I was happy to see Cronin come in as a new coach as I thought even despite the lack of experience, it would be new blood and a new culture. Unfortunately it appears, at least to me, to be a very similar minor league hockey mindset of preparing players for the next level. Even benching Zegras seemed to be a move right out of a minor league coach's playbook.

The sad part is that Cronin may be right, he is preparing them for the next step. Unfortunately for Ducks fans, that next step might be the next team.

John

Reactions: Yemeth and Zegras11

Firequacker

used wall of text! It's not very effective...
Jun 3, 2022

I don't think there's anything he could've said here that would have sent my respect for him plummeting faster than this. Does he treat the players like he thinks they're this stupid, too? Is this holding them accountable?

I'd even almost believe him about Zegras (even though we all saw McTavish out there with Zegras' linemates, and IIRC even the PK guys managed to get a 5v5 shift in there too), if what he's saying about McTavish on the fourth line weren't so laughable on its face.

• Haha
Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022

I don't think there's anything he could've said here that would have sent my respect for him plummeting faster than this. Does he treat the players like he thinks they're this stupid, too? Is this holding them accountable?

I'd even almost believe him about Zegras (even though we all saw McTavish out there with Zegras' linemates, and IIRC even the PK guys managed to get a 5v5 shift in there too), if what he's saying about McTavish on the fourth line weren't so laughable on its face.

Cronin knows they broadcast games, right?

There isn't a single person on the planet believing that Zegras wasn't benched. It's one thing to do the stupid thing of benching Zegras but its another to completely deny it.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If that was the case coaching and management should take / have taken care of it one way or the other.
Well, if that was/is the case it, it doesn't have a simple solution. You can't fire the coach mid season of his first year. And you can't really fire him after only one year. And if it's really a revolt by some snot nosed kid(s) then somebody in that locker room absolutely has to go. But that realistically can't ha[pen until this summer. I think PV is in a tough spot. Something needs to happen this summer to make it clear to everybody that a repeat performance of this season doesn't happen again. And I'm not talking about the uncontrollable things like legit injuries. Maybe what happens isn't visible to us, but it better be a jolt very clear to all involved.

Reactions: Frosted Tips
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I'm willing to give Cronin some time into the next season, but something about all this has my gut saying he's definitely not the answer. And I don't normally do gut feelings.

I highly doubt much will change. Even IF we acquire better players, these guys play with no direction.

I’m not an Eakins simp but holy hell they at least made an effort in playing!

Well, if that was/is the case it, it doesn't have a simple solution. You can't fire the coach mid season of his first year. And you can't really fire him after only one year. And if it's really a revolt by some snot nosed kid(s) then somebody in that locker room absolutely has to go. But that realistically can't ha[pen until this summer. I think PV is in a tough spot. Something needs to happen this summer to make it clear to everybody that a repeat performance of this season doesn't happen again. And I'm not talking about the uncontrollable things like legit injuries. Maybe what happens isn't visible to us, but it better be a jolt very clear to all involved.

My question to Verbeek is why go so out of left-field for a HC job? He is looking just as clueless as Cronin.

Pulling the trigger on one game breaking talent doesn’t automatically excuse him for being so nonchalant with his viewings of the team

Oct 18, 2011
So where is the improvement supposed to be coming from next year? The Ducks right now are as bad as any team in the league, the high dollar free agent signings haven't helped this team win at all. I've seen Verbeeks quotes thru the years, but what's his plan to fix it other than saying the current players need to get better?

Also are we sure Cronin is the right person? Maybe we need a proven head coach because Eakins and him have both been bad

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
So where is the improvement supposed to be coming from next year? The Ducks right now are as bad as any team in the league, the high dollar free agent signings haven't helped this team win at all. I've seen Verbeeks quotes thru the years, but what's his plan to fix it other than saying the current players need to get better?

Also are we sure Cronin is the right person? Maybe we need a proven head coach because Eakins and him have both been bad
There will be a lot of new players on the team next season. Most of them proven above avg 3rd-4th liners is my guess(also Vatrano might be traded for a necas type) . Might be buy out time for fowler too. add in a Roy/pesce type. Youngsters healthy and more experienced.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
In addition to being disgraceful, tanking is also hard to pull off. It's possible to get to a point where high draft picks (even McDavids) can't save you. To avoid that you need a skilled crew behind the bench and in the manager's office. Do we have that?

Reactions: DavidBL

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
All I know is that if he actually does axe Cronin, his seat goes nuclear. General rule of thumb for me is that you as a GM get 3 head coaches before I send you packing, and you get way less rope if you’re on three in three years

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
All I know is that if he actually does axe Cronin, his seat goes nuclear. General rule of thumb for me is that you as a GM get 3 head coaches before I send you packing, and you get way less rope if you’re on three in three years
Didn't he already say something about how this year was hard for the players to adjust to Cronin, next year will be easier?

The only way Greg is getting fired is if he does something inappropriate/illegal.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I’m not going to put Eakins on Verbeek. I think Verbeek still has some rope left, but Cronin is probably running out of he can’t find any turn around with this roster.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I'm trying to keep an open mind about Cronin, as much for my own sanity as anything else, but I can't really defend that statement. It's just blatantly false and insulting.

Reactions: Firequacker

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion that Cronin is here next year. I think Verbeek sold a rebuild timeline that the 24-25 season is when we exit the rebuild and compete/make the playoffs (he has basically said as much, and I think his willingness to include a 2025 2nd in the Gauthier trade hints at that).

If Verbeek sees us flatline for the rest of the season and feels that Cronin is not capable of turning the team around fast, I could see a change as an attempt to save himself.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I’m not going to put Eakins on Verbeek. I think Verbeek still has some rope left, but Cronin is probably running out of he can’t find any turn around with this roster.

Don’t worry, the ‘accountability’ and ‘work ethic’ motto will be said all summer long by those two.

Come to think of it - that whole ‘work ethic’ and team environment mantra they keep preaching sounds like bullshit lol

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Hopefully things get better next year.

If not, and it is a revolt by snot nosed kids (plural) we are toast and there is no rebuild. Shipping out your top prospects at discount prices leaves you nothing.

It also leaves your ability to draft any high pick in question.

John

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
There's no way Cronin is let go after one season that was already slated to be a "developmental year" when all of the young guns were constantly injured and in and out of the lineup. I think (hope) we'll see some shuffling of the assistants, and come back at things next year with a hopefully healthy roster, plus some more additions from the offseason.

They have both opened themselves to very valid criticisms but this season was never do or die for either of them.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
There's no way Cronin is let go after one season that was already slated to be a "developmental year" when all of the young guns were constantly injured and in and out of the lineup. I think (hope) we'll see some shuffling of the assistants, and come back at things next year with a hopefully healthy roster, plus some more additions from the offseason.

They have both opened themselves to very valid criticisms but this season was never do or die for either of them.
Depends what our players say in our exit interviews. The last 2 seasons have been so difficult, that I would bet some of our vet players might feel that for her first time in their careers, they might have to tell some hard truths about their coaches and fellow players as well as accountability for themselves.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
My question to Verbeek is why go so out of left-field for a HC job? He is looking just as clueless as Cronin.

Pulling the trigger on one game breaking talent doesn’t automatically excuse him for being so nonchalant with his viewings of the team
Well, you're going to have to ask Verbeek, not me, Trust me when I tell you this....I am not his sock puppet HF account. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad