Salary Cap: 2023-2024 cap space usage

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Habs will gain 20 million plus in cap space with UFA departures. Another $5 million if the were to buy out Army and Hoffman. Caulfield will take 7m and Allen $1 million. I believe Price is done so the approximate net is 12m To 17million. I think the will use he space to take cap dumps such as Zaitsev of Ottawa for prospects or picks. Another brutal bottom 5 finish next year and draft. The team will then try to add free agents in 2025 to accelerate the rebuild . In addition, Mesa, Beck and Roy are the only probable candidates for good nhl careers along with 2023 1st round picks. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapala

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I don't think we should be too aggressive such as aiming for the playoffs, but I also don't think it would be a bad idea to insulate our young guys with a bit more talent next year - such as a top 6 forward to play with Dach and maybe a PPQB. I just think in order to help Dach take the next step at C, he'll need a legit winger to play with.

Another top 5 pick would be great, but it is also important to ensure our young guys continue to develop and we are able to be a bit more competitive.

Next year the main focus should be to see Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Dach, Slaf, Harris, Xhekaj, Barron etc continue to develop. If we could see our young players make strides and add another top 10 pick that would be great, with the following year the hope being that they can compete to make the playoffs.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
20 Million is nice but we still have 40 Million dollars worth of problems.:sarcasm: Stay the course We need a couple top 6 forwards with size and jam (gotta have both) who can skate hit and execute basic hockey plays. We need a completely revamped bottom 6 again our prospects aren't behemoths so a 4th line similar in Cap and effectiveness to what Vegas has . We also need a really strong player to play with Beck/Mesar eventually. It could be where Slaf/Roy fits best we just don't know yet. We've also got a truckload of dumping to do to make room for these players which always seems counter-intuitive. But if we are serious about contending in the top tier it has to be done. So we shouldn't fall in love with the Pitlicks/Evans' types of our world. Our D is still liquid and it remains to be seen if guys like Kovacevic and Harris can stick. My guess is we need upgrades on one and maybe both depending on how the others progress (Mailloux/Hutson) If either of those guys crack the line up in the next two years we will need another mean physical banger. Finally goaltending I'm liking Sam's trajectory and his team mates seem to like playing for him. I'd like to find the other half in a 50/50 split season scenario and then go with the hot hand once we do make the show. I think it will be very very hard to accomplish all this in the next couple of seasons. Needless to say this upcoming draft is critical we need to hit big with our first two bullets.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Try to find a good top6 center m otherwise weaponize that cap space while there is a cap crunch:
- sign a good UFA for 1 year and trade him a TDL (like Klingberg)
- get picks in exchange for absorbing a short term bad contract or (even better) retain salary in a 3-way deal but don’t get stuck with a bad asset.

Next year should be better then this one but still focused on Dev, we’re not making the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: SupRocket

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Isn't Molson on record for not wanting to rebuild? That kind of makes it hard to try to tank the season before it even begins. Hughes no doubt had some wriggle room last summer because he could blame it all on the cap problems which tied his hands. But this summer he can't really argue that, so we may take a cap dump but it's going to be a player who can still play.

We'll have to see what happens at the TDL, if we pick up another 1st then my expectation is that we would make a splash at the draft and make a trade for a big name player (Not limited to PLD even if he's the most talked about). Otherwise I would expect a more moderate signing/trade). And although the big missing pieces are that #1 PMD and goalie I would imagine it being a forward to help round out our top-6 and give guys like Slaf and Dach a quality player to help their offensive game.

I would also say that it's probably a good idea to start improving as a team because too much losing is bad for development and even with star players you often end up not actually being better. I would expect the plan is to try and be a bubble team next year which might not be that far fetched depending on how much growth our young guys have.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Thoughts?

Who we draft this year changes a lot of things - Bedard or Fantilli and we are looking to get competitive quickly. Anyone else, we are okay with another down year.

There are some talented offensive UFAs - Kane, ROR, Tarasenko, Pastrnak, Larkin, Meier. Horvat - not sure any of those guys would have any interest in Montreal, though.

Kane, Pasta, Larkin and ROR all likely end up staying where they're at.

Strome, Ghost, Dumba and Killorn are the players (if there are any) I could see getting offers to come to Montreal.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Habs will gain 20 million plus in cap space with UFA departures. Another $5 million if the were to buy out Army and Hoffman. Caulfield will take 7m and Allen $1 million. I believe Price is done so the approximate net is 12m To 17million. I think the will use he space to take cap dumps such as Zaitsev of Ottawa for prospects or picks. Another brutal bottom 5 finish next year and draft. The team will then try to add free agents in 2025 to accelerate the rebuild . In addition, Mesa, Beck and Roy are the only probable candidates for good nhl careers along with 2023 1st round picks. Thoughts?

We will gain around 16.8M.

You can't really count Byron since he's on LTIR. Same goes for Price.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Habs will not be a destination for UFA's.......................
HuGo will continue to do what they are currently doing, picks and prospects....
The following year, could be a different story....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If we make no moves other than signing Caufield and Harris, we have around $11M in cap space. When you look at the D, you see that we basically have to trade Eddy to unblock the log jamb. I think we will retain 50% and get a 1st so that's another $1.75M in cap space. So it's likely we have around $12.5M in cap.

Lets say we trade for Dubois.. Someone like Armia or Dvorak is going the other way. $8.5M - $4M (+/-) = $4.5M off our cap. So it might be around $8M in cap space.

GySwdwQ.png

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Who we draft this year changes a lot of things - Bedard or Fantilli and we are looking to get competitive quickly. Anyone else, we are okay with another down year.

There are some talented offensive UFAs - Kane, ROR, Tarasenko, Pastrnak, Larkin, Meier. Horvat - not sure any of those guys would have any interest in Montreal, though.

Kane, Pasta, Larkin and ROR all likely end up staying where they're at.

Strome, Ghost, Dumba and Killorn are the players (if there are any) I could see getting offers to come to Montreal.
Fantilli is projected to be a low first or high second line center, per Bob MckEnzie.

So if this is true, which is believable, then other than doing everything possible to not hurt the chances at Bedard, there is no reason to hold off building the squad just to prioritize other 2023 or 2024 picks.

I would trade for Dubois, extend Monahan for 2 years or so until Beck is ready, move Edmundson, Hoffman and Dvorak for picks or prospects or as part of the Dubois deal. I'm back and forth on this but maybe we keep Anderson another year or two until another top 9 winger grabs his spot.

Assume we draft Will Smith or Ryan Leonard as an offensive forward and he takes one year in the NCAA before turning pro (with Hutson) in 2024.

I think Farrell and Roy make the team next year with Heineman and Kidney in Laval along with Mailloux and Dobes.

Caufield-Suzuki-Dach
Slafkovsky-Dubois-Anderson
Farrell-Monahan-Ylonen
Roy-Evans-Gallagher
...Armia

Matheson-Barron
Guhle-Savard
Harris-Xhekaj
...Kovacevic, Wideman

Montembeault
Allen

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fantilli is projected to be a low first or high second line center, per Bob MckEnzie.

So if this is true, which is believable, then other than doing everything possible to not hurt the chances at Bedard, there is no reason to hold off building the squad just to prioritize other 2023 or 2024 picks.

I would trade for Dubois, extend Monahan for 2 years or so until Beck is ready, move Edmundson, Hoffman and Dvorak for picks or prospects or as part of the Dubois deal. I'm back and forth on this but maybe we keep Anderson another year or two until another top 9 winger grabs his spot.

Assume we draft Will Smith or Ryan Leonard as an offensive forward and he takes one year in the NCAA before turning pro (with Hutson) in 2024.

I think Farrell and Roy make the team next year with Heineman and Kidney in Laval along with Mailloux and Dobes.

Caufield-Suzuki-Dach
Slafkovsky-Dubois-Anderson
Farrell-Monahan-Ylonen
Roy-Evans-Gallagher
...Armia

Matheson-Barron
Guhle-Savard
Harris-Xhekaj
...Kovacevic, Wideman

Montembeault
Allen

I think Heineman has a real shot at making the roster next season. He's physically ready and he has very good skating and work ethic. Also has a NHL shot.

Heineman, Farrell, and Ylonen are older and more NHL ready. Roy will have to outperform them in camp to make it as a 20 year old. Possible so we will see. We don't have 4+ open spots. More like 2 and will be 3 if Slaf doesn't take a step forward.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think Heineman has a real shot at making the roster next season. He's physically ready and he has very good skating and work ethic. Also has a NHL shot.

Heineman, Farrell, and Ylonen are older and more NHL ready. Roy will have to outperform them in camp to make it as a 20 year old. Possible so we will see. We don't have 4+ open spots. More like 2 and will be 3 if Slaf doesn't take a step forward.
The issue with Heineman is the teenie weenie one of production. I think he needs to develop his game more while Roy is more NHL ready. But sure I could be wrong, it's happened before!

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The issue with Heineman is the teenie weenie one of production. I think he needs to develop his game more while Roy is more NHL ready. But sure I could be wrong, it's happened before!

Heineman should have the luxury of spending some AHL time next year.

Farrell, RHP and Ylonen will definitely be up. Roy will have a shot.

Reactions: Sagikev

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
If we make no moves other than signing Caufield and Harris, we have around $11M in cap space. When you look at the D, you see that we basically have to trade Eddy to unblock the log jamb. I think we will retain 50% and get a 1st so that's another $1.75M in cap space. So it's likely we have around $12.5M in cap.

Lets say we trade for Dubois.. Someone like Armia or Dvorak is going the other way. $8.5M - $4M (+/-) = $4.5M off our cap. So it might be around $8M in cap space.

GySwdwQ.png
You have 24 players on a 23 roster. Harris is not going to get 2 million. They will go with 7 defenders not 9. Just an opinion

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
He will sign in Boston for 10M per.......................they will not let him go to UFA.

I think we should buy out Offman...............really need this guy gone with Drou, and Dadonov,..
I would like to see army and Hoffman bought out. I believe it would generate $5 million on the cap

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You have 24 players on a 23 roster. Harris is not going to get 2 million. They will go with 7 defenders not 9. Just an opinion

Read the entire thing vs trying to nit pick around the edges. I talked about Eddy and the log jamb on D. That would make it 23 players.

Harris could get $2M if they go longer deal. What are you thinking? $1M and a one way contract? That is possible but the point of that exercise was cap space. I rather be conservative. Liljegren on the Leafs got $1.4M for two years for his age 23 season (after his ELC). I see Harris close to that and I won't be surprised if his AAV is $2M next year. Depends on term

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Isn't Molson on record for not wanting to rebuild? That kind of makes it hard to try to tank the season before it even begins. Hughes no doubt had some wriggle room last summer because he could blame it all on the cap problems which tied his hands. But this summer he can't really argue that, so we may take a cap dump but it's going to be a player who can still play.

We'll have to see what happens at the TDL, if we pick up another 1st then my expectation is that we would make a splash at the draft and make a trade for a big name player (Not limited to PLD even if he's the most talked about). Otherwise I would expect a more moderate signing/trade). And although the big missing pieces are that #1 PMD and goalie I would imagine it being a forward to help round out our top-6 and give guys like Slaf and Dach a quality player to help their offensive game.

I would also say that it's probably a good idea to start improving as a team because too much losing is bad for development and even with star players you often end up not actually being better. I would expect the plan is to try and be a bubble team next year which might not be that far fetched depending on how much growth our young guys have.
No, he said they were in a rebuild in an interview he did last month.

Montembeault also said publicly that the organisation told the players at the end of last year that they were starting a rebuild.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
He will sign in Boston for 10M per.......................they will not let him go to UFA.

I think we should buy out Offman...............really need this guy gone with Drou, and Dadonov,..
No need to buy out Hoffman.
Drouin Dadonov Byron gone. Most likely Dvorak or Anderson (1 of them is surely gone)
Hoffman for another year won't hurt the salary.

The 2 players that could eat the salary is Armia and Gallagher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad