Salary Cap: 2023-2024 cap space usage

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
We will gain around 16.8M.

You can't really count Byron since he's on LTIR. Same goes for Price.
You can count Byron because he was against our cap planning but didn’t feature at all. That cap could’ve been used at different times.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
No need to buy out Hoffman.
Drouin Dadonov Byron gone. Most likely Dvorak or Anderson (1 of them is surely gone)
Hoffman for another year won't hurt the salary.

The 2 players that could eat the salary is Armia and Gallagher.
Armia is not an issue : the Habs won t be contenders in the next two years and he is so inconsistent he could have a great season by chance increasing his value ;) in any case, he is a warm body for the bottom 6 to shelter the youth. Gallagher is the really bad really long contract which will be a pain. Don t forget also that Price is still on the books for 4 more years, which limits the cap in the offseason.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Armia is not an issue : the Habs won t be contenders in the next two years and he is so inconsistent he could have a great season by chance increasing his value ;) in any case, he is a warm body for the bottom 6 to shelter the youth. Gallagher is the really bad really long contract which will be a pain. Don t forget also that Price is still on the books for 4 more years, which limits the cap in the offseason.
Not really worried about offseason cap for atleast 2-3 years. Price contract will be mostly peanuts by then.

I fully expect Gallagher to LITR and Armia to rot the rest of his contract. Oh well as long those 2 are there , the tank is strong

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Just stay the course. Leave the cap space.
Let another year run off of Armia Hoffman and Anderson contracts. Play a few rookies to see what we have. Maybe acquire a expiring contract like Monahan. But we could use one more “rebuild” year. Similar to detroit and Buffalo this year. Competitive games in March and April.

I would like to see army and Hoffman bought out. I believe it would generate $5 million on the cap
It’s absolutely pointless to buyout Hoffman. We have no need for cap space next year. 20M coming off the books so that’s more than enough to pay who we need to pay and even have space left over.
Hoffmans deal ends next year so why add cap to future years when we actually need it.

It’s incredibly short sighted to be buying out Hoffman this summer.

Reactions: the

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
No need to buy out Hoffman.
Drouin Dadonov Byron gone. Most likely Dvorak or Anderson (1 of them is surely gone)
Hoffman for another year won't hurt the salary.

The 2 players that could eat the salary is Armia and Gallagher.
True.......I just want Hoff gone!! Armia and Gally too, but that's just wanting too much.
Gally to LTIR to finish out his contract would be awesome, poor guy is beyond broken.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
You can count Byron because he was against our cap planning but didn’t feature at all. That cap could’ve been used at different times.
But he's not currently counting against the cap.
1674740830169.png

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Just stay the course. Leave the cap space.
Let another year run off of Armia Hoffman and Anderson contracts. Play a few rookies to see what we have. Maybe acquire a expiring contract like Monahan. But we could use one more “rebuild” year. Similar to detroit and Buffalo this year. Competitive games in March and April.

It’s absolutely pointless to buyout Hoffman. We have no need for cap space next year. 20M coming off the books so that’s more than enough to pay who we need to pay and even have space left over.
Hoffmans deal ends next year so why add cap to future years when we actually need it.

It’s incredibly short sighted to be buying out Hoffman this summer.
The issue is you can weaponize cap space AND play/develop a forward

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
-Get picks/prospects for expiring bad contracts
-Take higher short term AAV contracts for lower long term AAV contracts on the roster (Gallagher, Armia, etc.)
-Look for can't say no deals.

Keep focus on the rebuild.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Are playoffs a project for next year? If not, take dead wood like this year with the available money. Young prospects and picks are still an asset if the team exceeds expectations.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
As I have come to understand it, the Price off-season cap shouldn't be an issue whatsoever if Price is really and truly donezo.
Are playoffs a project for next year? If not, take dead wood like this year with the available money. Young prospects and picks are still an asset if the team exceeds expectations.
Playoffs should be the project. Another year of losing (third straight) might have bad downstream consequences.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Next year as in our next tank year right???? Bottom 5 finish next year lets *********ing gooooooooo

Good luck making the loffs in the atlantic lmao team is pure ass

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
As I have come to understand it, the Price off-season cap shouldn't be an issue whatsoever if Price is really and truly donezo.

Playoffs should be the project. Another year of losing (third straight) might have bad downstream consequences.
I like playoffs even with a first round exit more than a complete regular season, but with Boston downfall never happening, and the rest of the Atlantic not really declining, that an ambitious project.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
No, he said they were in a rebuild in an interview he did last month.

Montembeault also said publicly that the organisation told the players at the end of last year that they were starting a rebuild.
Interesting, I never saw that, do you have any links?

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Interesting, I never saw that, do you have any links?
I can’t find it, it’s from a few weeks ago. Someone on twitter posted the part where montembeault talked about it.

If i’m not mistaken he was being interviewed on JiC’s show on TVA sport

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Unless Monty is for real, they don't have the goaltending to be a playoff team next year imo, would think we are in for a couple bumpy years.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs will gain 20 million plus in cap space with UFA departures. Another $5 million if the were to buy out Army and Hoffman. Caulfield will take 7m and Allen $1 million. I believe Price is done so the approximate net is 12m To 17million. I think the will use he space to take cap dumps such as Zaitsev of Ottawa for prospects or picks. Another brutal bottom 5 finish next year and draft. The team will then try to add free agents in 2025 to accelerate the rebuild . In addition, Mesa, Beck and Roy are the only probable candidates for good nhl careers along with 2023 1st round picks. Thoughts?
I think he will add a big name(Dubois), instead of taking cap dump like Zaitsev. Monahan, Edmunston, Anderson gone by deadline. Hughes adds two first pick, one next year. He probably add a prospect who is close also. Like he did with Barron last season.

If they have a good draft and trade for a Dubois, I think this team can contend next year.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Besides renewing Caufield and Harris,
Habs will gain 20 million plus in cap space with UFA departures. Another $5 million if the were to buy out Army and Hoffman. Caulfield will take 7m and Allen $1 million. I believe Price is done so the approximate net is 12m To 17million. I think the will use he space to take cap dumps such as Zaitsev of Ottawa for prospects or picks. Another brutal bottom 5 finish next year and draft. The team will then try to add free agents in 2025 to accelerate the rebuild . In addition, Mesa, Beck and Roy are the only probable candidates for good nhl careers along with 2023 1st round picks. Thoughts?

No need to buy out Hoffman; his contract expires in a rebuild year. He’ll either be traded with maximum retention for a mid-round pick, or let go in the summer if there’s no taker before TDL 2024.

Armia could eventually be bought out, but then again, no need to seriously consider this option while the rebuild is still on. Trading him for a higher AAV / shorter term player should the optimal way to get rid of his contract.

Amongst the signed players, Edmundson will not finish his contract and be traded by TDL 2024, preferably sooner. Gallagher might very well end up LITRed with Price before long, but let’s keep his 6.5M AAV on the books for the exercise.

As for the renewals, Caufield should get around 8M AAV, Harris under 2M AAV, and there should be a few under 1M AAV players on the roster as well, namely Ylonen, RHP and/or Farrell.

Under these assumptions, the Habs will have over 10M in cap space for 2023-2024, enough leeway to leverage their cap space to bolster the core, especially with another 8M off the books (Hoffman+Edmunson) in 2024, and that is notwithstanding a likely significant salary cap increase for 2024-2025.

Considering this, picking a projected top-6 forward in the top-7 at the 2023 draft and using FLA’s 1st as the main incentive in a package to aggressively pursue a impactful player within the Habs’ new core age window (Dubois or a RHD) this offseason seems wise.

2024-2025 should be a hybrid year in which the Habs put their young core to the test to evaluate the organization’s most dire needs.

Is Montembault G1 material after all? Can the Habs’s young D corps rise to the occasion? Can the combined addition of ELC players (and Dubois?) provide a balanced top-9 to start competing sooner than later?

Once next season will have provided answers to these questions, HuGo will then be able to use the Habs’ crucial 2024 offseason to address the direst need(s).

I for one think Montembault could indeed be a surprising internal solution between the pipes. As for the D corps, packaging one of the young LHD (likely Harris, considering Guhle and Xhekaj appear to be keepers) for a RHD seems opportune. Alternatively, the Habs’ cap space could be use to sign a UFA RHD, the position less likely to be filled internally. As for the forwards, if the Habs can’t acquire Dubois/U25 top-6 forward this summer, his acquisition should definitely be revisited in the 2024 offseason.

Reactions: Habs 4 ever

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
I think he will add a big name(Dubois), instead of taking cap dump like Zaitsev. Monahan, Edmunston, Anderson gone by deadline. Hughes adds two first pick, one next year. He probably add a prospect who is close also. Like he did with Barron last season.

If they have a good draft and trade for a Dubois, I think this team can contend next year.
I think you are a little short on details

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Unless Monty is for real, they don't have the goaltending to be a playoff team next year imo, would think we are in for a couple bumpy years.
Even Price didn't prevent his team to miss on some years. Competition is at a very high level in the Atlantic and some teams will have to fall down for the Habs to become top 4 again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad