2022 Olympic Qualifying News

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
I have been looking around for any word on how qualifying will work for the next Olympics but cannot find anything. Usually there is some indication by now. Perhaps they are reconsidering China's inclusion and want to take their time with the announcement.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I have been looking around for any word on how qualifying will work for the next Olympics but cannot find anything. Usually there is some indication by now. Perhaps they are reconsidering China's inclusion and want to take their time with the announcement.

It depends on WHC results. I belive, this coming WHC will be the qualifying tournament.

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
It depends on WHC results. I belive, this coming WHC will be the qualifying tournament.
They first take the rankings to decide who has qualified directly, then they use the same rankings to determine how the rest of the nations can play their way in. Previously they have done it with two years to go (2008 for 2010, 2012 for 2014) but the last time the men's used the rankings with three years to go so that there was more time to use the best players for the play-ins. Regardless, each time they have released specifics by now, and this time they have not. I was hoping there was some kind of news about it. I know the 'insidethegames.biz' has frequent news but they are woefully inaccurate on a regular basis.

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018
Any news on the NHL:ers participation? Another Olympics without them would be crap. And people actually did complain about the mixed teams i World Cup.

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
Irritating that IIHF has provided no direction on what is happening but if the qualifying process is the same as last time, and if they are still going to give China a spot, then the direct entries are basically done. Canada, Czechia, Finland, Germany, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, and USA are virtually assured of being the top 8 now. Which would mean that Slovakia would have to play their way in. If, however there is 9 teams going directly in there would be a nail biting battle for ranking points between Slovakia, Norway and Latvia, over their final two games.
Then again, it could be down to the rankings after next year. Really annoying

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
Also gotta remember NHL have an interest in growing hockey in China. Also gotta remember China is known for handing out money under the table.

Two excellent reasons why NHL players will play in the 2022 olympics.

Thedogo

Dogs are superior to humans in every way
Mar 16, 2019
Chicago's south side
I'd rather the NHL stay away from the Olympics that's how it was in 1980 with the Miracle on Ice and in my mind that's how it should be.

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
this thread was meant to be about the qualifying process, and how late the news is about it. I don't see how the NHL plays any role in it. They never have before, other than the IIHF scheduling an extra year for qualification tournaments so that countries could use their NHL players.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Irritating that IIHF has provided no direction on what is happening but if the qualifying process is the same as last time, and if they are still going to give China a spot, then the direct entries are basically done. Canada, Czechia, Finland, Germany, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, and USA are virtually assured of being the top 8 now. Which would mean that Slovakia would have to play their way in. If, however there is 9 teams going directly in there would be a nail biting battle for ranking points between Slovakia, Norway and Latvia, over their final two games.
Then again, it could be down to the rankings after next year. Really annoying
Since there's been no announcement, it would make a lot more sense if they looked at the top 8/9 after the 2020 IHWC.

But since IHF likes to make up rules and change the format as they go by, I wouldn't even be surprised if the number of teams playing in the Olympics would be different in 2022. Or some other such thing.

If everything stays as it is, neither Slovakia, nor Latvia or Norway have a chance since China will be granted that 9th spot.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
The reason they're staying quiet and dragging their feet could well be that they're still trying to figure out whether they should grant China a spot or no. Because as of right now, it's not even a Div I B country.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Swiss federation said that Top-8 after this tournament get their place secured. So it's Top-6 plus Switzerland/Germany.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
The reason they're staying quiet and dragging their feet could well be that they're still trying to figure out whether they should grant China a spot or no. Because as of right now, it's not even a Div I B country.
Yup, they were nearly relegated to Div 2 B to play with the likes of Mexico and Georgia.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Yeah, I guess that they want China to have a team in the hope of growing the sport there, but I am not sure whether a Chinese team getting destroyed will do much for that.

Reactions: wetcoast

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
They already granted them an automatic entry a year ago, so it's either that they're reconsidering it or that they might change the qualification format.

Or they're just waiting for the end of IHWC 2019.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
They already granted them an automatic entry a year ago, so it's either that they're reconsidering it or that they might change the qualification format.
Right, looks like they did. I missed that.

I doubt the IIHF is just going to tell them that they've changed their mind, unless the berth is conditional somehow. As in, they're saving a spot for them now, but will ultimately put it back into open qualification if it appears the Chinese program's not bringing the desired results. I also wonder if the Chinese themselves are going to consider it a good look if they can't field a team that will at least appear competitive. They're pretty proud people, and it's not anybody's benefit - Team China's, their opponents', or the spectators' - if every game turns into a bloodbath.

They could also be thinking about retooling the actual tournament format. One method of accommodating the hosts could be going back to the 1998-2002 format, or some variation of it. Back then, the six hockey powers got a direct bye to step two of the tournament while the rest played a preliminary round, with the best two getting a chance to play with the big boys. If I start spitballing, I could see them granting a direct bye to the top-eight, then have China and the three other qualified countries play a preliminary round of four, then promote the top-two and essentially replicate the WJC format by having two pools of five.

Reactions: VP

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Right, looks like they did. I missed that.

I doubt the IIHF is just going to tell them that they've changed their mind, unless the berth is conditional somehow. As in, they're saving a spot for them now, but will ultimately put it back into open qualification if it appears the Chinese program's not bringing the desired results. I also wonder if the Chinese themselves are going to consider it a good look if they can't field a team that will at least appear competitive. They're pretty proud people, and it's not anybody's benefit - Team China's, their opponents', or the spectators' - if every game turns into a bloodbath.

They could also be thinking about retooling the actual tournament format. One method of accommodating the hosts could be going back to the 1998-2002 format, or some variation of it. Back then, the six hockey powers got a direct bye to step two of the tournament while the rest played a preliminary round, with the best two getting a chance to play with the big boys. If I start spitballing, I could see them granting a direct bye to the top-eight, then have China and the three other qualified countries play a preliminary round of four, then promote the top-two and essentially replicate the WJC format by having two pools of five.

That format was hardly just as NHL players couldn't quite make it, so I would assume that the nations fighting for the last few stops would prefer the format from 2018 qualifications where NHLers/AHLers could start. Though if NHLers aren't allowed to 2022, the old 1998-2002 format would probably make more sense.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

There are conditions such as China starting a serious domestic league which is currently taking place. As long as they meet those expectations they'll be participating, whatever the quality of their team.

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
It looks they're using the same system for qualification as for OG 2018.
Slovenian Hockey Federation announced that they'll host Preliminary round qualification in Jesenice (06.-09. 02. 2020.)
Article in Slovenian

I will try to create all groups using the same system as for OG 2018.

Olympic Winter Games, Men’s Ice Hockey Tournament

Group A: TBD(1), TBD (6), TBD (7), China (12)
Group B: TBD (2), TBD (5), TBD (8), TBD (11)
Group C: TBD (3), TBD (4), TBD (9), TBD (10)

Final Olympic Qualification

Group D: Slovakia (9), Belarus (14), Austria (15), Qualifier 6
Group E: Latvia (10), France (13), Italy (16), Qualifier 5
Group F: Norway (11), Denmark (12), South Korea (17), Qualifier 4

Olympic Qualification Preliminary Round 2

Group G: Slovenia (18), Japan (23), Lithuania (24), Qualifier 8
Group H: Kazakhstan (19), Poland (22), Ukraine (25), Qualifier 7
Group J: Great Britain (20), Hungary (21), Estonia (26), Romania (27) or some Qualifier.

Olympic Qualification Preliminary Round 1

This preliminary round depends on how many nations will apply to participate in qualifications. Netherlands and Croatia (maybe even Romania) will probably be the hosts of these

NOTE: This is not official. We'll probably see the official schedule in the upcoming days.

Last edited:
Reactions: bukwas

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
It looks they're using the same system for qualification as for OG 2018.
Slovenian Hockey Federation announced that they'll host Preliminary round qualification in Jesenice (06.-09. 02. 2020.)
Article in Slovenian

I will try to create all groups using the same system as for OG 2018.

Olympic Winter Games, Men’s Ice Hockey Tournament

Group A: TBD(1), TBD (6), TBD (7), China (12)
Group B: TBD (2), TBD (5), TBD (8), TBD (11)
Group C: TBD (3), TBD (4), TBD (9), TBD (10)

Final Olympic Qualification

Group D: Slovakia (9), Belarus (14), Austria (15), Qualifier 6
Group E: Latvia (10), France (13), Italy (16), Qualifier 5
Group F: Norway (11), Denmark (12), South Korea (17), Qualifier 4

Olympic Qualification Preliminary Round 2

Group G: Slovenia (18), Japan (23), Lithuania (24), Qualifier 8
Group H: Kazakhstan (19), Poland (22), Ukraine (25), Qualifier 7
Group J: Great Britain (20), Hungary (21), Estonia (26), Romania (27) or some Qualifier.

Olympic Qualification Preliminary Round 1

This preliminary round depends on how many nations will apply to participate in qualifications. Netherlands and Croatia (maybe even Romania) will probably be the hosts of these

NOTE: This is not official. We'll probably see the official schedule in the upcoming days.
Are these what the ranks will be after this tournament or what the ranks are presently?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad