Post-Game Talk: 2022 STANLEY CUP discussion thread Part 11 . Colorado Avalanche win The Stanley Cup 4 games to 2.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Happy to get to see at least 1 more SC Final game.

Wouldn't mind seeing TBL pull off the whole thing, just because a 3-peat is so damn hard to do.

Killorn with 0 goals/4 assists in 22 PO games this year?? He must be due to score a big goal. (All goals are huge at this stage, of course)

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Tomorrow is the Avalanche's best chance to take home the cup. They're good on the road, maybe better than at home in high stakes situ. All the pressure will be on Tampa to stay alive for game 7. Part of me (the hockey fan) wants a game 7, but I predicted Avs in 6 and I'm not changing.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Happy to get to see at least 1 more SC Final game.

Wouldn't mind seeing TBL pull off the whole thing, just because a 3-peat is so damn hard to do.

Killorn with 0 goals/4 assists in 22 PO games this year?? He must be due to score a big goal. (All goals are huge at this stage, of course)

Killorn has looked like a shell of himself all playoffs. Unless he been playing hurt, I think he's pretty much washed.

I did suspect tampa might win this one. It's not easy closing out a series let alone the Stanley Cup final, and I'm guessing the avs let the white noise get to them with the cup in the building.

This series will now go on as long as Colorado will allow it. They probably close it soon, but they can also choke it away. Either way, there's no excuse for them not to finish the job, as tampa is looking like a wounded army running out of men. Their fight is still there, though.

Last edited:

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Killorn has looked like a shell of himself all playoffs. Unless he been playing hurt, I think he's pretty much washed.

I did suspect tampa might win this one. It's not easy closing out a series let alone the Stanley Cup final, and I'm guessing the avs let the white noise get to them with the cup in the building.

This series will now go on as long as Colorado will allow it. They probably close it soon, but they can also choke it away. Either way, there's no excuse for them not to finish the job, as Tampa is looking like a wounded army running out of men. Their fight is still there, though.
Definitely a wounded army...

But with a goaltender that historically can slam the door shut... and a lineup/ PP full of HOFers.

Hope it goes to a dramatic G7.

I love that the Stanley Cup is so tough to win.

Reactions: Kiss Under the Guy

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'd like to see Mackinnon drive the net more without the puck it would cause havoc the Bolts haven't seen yet. With the quality of his line mates and D the extra space he would create could win a cup. His current game isn't doing much he needs to change it.

Last edited:

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...Kuemper's gonna be the difference; he's an OK goalie that's rattled...Tampa in 7, imo...Scorey Perry finally raises the Cup again...unfortunately, so does Doucherov...

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
I know I'm in the minority but I honestly couldn't care less about Perry and his Stanley Cup ambitions since he plays for a clown team any self-respecting Habs fan should hate (I'm only half-serious here, it's not my place to decide which team you should or shouldn't like but still, it's Tampa ffs... lol).

I loved what he did for us last season but it didn't last nearly long enough for me to form a special bond with the player. I see him as a former Ducks star who did well during his brief stint with the Habs and left shortly after to chase a cup with the defending champs, that's it. Nothing wrong with that but it is what it is.

In different circumstances, I'd have no problem rooting for him but if he gets to hoist the SC in a few days it will also mean Tampa and Doucherov won (again). Hard pass. I won't feel any better because Habs-for-6-months Perry happens to be there.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I’m rooting for Perry because in a short six month span he showed Habs fans that class is timeless and quality hockey players don’t age, they ripen.

Compare Perry with Gallagher and it’s night and day. One is a powerforward who adapted his game as he slowed down and the other is an arrogant, glorified grinder on a mega contract he will never fulfill. Perry willingly signed with Covid lockdown Quebec in the dead of winter meanwhile Jeff Petry signed a mega contract and cried foul within days of the ink drying.

Of all the veteran pick ups and temporary goofballs cheapskate Bergevin picked up over the years, Perry was a class above. And for that, I am rooting for him.

Tampa is a very well run hockey club that play hockey the right way and have a fantastic coach and terrific depth. They navigated a flat cap NHL with as much success as anybody could dream. Not hyper defensive and conservative, not “we’re a grinding team” (though they have shown to kick ass at that too), not unaware that pro sports is meant to entertain fans not just drain their wallets.

Last edited:

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Perry already has a ring. He also has a Memorial Cup, a wold junior gold medal, multiple Olympic games gold medals, world hockey championship gold... He is one of the few players in the history of the game who has won at every level yet people are acting like he is Raymond Bourque trying to finally capture that elusive Stanley Cup. The man has already won more than most and it would be fine if he never wins again.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Kuemper has let in some stinkers. I think Tampa could still take it.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I’m rooting for Perry because in a short six month span he showed Habs fans that class is timeless and quality hockey players don’t age, they ripen.

Compare Perry with Gallagher and it’s night and day. One is a powerforward who adapted his game as he slowed down and the other is an arrogant, glorified grinder on a mega contract he will never fulfill. Perry willingly signed with Covid lockdown Quebec in the dead of winter meanwhile Jeff Petry signed a mega contract and cried foul within days of the ink drying.

Of all the veteran pick ups and temporary goofballs cheapskate Bergevin picked up over the years, Perry was a class above. And for that, I am rooting for him.

Tampa is a very well run hockey club that play hockey the right way and have a fantastic coach and terrific depth. They navigated a flat cap NHL with as much success as anybody could dream. Not hyper defensive and conservative, not “we’re a grinding team” (though they have shown to kick ass at that too), not unaware that pro sports is meant to entertain fans not just drain their wallets.
The irony given Perry’s mega contract buyout..

One was also a 1st round pick and the other a 5th rounder who’s overachieved

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
The irony given Perry’s mega contract buyout..

One was also a 1st round pick and the other a 5th rounder who’s overachieved
The rebuilding and cash-tight Ducks dumped the final two years of his contract. So what does that have to do with the player? Their draft positions over a decade ago is irrelevant to the player and character today. They're incomparable players except to illustrate how one's floor is the other's ceiling.

IIRC Corey Perry's 1m 40pt season was the 36th most efficient contract in the NHL this past season. Gallagher's 6.5m 24pt season was the 706th most efficient contract in the NHL this past season. And if you normalize it to a 82 game season, Perry is 66th and Gallagher is the 788th. This includes ELCs so without that Perry probably looks much better.

Suffice to say I really respect the player and am rooting for him. He earned my respect in that short span of time more than nearly any other current Hab.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I hated Corey Perry. Then he joined the Habs and I gained a ton of respect for him. The guy's a warrior and a leader.

That said, I like this trivia question even better: "Which player lost in the SCF three years in a row on three different teams?"

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The other reason I want Colorado to win is to complete the Circle Of Lehkonen. A nondescript 3rd liner who becomes the unlikely hero in the playoff, scoring the WCF series-winning goal two years in a row with two different teams. He deserves a happy-ever-after ending to his fairy-tale.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
My hatred for Tampa was mainly butt hurt from last year. I remember Lafleur's Guy talking about what an amazing team they were last year, and I childishly refused to admit it. But he was right.

This playoffs, I was still cheering against them because I don't want anyone to threepeat. That said, I have gained so much respect for them this playoffs that I can't really hate them. The last few days I have had a change of heart, and I think if they manage to threepeat they absolutely deserve it. I think a lot of teams would get a little complacent in their play after winning the cup twice in a row. This year they have had to battle harder than ever to be where they are. And I think a lot of that credit would have to go to Cooper. Also in Cooper's defense, I don't think he was particularly whiny after game 4. He didn't say much about it except that he thought that the goal should not have counted, and then he moved on. Anyone who has been watching hockey for years knows there are always coaches who complain after games. We had one who complained that the other team didn't respect us enough. Other than the fact that Kucherov was a bit cocky in that presser last year, I really don't see this team as all that hateable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Licou

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
This is going to 4th overtime because i'm working at 4:30am tomorrow, I can feel it.

At least that also means that Lekhonen could be the hero once again. Worth the sleep deprivation if it happens

Reactions: Naslundforever

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Avs must score first, it's the key to victory. That and stay out of the box.

Look out, here comes the blue nails.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I hated Corey Perry. Then he joined the Habs and I gained a ton of respect for him. The guy's a warrior and a leader.

That said, I like this trivia question even better: "Which player lost in the SCF three years in a row on three different teams?"
Hossa? Or did he win his 3rd try.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad