Pre-Game Talk: 2022 Young Stars Classic 16th-19th September

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Philip kinda reminds me of Ryan . Both even played for Alberta. Really liking Broberg tonight so far

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
It used be the nucks, flames, Oilers and sharks, with the nucks "hosting" in Penticton. Basically the western Canadian teams, they swapped the jets for the sharks for obvious reasons.

Makes sense to me, it's easy enough to gather all the teams and staff for it.
Ok, I was just thinking that tournament name is Young Stars... but they don't have any.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Where does James Hamblin rank on the organizational depth chart?
Where does Michael Kesselring rank on the organizational depth chart?
Who impressed you more in their game played, Ryan Fanti or Olivier Rodrigue?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I'm not paying attention to the other prospect pools.

How are the Nux Flamers and Jits prospects compared to ours?

I'm more than a little late on this, but as a Canucks fan it can be said that the Canucks' "young stars" roster is viewed by Canucks' fans as woefully weak. Years of trading picks and prospects for immediate help together with some of the higher rated prospects playing in Europe or the NCAA combine to pretty much gut the roster. Three of the more interesting prospects for the Canucks are Latvian goaltender Arturs Silovs, Belarussian forward Danila Klimovich and 20 year old undrafted forward Arshdeep Bains, who I believe led the WHL in scoring last season.

I was very surprised when the Canucks' young stars won their first game of the tournament.
Never makes much sense to me that this is played in Okanagan all the time. Why shouldn't they move it around a bit and give some other people a chance to watch it? The region is too far from Edmonton to rationalize driving out to it and the hotel costs in the region are pricey. Plus I despise the region.

But this is a quicker trip from Vancouver or Calgary but from Edmonton the route is around 11hr drive. I don't like airports.

If this was almost anywhere else I would consider going to it.
You make a very reasonable point. The location isn't particularly convenient for the fans of any team, but there is a big difference between someone driving 4 hours from Vancouver, 8 from Calgary, 10.5 from Edmonton or 20 hours from Winnipeg.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that as a holiday and convention destination just coming off the summer tourist season, the available facilities and lodging places just entering their off seasons and unused facilities while the weather is still normally warm and dry but with wildfires mostly subsided, it is viewed as a desirable location with excellent facilities for the tournament and that the lodging and facilities are deeply discounted for the tournament. I used to go to an activity there in early to mid June, the other end of the summer tourist season, and lodging was very cheap because there at that time weren't many tourists coming yet to fill up the large number of motels and hotels in the area.

Note that in saying that I'm not arguing in favour of the tournament staying put, just offering a possible explanation.

Edit: spelling error

Last edited:

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Sorry to hear that. It used to be a beautiful place. That’s not good…
No
Pulp mill still closed, car works tore down
Between those 2 employers, couple thousand good jobs gone. Lots of meth on streets

pretty typical for lots of small run down towns in Canada I figure

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad