Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Continued from here

Last thread hit 100 pages

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
We all have our preferences for how to use #7, for me its Gauthier or Kasper ideally. But with The Athletic linking us to the Winnipeg Ice and more specifically Connor Geekie, does anyone think this would be a good pick? Because to me that would be a worst case scenario.

Reactions: OgieO and aragorn

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
We all have our preferences for how to use #7, for me its Gauthier or Kasper ideally. But with The Athletic linking us to the Winnipeg Ice and more specifically Connor Geekie, does anyone think this would be a good pick? Because to me that would be a worst case scenario.
Worst case scenario for sure. However, Geekie is a Sens pick. Big, strong, good skater, low upside.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Link?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Geekie could still be a target . I think he is more attractive to teams looking for that big 2/3 C . He is not terrible I just think he belongs closer to 15. McKenzie did mention him as someone that could move up . He could because he is a big C someone may take a chance on over a smaller winger option.
I think Gauthier is an attractive option because of his size and his goal scoring. There is more skill available if they take a plunge on the upside. The most Sens picks to me at 7 are Kasper and Gauthier as well. I personally would not mind a swing at Lekkerimaki to develop into that quick strike kind of difference maker. I think all 3 of those players could develop into nice compliments for Stutzle on the 2nd line. I also don't hate Ostlund but not many have him up in that range.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Sens Twitter getting a little testy closing in on the draft lol.
At testy moments like these, one has to ask...
d4c3ca352f21d7f940ccc9284639e135.png

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sens Twitter getting a little testy closing in on the draft lol.
This one from yesterday got me I don't know .. everyone is a worthy scout these days. No track record of draft ranking success but ire if someone sees it different. Not predicting the draft but projecting the players and being right about their placement years down the road.

How much scouting experience do you have? Well my whole life really but 3 whole fn months really seriously man. I've been dedicated ..even went to a couple games in person.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Geekie could still be a target . I think he is more attractive to teams looking for that big 2/3 C . He is not terrible I just think he belongs closer to 15. McKenzie did mention him as someone that could move up . He could because he is a big C someone may take a chance on over a smaller winger option.
I think Gauthier is an attractive option because of his size and his goal scoring. There is more skill available if they take a plunge on the upside. The most Sens picks to me at 7 are Kasper and Gauthier as well. I personally would not mind a swing at Lekkerimaki to develop into that quick strike kind of difference maker. I think all 3 of those players could develop into nice compliments for Stutzle on the 2nd line. I also don't hate Ostlund but not many have him up in that range.
Gauthier and Kemmel are my 2 favourite forward options who could be available, Kasper and Letterkenny are next. Please no Geekie.

Reactions: Cosmix

R2010

May 23, 2011
I don't think that the Athletic has ever had their drafting coverage having much insight into the sens in terms of who they will draft. I actually have grown to like Pronman and think he has become a much better scout than he used to be but he has been off on the sens the last couple years in terms of who they are expected to pick. Wheeler isn't good so I won't even comment on his thoughts haha.

So I wouldn't read much into Geekie hype personally. Some of the other sources like Marek say it is Kasper which makes complete sense. It was similar with sanderson - we all knew they liked Sanderson because of the leaks ahead of time and because he fit their profile well. Kasper fits. Sens like mid ceiling high floor players who compete. Tyler Boucher was just a mis-evaluation. They were still trying to get the same type of player they just picked the wrong one.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Am I missing something re: the Sens and Geekie? Pronman's most recent mock only says "some buzz linking them to the Winnipeg ICE kids in Savoie and Conor Geekie", and then he has the Sens picking Savoie.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Pls FFS, not Geekie.

There is a least other 6 forwards (after top 5) and 3 D I’d take before Geekie.
I just don’t like his game.

Reactions: GCK

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Pronman has said it's been difficult to pin down who the Senators are interested in at 7th overall this season so I wouldn't flip out about anything he throws out there.

Geekie seems like he's too passive/low-motor for Ottawa. They haven't drafted many guys like that recently.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This one from yesterday got me I don't know .. everyone is a worthy scout these days. No track record of draft ranking success but ire if someone sees it different. Not predicting the draft but projecting the players and being right about their placement years down the road.

That may have been the one I saw. Now I’m not a profile hater. I like that guy. But that post was just a tad too intense lmfao. Like really dude cmon

Am I missing something re: the Sens and Geekie? Pronman's most recent mock only says "some buzz linking them to the Winnipeg ICE kids in Savoie and Conor Geekie", and then he has the Sens picking Savoie.
That buzz could just be Dorion went there at the end of the season to watch. Which we know he did

Gauthier and Kemmel are my 2 favourite forward options who could be available, Kasper and Letterkenny are next. Please no Geekie.
I liked ohgren a lot more than lekkerimakki (?????) from what I saw (like 2 games”

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Geekie has size but the Sens staff has put a big emphasis lately on aggressiveness and speed, which are two things he lacks in a big way.

He's also more of a faller than a riser, which is something they've always taken into consideration.

He's probably not our guy unless we trade back into the 10-20 range. Can't see them taking him over Gauthier/Kasper/Jiricek/Nemec.

Reactions: DJB

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Final Craig's List

6 David Jiricek Plzen (CZE)

7 Cutter Gauthier USA U-18 (USHL)

8 Jimmy Snuggerud USA U-18 (USHL)

9 Jonathan Lekkerimaki Djurgardens (SWE J-20)

10 Kevin Korchinski Seattle (WHL)

11 Pavel Mintyukov Saginaw (OHL)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Geekie has size but the Sens staff has put a big emphasis lately on aggressiveness and speed, which are two things he lacks in a big way.

He's also more of a faller than a riser, which is something they've always taken into consideration.

He's probably not our guy unless we trade back into the 10-20 range. Can't see them taking him over Gauthier/Kasper/Jiricek/Nemec.

I think I recall a quote from Mann who said that 1st round picks have to be guys that can skate. Maybe I’m crazy but I think I remember him saying that before

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Bob McKenzie saying Geekie is a top-10 threat and he received three top-10 spots his in rankings. *gulp*

R2010

May 23, 2011
Bob McKenzie saying Geekie is a top-10 threat and he received three top-10 spots his in rankings. *gulp*

I'd be *shocked* if the Sens went with a Logan Brown redux. Also we are definitely a team that looks at risers not fallers. Logan Brown may have fallen on draft day but the word going into the draft was him as a riser over the year.

Our profile for drafting in the 1st is usually fast, competitive players who are risers and have decent size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad