Blue Jays GDT: 2022 v2 | Thu, Apr 21 | @ BOS | 1:30pm ET/10:30am PT | Gausman vs Houck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Chapman and Romano help him out though.

Ha, what? You blame Montoyo for screwing up by bringing Romano in, but then say Romano "helped him out"?

I would have been fine giving Gausman a little more rope in the 9th considering how fantastic he was today, but going to your well-rested elite closer with the tying run on deck and none out in the 9th is a pretty damn solid move. Montoyo makes enough dumb decisions on his own... it boggles my mind how many people seem to be desperate to blame everything on him.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Massive series win for the Jays, taking 2 of 3 at Fenway is never an easy task.

Gausman and Berrios are starting to round into form, and honestly so does Yusei which is great sign. BoSox hitters looked lost against Gaus today as they couldn't generate anything until the 9th. Romano didn't have his best but he clutched up getting those 3 straight groundballs to close it out.

What's most impressive about this start is they haven't been at their A-game and they're still finding ways to win through good pitching and defense with some timely hits. This is a game they definitely would've blown last year with Chatwood and Dolis at the backend of the pen.

Off to the Astros where Springer can finally make his return. Taking 2/3 from Houston would be YYYUGE

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Ha, what? You blame Montoyo for screwing up by bringing Romano in, but then say Romano "helped him out"?

I would have been fine giving Gausman a little more rope in the 9th considering how fantastic he was today, but going to your well-rested elite closer with the tying run on deck and none out in the 9th is a pretty damn solid move. Montoyo makes enough dumb decisions on his own... it boggles my mind how many people seem to be desperate to blame everything on him.
Honestly they should've taken out Gausman after the 8th. When you have an elite closer in your pen who hasn't pitched in 3 days, you never hesistate to use him

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

Its actually wild at this point.

If anything my criticism of Montoyo would be not giving Romano a clean inning and that is just extremely nitpicky.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Massive series win for the Jays, taking 2 of 3 at Fenway is never an easy task.

Gausman and Berrios are starting to round into form, and honestly so does Yusei which is great sign. BoSox hitters looked lost against Gaus today as they couldn't generate anything until the 9th. Romano didn't have his best but he clutched up getting those 3 straight groundballs to close it out.

What's most impressive about this start is they haven't been at their A-game and they're still finding ways to win through good pitching and defense with some timely hits. This is a game they definitely would've blown last year with Chatwood and Dolis at the backend of the pen.

Off to the Astros where Springer can finally make his return. Taking 2/3 from Houston would be YYYUGE

Weird take. Romano was their closer last year as well. Sub Ray pitching 8 instead of Gausman, then Romano still pitches the 9th. The Jays pen blew a lot of games last year. Your starter going 8 wouldn't have been 1 of them.

Reactions: Kurtz

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Its actually wild at this point.

If anything my criticism of Montoyo would be not giving Romano a clean inning and that is just extremely nitpicky.
Even then no harm no foul. Gausman deserved a chance to throw the complete game which he got. Charlie was in the right to put Romano in when he did. The win is a lot more important and the Sox were in the heart of their order.

Reactions: theaub

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Weird take. Romano was their closer last year as well. Sub Ray pitching 8 instead of Gausman, then Romano still pitches the 9th. The Jays pen blew a lot of games last year. Your starter going 8 wouldn't have been 1 of them.
BP is honestly looking quite good so far, a lot more depth than last year and everyone knows their roles. The only hiccup so far was Merryweather giving up that HR to Pache last Saturday but other than that, you can't ask much more out of them so far.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Yeah I'm more than willing to criticize Montoyo when he deserves it. Even with nitpicky stuff(like waiting for a semi-healthy lineup before getting Katoh in there). But I'd play the 9th the exact same way. Gausman deserves the chance to finish it but once he gives up the hit you go to Romano.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Yeah I'm more than willing to criticize Montoyo when he deserves it. Even with nitpicky stuff(like waiting for a semi-healthy lineup before getting Katoh in there). But I'd play the 9th the exact same way. Gausman deserves the chance to finish it but once he gives up the hit you go to Romano.
If he gave up a hit to the #6 hitter I'd probably keep him in, but when it's the heart of the order that's coming to bat, you take him out ASAP

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Gausman tied for the league lead in pitcher fWAR with Carlos Rodon. That would have been a fun offseason
I'm optimistic of Kukichi, he has really good stuff and with Pete Walker guiding him with his mechanics, I think he can become a real asset to the team down the stretch especially with Ryu sh*tting the bed right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad