Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Staying healthy is a huge issue, ask Paul Bittner.

He had a good year in a watered down AHL. He can still make it to the NHL, but is not a top prospect anymore. At this point you’re hoping for a bottom 6 guy.
He's had 2 PPG seasons in the AHL. Some guys need 2-4 seasons in a "watered down league" to gain the confidence to be able to compete in NHL, even in bottom 6 role. We've been discussing players like Jiricek, Marchenko and others playing in the AHL, so what's wrong with the AHL?

So if he's still on track to make the NHL how is considered a bust?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
He's had 2 PPG seasons in the AHL. Some guys need 2-4 seasons in a "watered down league" to gain the confidence to be able to compete in NHL, even in bottom 6 role. We've been discussing players like Jiricek, Marchenko and others playing in the AHL, so what's wrong with the AHL?

So if he's still on track to make the NHL how is considered a bust?
No he hasn’t.

And I don’t think he’s played a full season even through his junior career.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
No he hasn’t.

And I don’t think he’s played a full season even through his junior career.
35 pts in 41 games. All but a PPG pace and pretty much every NHL game was under Torts.

It's entirely too early in his career to start labeling him a bust.

Milano, Rychel, Dano. Sure.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but did the NHL get rid of the communication period before free agency? Things seem quiet on the free agency front right now.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Here's a thought experiment regarding Nyquist.

Imagine you're Jarmo, and let's assume you knew Nyquist's trade value at the TDL, which would be a 3rd round pick. You would also know that the team isn't going to make the playoffs in 2023. So then, which of the options below would be BETTER than selling him at the TDL for a 3rd?

a) buy out his contract asap - there's no point having him on the team anymore
b) trade him this summer for a 4th or lower round pick
c) trade him this summer for a 3rd - in this case his value would remain same
d) trade him this summer for a 2nd
e) trade him this summer for a 1st (or more than a 1st)
f) keep him through the end of his contract

For me, only D and E would be better options. A, B and F are worse. Not sure about C.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
35 bodov v 41 zápasoch. Všetko okrem PPG tempa a takmer každý zápas NHL bol pod Torts.

V jeho kariére je ešte príliš skoro na to, aby ho začali označovať za bustu.

Milano, Rychel, Dano. Samozrejme.
Dano played good in his the first season here. Than he was a part of trade for Panarin. So we can't know how he would continue here.

Btw:

Look, a lot of people laughed from Nichushkin in Dallas. But he has played excellent in Colorado. And we could Jesse compare to Valeriy.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
FWIW their fans were not happy with his playoff performance

He was abysmal.

If I was Florida I wouldn’t re-sign him.
I’d try to get better defensively and trade Weegar for assets.

That’s going to be a high risk contract

Edit, but per Friedman Florida is trying to re-sign him

Reactions: Ippenator

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
LaineSillingerJake
NyquistJohnsonBjorkstrand
JennerRoslovicTex

Assuming some tweaks and whatever where does Marchenko fit? 4th line? 13th guy in case of an in game injury or some playing time on b to b's? Does he (can he) surplant one of the 9? Cleveland? (I sincerely doubt that)

One of Chinakhov or Bemstrom to Cleveland? Both? Trade one? Trade both?

Going to be an interesting off season.
If Marchenko impresses in the training camp, he might take Nyquist spot who might be traded for futures

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
4th line I assume Robinson-Kuraly-Danforth?

No trades would mean:
-Chinakhov, Meyer, Marchenko to Cleveland, waivers exempt
-Foudy, Bemstrom, Gaunce to Cleveland on waivers
-Olivier as the 13th F, or sub one of the above 6 in and place Olivier on waivers
As an aside, I'm pretty sure the CBJ finally won't have to carry 8 defensemen out of camp so you'll have a 13th and 14th forward. That's why I think Foudy sticks and Bemstrom gets traded or vice versa. I could also see Robinson and Gus moved to make room for Chinakov and Marchenko on the roster. Could be somethign even bigger by moving Bjorkstrand. Anyway, my point for post was we'll likely see 14F this year in lieu of the usually 8D. Contracts/Roster shift over years past.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
And if he tries to compete right now then we will be stuck in mediocrity for another 5 years.

Nyquist @ 2.75 + 2023 3rd for a 1st would be great. Don’t think teams “value” him like he is around here though.
Nyquist without retention should get at least a 2nd and more likely a 2nd and a 4th. With retention it's nothing less than a 1st in my opinion (bottom half of round as I woudl think a playoff worthy/ready team would be the likely destination). I see no reason to add to Nyquist to get a late 1st.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Totally agree , if Foudy stays healthy he should make the team and be a regular , also I think your right that we could see Nyquist , Bemstrom traded .. I think they hang on to Robinson though , unless he’s packaged as part of a deal .

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Makes sense if we didn’t have Kuraly already. Would also mean we’d likely be ending the center experiment for Johnson and one of Texier/Roslovic
Andrew Copp is definitely a #2C though , and has centered Laine with good success… sounds like he’s looking for around 5.5 mill per season … honestly I don’t see the jackets being active unless they package players early for picks.. most likely a mentor type defenseman will be our target

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Maybe tomorrow I’ll wake up and have an egg on my face but I don’t know how many times Jarmo has to say Nyquist is part of the leadership code for people to get it. I don’t expect him to be traded this offseason.
Most likely he’s not traded until deadline .. but I’ll leave this here …..

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Maybe tomorrow I’ll wake up and have an egg on my face but I don’t know how many times Jarmo has to say Nyquist is part of the leadership code for people to get it. I don’t expect him to be traded this offseason.
Just because someone is a leader doesn’t mean we should not be trying “to make our club better now and in the future”

How many times do we have to pretend someone is part of the “core” when they are gone after this year? Savard/Foligno..

I get that he’s a leader, I’m not saying he isn’t. But he needs to be traded while he has guaranteed value. A lot of risk holding through the TDL with very little reward.

My biggest fear is that they are close to a playoff spot and don’t trade guys like Nyquist away at the deadline bc they “believe in this group.”

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Just because someone is a leader doesn’t mean we should not be trying “to make our club better now and in the future”

How many times do we have to pretend someone is part of the “core” when they are gone after this year?
I don’t see anyone trading for Gus Nyquist and giving up a better player now to do so.

In the future? Yeah. But I don’t think jarmo wants to deal him yet. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if he’s extended for another year or two

Reactions: MissADD

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
He was talking about Seth jones
The statement speaks for its self , they are never going to give you their actual detailed thoughts , but you can’t bet what he said , he believes.. Nyquist is no different than Jones in that regard . In the quote he’s also explaining that with guys like Sillinger in the room , leaders can leave , and new ones emerge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad