Prospect Info: 2023 1st Rd Selection - #28 OA (via BOS, WSH) - C, Easton Cowan [London Knights, OHL; [Height 5.11 -- Weight 185]

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Cowan won't have to worry about the fans while he's still on his ELC.

My advice to him when he asks for his first pay raise after that restraint of trade though is duck and cover.
he'll be fine al long as he or the team leak a good story through their insiders

AM - the deep pocketed yotes were going to offer sheet him at 20% of the cap
JT - multiple teams were offering 14/15m so him signing for the highest cap hit in the league was a discount

through some pics in some Leaf merch and he's gold

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Those are crazy numbers. 4 games: 15 points. Guy goes on a record point streak then shows up in the playoffs. MVP everywhere.. Now the Memorial Cup: Round-Robin – Game 2 – Saturday, May 25 – London vs. Drummondville (4 p.m. ET / 1 p.m. PT)

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
No he said it because he means it, kid had a Marner jersey. It’s okay if someone says something nice about Mitch, it’s okay.
Yeah that's what I mean. I'm not saying he's had media coaching. Marner is a legend to the London Knights. Of course he's going to sing MMs praises

Reactions: arso40

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Yeah, he's a London Knight, Mitch was a London Knight.

I'm sure he also mentions Dylan Strome taken before marner ... or maybe not?

"He texted me after I won the OHL MVP," Cowan said. "He texted me after the Western Conference [final] and then he texted me a couple days ago about the MVP for the playoffs. I hear from him a lot. We actually text quite a bit. It means a lot. He's a great role model for me. Pretty cool when he's texting you and pretty cool to win the same stuff he's won."

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

LONDON KNIGHTS

Easton Cowan, F, 5-foot-11, 185 pounds
Drafted 28th overall in 2023 (Toronto): 54GP-34G-62A | 18GP-10G-24A

Cowan's game started to trend upwards in the second half of the 2023 season and he hasn't looked back. He topped off a fantastic regular season with playoff scoring that led the entire CHL. At the end of the season, he was named the OHL's Most Outstanding Player.

Cowan can play the game a variety of ways. He has quick strike ability off the rush, works off the cycle proficiently, and has proven he can score from distance with an accurate release. He also has the hockey sense and commitment to be used in all situations. When he doesn't have the puck, he works to regain possession for his group with his pursuit.

Cowan has the pace, skill, and compete that projects to be more than just a scoring forward at the NHL level.

NHL Projection: Top-six forward, deployed in all situations
1716477964420.png

Reactions: SprDaVE

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Something to consider regarding Cowen - he's not eligible to play in the AHL next season.

If he doesn't make the NHL team, he would have to go back to London.

People who watch him closer than I do could probably comment more, but feels like he's probably too good to go back to junior for another year?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Something to consider regarding Cowen - he's not eligible to play in the AHL next season.

People who watch him closer than I do could probably comment more, but feels like he's probably too good to go back to junior for another year?

As an 18 year old he was already OHL regular season MVP (Red Tilson Trophy) and OHL playoff MVP ((Wayne Gretzky 99 Award) and could top this off by leading his team to the Memorial Cup and be named tournament MVP there also. Then he will get a looooooong look at Leafs camp.

He will look good on Leafs 3rd "KID LINE" next year ...

Knies --- Minten --- Cowen

"Play the Kids" !!!

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The fact that Mitch Marner performed those same feats certainly takes some of hype off for me even though it really shouldn’t lol. He’s a fantastic prospect and a steal at 28th.
As much as Marner has poisoned the well the last few years, if you got a Marner calibre player at #28 you should be ecstatic lol. Also Cowan is closer to a guy like Kadri in terms of heart and play style than he is Marner anyways.

Can't comment too much on this but IMO the only real benefit of him going back would be that he could play C for a whole year. If he becomes a legitimate C prospect for us that's pretty huge given that we don't have much there outside of Minten (who probably ends up a 3C type) in the pipeline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad