WJC: 2022 Team Canada Roster Talk, Part II

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Othmann needs to be put back on the first line, McTavish and Bédard were not as impactful without him
I agree. Othmann is one of the best forwards on the team but he can't elevate the fourth line into being a threat so there is little gain from playing him down the lineup. McTavish's line was no better in its own zone and while Cuylle scored (and played fairly well in my opinion) his goal had nothing to do with his forward linemates since he just streaked in from the bench. Othmann was a good complement to McTavish and Bedard.

They should put Othmann back with McTavish and Bedard, hope that Stankoven's line picks up where it left off in the last game, and go for a physical approach, to a reasonable degree, in the lower lines.

MosTLucky

May 25, 2016
Would like to see Kidney put in for Desnoyers or Gaucher. Although i thought both had decent games against the Swiss. Seems like Desnoyers can't finish anything

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
I am not sure why they moved Othmann off the top line to begin with. Things were going well and if it was a move to try and boost scoring down the lines it makes little sense as we didn't need it.

I am not saying the move was what resulted in a poor game from the top line and I imagine they will bounce back but the Othmann-MacTavish-Bedard line was the top line in the tournament they should go back to it.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
With all due respect to the Czechs, this game will give us an opportunity to put Humpty Dumpty together for the Gold Medal Game - assuming we win. Having this game is a blessing after seeing how all the back checking strangled us in the quarters.

Last edited:

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I am not sure why they moved Othmann off the top line to begin with. Things were going well and if it was a move to try and boost scoring down the lines it makes little sense as we didn't need it.

I am not saying the move was what resulted in a poor game from the top line and I imagine they will bounce back but the Othmann-MacTavish-Bedard line was the top line in the tournament they should go back to it.

It was pretty nonsensical to me. I think Canada was up 5-1 at the time with all lines rolling. I get that you want to instill good habits, but he picked a pretty dumb time to make an example out of that line. Canada hasn't quite looked the same since.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
We better be ready for a tough game.
the Czechs are starting to roll and the confidence of winning again are high,
I think czechs will take more penalties so our power play needs to be fine tuned
4-2 Canada

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I’m happy with this match-up. Of course I want Canada to win Gold and I think we now have a very good chance to do just that.

However, if we have an off game like the US and get beaten in the SF, I couldn’t be happier for Czechia to move into the GMG. Their program has fallen on hard times and I would really like to see them have a little success again. Hockey needs Czechia to become a strong team once again.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I’m happy with this match-up. Of course I want Canada to win Gold and I think we now have a very good chance to do just that.

However, if we have an off game like the US and get beaten in the SF, I couldn’t be happier for Czechia to move into the GMG. Their program has fallen on hard times and I would really like to see them have a little success again. Hockey needs Czechia to become a strong team once again.
^ Lot of truth to that. ^

I just can't imagine Czechia playing a second PERFECT game - minus a lucky/flukey 1st goal by the Americans, it could have been 3-0 going into the third for Czechia and that's pretty darn impressive.

My guess : There will be a let down after the American game and Canada will coast into the finals. I hope, I hope, I hope.

Hopefully he will be available for the GMG - assuming there is a GMG for Canada.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Greig not being at practice is not a good sign. I was hoping it was just a stinger and he was held out for precaution in a game we had well in hand but if he is not at practice I don't see him playing going forward.

Obviously we don't need him for the Czech game, and probably not for the Gold Medal game either, but he has been so important that he will be a big loss.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Greig not being at practice is not a good sign. I was hoping it was just a stinger and he was held out for precaution in a game we had well in hand but if he is not at practice I don't see him playing going forward.

Obviously we don't need him for the Czech game, and probably not for the Gold Medal game either, but he has been so important that he will be a big loss.
My hope is Hockey Canada is saving him for the GMG.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Not good about Greig but also not surprising. He was the second best forward on the team to this point from my viewings. Also.......

Cameron taking the blender out. Not so sure about those combinations but we'll see on the ice perhaps.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Line blenders never really concern me, because they can be just as easily un-blended. It's roster blenders that annoy me.

I'll be really curious to see McT away from Bedard.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Not sure what to think about the lines, today...

Roy - McTavish - Dufour
Johnson - Stankoven - Foerster
Cuylle - Gaucher - Bedard
Othmann - Ostapchuk - Desnoyers
Kidney

Injured: Greig

Roy back on the first line?

Bedard on the third line? : Maybe his defensive weakness is coming into play?

I'll be really curious to see McT away from Bedard.
Bedard was awful last night. I'm not shocked with a change.

I'm wondering if they feel McT was losing steam because he was covering for Bedard defensively.

Putting Bedard on the 3rd line might allow him fly under the radar.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He’s not going about it very well. These line combinations suck, as has his handling of the lineup throughout the tournament.
I don't have a problem with Bedard moving down. He's been a liability for a good chunk of the last 6 periods.

Reactions: Deuce22

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Does anyone doubt that KJ would have a lot more points if you replaced Foerster with Bedard or Stankoven with McTavish? They've had a similar number of scoring chances if not more on line 2 vs line 1 in the last couple of games. One line just has all world finishing ability and the other not so much, though with KJ he'll shoot at a much better percentage than this and is just snake bit.
Stankoven and Foerster have been great the past 3 games its KJ not the other way around lolk

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I don't have a problem with Bedard moving down. He's been a liability for a good chunk of the last 6 periods.
Keep in mind they tried to fix that problem already by putting Cuylle on that line and it just made things worse. Bedard/McT/Othmann will just outscore any problems they have in their own zone.

In a short tournament, you are looking for some quick line chemistry. Blowing things up in the elimination round means you’re starting from scratch.

Reactions: Dominance

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Keep in mind they tried to fix that problem already by putting Cuylle on that line and it just made things worse. Bedard/McT/Othmann will just outscore any problems they have in their own zone.

In a short tournament, you are looking for some quick line chemistry. Blowing things up in the elimination round means you’re starting from scratch.
That's fair but the fact that they are making changes makes me think :

1) They saw the Swiss forecheck Canada into the ground and they feel the team needs "fixing".
2) They see the Czechia game as an opportunity to test what works before the GMG.
3) They're worried about Bedard not being up to snuff against the best teams in this tournament.

Last edited:

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010

Came here to say this. McTavish's line has been getting caved in the last 2 games, regardless of who Cameron has put on his wings. I just don't know why you refuse to reunite your most productive line in Oth-Mc-Bed after they have one bad period (Finland 1st).

Reactions: Statsy

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

The stuff with Othmann and Bedard getting dropped was dumb. Putting McTavish with the grinders just made McTavish a grinder too, and adding Cuylle to the top line did not suddenly make it a good defensive line.

Greig going down necessitated changes, but his resistance to the obvious top line is annoying and not needed. In theory this could make for four offensively dangerous lines and in theory the top line could work with a playmaker and a big body surrounding McTavish, but I wouldn't bet on it working as well as if he has just kept it simple. I also wouldn't be against Kidney sliding into a regular spot over Desnoyers.

Reactions: MM917 and Statsy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad