PTO: 2022 NHL Training Camp Thread

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Curiosity question but who decides where Beedin can sign or not?

Or is it more like, he forfeits his rights tosign with an NHL club in the future if he does go sign in Europe?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Curiosity question but who decides where Beedin can sign or not?

Or is it more like, he forfeits his rights tosign with an NHL club in the future if he does go sign in Europe?
Pure speculation here but I am guessing he was recommended for the program, but they cannot force him in involuntarily
So in turn, the club is effectively suspending him for the season, and looking at the case in isolation, they are probably treating his contract as if it has a European out-clause OR he already does have one(?) and they are just confirming, 'he won't be with the Jets but he can still play hockey'. Eitherway, I imagine his ability to find work in Europe would be treated as if he had that clause and he can sign with any IIHF transferable league, and the Jets can just recall him next year if/when they want to.

The other option would be to suspend him as a defector and toll his current contract until he returns, but I believe that would restrict his ability to play in any league with the transfer agreement.

I didn't dig into the CBA for this, so I could be way off, and even if I am not, I'm probably greatly simplifying things, but I imagine, if there are substances issues and/OR emotional and mental health concerns, the last thing they want is to be caught telling him he has to stay home with no safe or healthy outlet for the whole season. Allowing to seek a contract elsewhere makes sense, to me.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad