Prospect Info: 2022 WJC Thread

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Just rewatched the entire USA vs Slovakia game from last night and sorry but despite the role he was playing Luke Hughes wasn’t nearly good enough. Wasn’t terrible and had some decent plays but he had too many turnovers and mistakes and he wasn’t really making anything happen even when he got the puck in pretty good spots.

I mean...Edvinsson didn't have a great game yesterday so, I guess all that hype was for nothing eh :P

Reactions: HyperX

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Slovakia was the superior team tonight, but Wallstedt was outstanding and the refereeing was abominably favoring Sweden, especially early on. The Slovaks could have been on the PP for the entire first period. This Slovakian team is seriously good -- physical, skilled and multi-dimensional. I think we'll see them with a big win or two before this tournament is all said and done.

The slovaks last night reminded me of the devils. Dominating play but run into a hot goalie and a few mistakes cost them the game and lack of finishing hurts them. Oh and not capitalizing on a very critical pp. Sounds familiar eh?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Man, having the US game cancelled has screwed up my day. I wanted to see L. Hughes in action but I guess I'll have to wait a couple more days.

FascinationStreet

Dec 6, 2021
Despite the assist I didn’t like eklunds game at all last night. I believe he was a possible option at 4 in the draft.

The WJC is not a good representation of what the player will be long term. Nico was great in the tournament and he’s a certifiable bust :sarcasm:

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
How do you even get sick in what's supposed to be a mini bubble, it's barely a few weeks, stay the f*** in the hotel and wear your mask.

At least there is no regulation this year in case they have to forfeit more games.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Why didn't they just remove both kids who were diagnosed with COVID and still play the game? If the goalie was one of the kids who got hit with this virus, didn't they have a backup and a 3rd option as well?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How do you even get sick in what's supposed to be a mini bubble, it's barely a few weeks, stay the f*** in the hotel and wear your mask.

At least there is no regulation this year in case they have to forfeit more games.
It's just too easy to spread these things in a locker room and you can't wear the mask in the locker room (mostly) or out on the ice or on the benches.

Even simple colds and stomach bugs go around easily in there.

Reactions: Darkauron

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Edvinsson’s game yesterday wasn’t as good as his first but was still but was still better than Luke’s first.

Edvinsson is playing quite well, I've been very impressed with his game. As for Luke Hughes, I think we're better off judging him on his stellar season with the University of Michigan than on 13 minutes of play in his first-ever WJC game.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Edvinsson is playing quite well, I've been very impressed with his game. As for Luke Hughes, I think we're better off judging him on his stellar season with the University of Michigan than on 13 minutes of play in his first-ever WJC game.

I don't think anyone is judging him on his 13 minutes but some are more dissapointed by the fact that he's getting bumped by a kid that was picked in the same draft, 50 or so picks after him, to work the PP which is supposed to be a key part of his game.

Like some have said, when you're picked 4th overall, you don't expect that kid to be the 7th dman and play the PK when the one knock he had coming into the draft was his overall defensive awareness. It's not the end of the world but it's not nothing either. With that said, it's a lot easier to look good/great when playing on a stacked Michigan team, facing teams that aren't as good as what he has to face in this current tournament.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think anyone is judging him on his 13 minutes but are more dissapointed by the fact that he's getting bumped by a kid that was picked in the same draft, 50 or so picks after him, to work the PP which is supposed to be a key part of his game.

Like some have said, when you're picked 4th overall, you don't expect that kid to be the 7th dman and play the PK when the one knock he had coming into the draft was his overall defensive awareness. It's not the end of the world but it's not nothing either. With that said, it's a lot easier to look good/great when playing on a stacked Michigan team, facing teams that aren't as good as what he has to face in this current tournament.

I absolutely see your point, but I'm not really judging Luke Hughes' potential on one questionable decision by his tournament coach.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I absolutely see your point, but I'm not really judging Luke Hughes' potential on one questionable decision by his tournament coach.

Could't agree more, but I also understand the fans that are left scratching their heads, asking themselves why he's getting bumped off the PP by a guy who wasn't picked in the 1st round when we were sold that Luke Hughes is probably the best skater not in the NHL and has elite offensive skills.

I've been following this tournament my entire life and I've seen my fair share of head scratching decisions and maybe this is just another one to add to the pile, just like when Mercer was utilized as the 13th forward by team Canada when he was clearly better then half those kids in the lineup, who knows.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Czechia forfeits their match against Finland… this is turning out to be a joke of a tournament!

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Bob also states that unless the tournament makes up a rule that they can reschedule games then they will also have to forfeit the game against Austria as there won’t be enough time to clear protocol.

The tournament is becoming a sham for competitiveness, without getting into whether I think the rules are prudent or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad