Patriots/NFL 2022 Season Part 3; Playoffs - Alabama offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien hired by New England Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
To go back to previous thread, obviously people care about the NFL and players care. My point is that the Bills, Bengals and Chiefs will all still be in the playoffs. They still have a chance to settle things on the field. If seeding is impacted by calling this game last night a no contest, big f'ing deal. Anyone who cries about it will look like a total clown.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
A guy literally died and was revived in front of the entire world last night. This is a big f***ing deal and they need to do the right thing here and players need to be supported

I'm really trying to not sound heartless, but as terrible of a tragedy as it is you can't put the entire league in limbo over it. This scenario has happened in other sports. Look at the Rich Peverley incident, same scenario and the Stars played a game the next night.

In the "real world", businesses don't shut down and hold vigils every time an employee dies.

Basically trying to say that both things can happen at the same time. The league and the Bills can continue to play their schedule and you can feel the emotions of the incident, support the man, pray for him, etc.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The one scenario I have heard that makes the most sense considering how important last night's game was supposed to be is you eliminate the bye week in between the championship games and SB. However, I can see how trying to push everything back a week would create a giant logistical headache and the NFL would probably lose their shit if their only inventory for this week was a rescheduled Bills-Bengals game.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I get that people are shocked by what they saw, but the league isn't going to shut down for this.

The Stars turned around and played the night after Rich Peverley had his cardiac arrest on the bench. The Celtics finished their game after Reggie Lewis had a heart attack on the court, etc. It'll be a rough, short week for the Bills, but by Sunday everyone will be ready to play again.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I get that people are shocked by what they saw, but the league isn't going to shut down for this.

The Stars turned around and played the night after Rich Peverley had his cardiac arrest on the bench. The Celtics finished their game after Reggie Lewis had a heart attack on the court, etc. It'll be a rough, short week for the Bills, but by Sunday everyone will be ready to play again.
Who is saying the league should shut down? I think the debate is whether one particular game needs to be played or can we get on with it as a no contest.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
At this point in time I just don't see how the league can wait much longer and then tell these two teams they need to play tomorrow and then also next week's game. Either call this game a no contest or you have to eliminate the bye week in between the championship games and SB and push everything back. That's a lot of movement to undertake though.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
At this point in time I just don't see how the league can wait much longer and then tell these two teams they need to play tomorrow and then also next week's game. Either call this game a no contest or you have to eliminate the bye week in between the championship games and SB and push everything back. That's a lot of movement to undertake though.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Who is saying the league should shut down? I think the debate is whether one particular game needs to be played or can we get on with it as a no contest.

In the other thread people were trying to suggest that the Patriots refuse to play the Bills on Sunday in solidarity or something.

Calling Bills/Bengals a no contest/tie and moving forward as regular is the only logistical option.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Now, I suppose you could keep the week 18 schedule as is and then decide after that week if the Bills/Bengals game needs to be played? If you deem it needs to be played then you have to push the playoffs back a week so that game can be played.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The family is pointing people who want to do something to the go fund me for the toy drive he was running a few years ago

Now, I suppose you could keep the week 18 schedule as is and then decide after that week if the Bills/Bengals game needs to be played? If you deem it needs to be played then you have to push the playoffs back a week so that game can be played.
They did this after 9/11 after Testaverde, Mwai and Strahan told the league and other teams they weren't showing up that weekend for games and they got postponed.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Theoretically, you play this game tomorrow night, move Pats/Bills to next Tuesday and the league hopes the Bills win that and finish with the bye while eliminating the Patriots and you donn't need to fix anything else. If the Pats win that and need to play a WC game, which there's an 80% chance would be against Buffalo again, you could probably swing it to play the following Monday night then lock the winner of that into the late Sunday divisional game. But that's still a lot of moving parts when calling this a tie would be so much easier.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
To go back to previous thread, obviously people care about the NFL and players care. My point is that the Bills, Bengals and Chiefs will all still be in the playoffs. They still have a chance to settle things on the field. If seeding is impacted by calling this game last night a no contest, big f'ing deal. Anyone who cries about it will look like a total clown.

Stop trying to appear morally superior! This is not debatable!

Reactions: Johnnyduke

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The family is pointing people who want to do something to the go fund me for the toy drive he was running a few years ago

They did this after 9/11 after Testaverde, Mwai and Strahan told the league and other teams they weren't showing up that weekend for games and they got postponed.
I could see something like this happening if and only if the worst possible outcome with Hamler is announced very late in the week. Hopefully it doesn't come to that obviously.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I could see something like this happening if and only if the worst possible outcome with Hamler is announced very late in the week. Hopefully it doesn't come to that obviously.
I can't even bring myself to think about a negative outcome. It makes me nauseous and sad.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Not sure if it was Steve Nelson or Steve Grogan that just called into 98.5 to talk about Darryl Stingley. Very insightful and sad.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
It said his name was Tim but who knows. Was insightful though
I heard Steve but whomever it was provided more perspective.

I had to look up the situation and the Pats paid for not only all of his medical expenses but for his kids education as he never signed his contract extension.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Monday's game between the Buffalo Bills and Cincinnati Bengals will not be resumed this week, the NFL announced in a statement on Tuesday afternoon.

No changes have been made to the Week 18 schedule, the league said.

"The NFL continues to be in regular contact with the medical team caring for Damar Hamlin, and also the Bills and Bengals organizations and the NFL Players Association. After speaking with both teams and NFLPA leadership, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell informed the clubs today that the Bills-Bengals game will not be resumed this week," the league said in a statement.

"The NFL has made no decision regarding the possible resumption of the game at a later date. The league has not made any changes to the Week 18 regular season schedule. We will continue to provide additional information as it becomes available."

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Way before my time, lol. I have no idea.

Naw it was Tim I saw it on the simulcast on TV.
I put the simulcast on .

Gotta say from what I have heard today the Hub has done a fantastic job covering this and talking implications without being insensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad