Prospect Info: 2022 NHL Draft Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Couldn't locate if there was a previous thread, but some more preliminary rankings are starting to pop up.

TSN/Bob: Wright the clear-cut top choice in McKenzie's first 2022 Draft Ranking

Craig Button: Top 23 prospects for the 2022 NHL Draft: Shane Wright leads forward-heavy group

Corey Pronman: Top 23 prospects for the 2022 NHL Draft: Shane Wright leads forward-heavy group

HockeyProspect.com: 2022 NHL Draft Rankings - HockeyProspect.com

Sportsnet: Sportsnet's 2022 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: October Edition

-------------

Draft will be in Montreal on July 7-8. The league is shifting to a Thursday-Friday format to see if that helps with viewership before deciding if that'll be a permanent change. Although in the past, some of the reporters have complained that they have to rush from the NHL Awards show in Vegas to wherever the draft is being held aka they'd rather have the extra night to nurse a hangover.

Also this is the first year for the full slate of lottery changes. Teams can move up a maximum of 10 spots and only the top two spots will be determined via the lottery. The "team can only win twice in five years" starts and everybody is given a clean slate.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Jeez, we started this thread already? Does this mean I need to get to work?

Yeah this felt a bit early, especially with the team hopefully on an upward trajectory. But figured we could use another conversation topic on off days.

ESPN+ has the USNTDP@Cornell exhibition from this past weekend in case anybody wants to put their scouting hat on. Most of the early lists seem to have 5-6 of the NTDP kids in the top 32.

Me in a parallel universe would have figured out a way to get to Michigan this weekend to catch the Wolverines on Thursday then the USNTDP host the Chicago Steel (Adam Fantilli, possible top 3 guy for 2023).

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
When we inevitably miss the playoffs by one point and place 16th, we will be given a lottery win taking us to 6th overall; give me Joakim Kemell as my so-early-its-ridiculous pick. If the pick is late around 16th like I think it will be, Id love to try out Frank Nazar or Nathan Gaucher as natural RWs

Reactions: My3Sons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
When we inevitably miss the playoffs by one point and place 16th, we will be given a lottery win taking us to 6th overall; give me Joakim Kemell as my so-early-its-ridiculous pick. If the pick is late around 16th like I think it will be, Id love to try out Frank Nazar or Nathan Gaucher as natural RWs
Isn’t Gaucher a C? A top winger is definitely our biggest need.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
When it comes to prospects I dont usually see issues with centers going to wing; I know some guys are hardfast against it, but as a bigger player him as a power forward wing would be incredible for us.

By listings, Nazar is the only natural RW around that area that ive seen; though Ive checked three lists. Gaucher intrigued me with his size and skill, a Zacha-to-wing type

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
The Devils are stacked at the wing positions. Holtz (and Mercer, if he doesn't stay at C) aside they might not be of the highest quality. But the number of hopefuls is large and they come in all shapes and types. The current farm system has enough options to fill short term gaps in the line up and if you are looking for an established top line wing, you shouldn't look at draft prospects.

RHD is the one position, where the Devils are extremely thin. I can name the organizational depth chart without looking it up:
Hamilton, Severson, Subban, Jaros, Walsh, Russo, McCarthy, Hurtig

Subban should be gone by next season; Jaros potentially too. I have zero confidence in Walsh turning into an NHL player. Even less so with the Devils, who have Hamilton and Severson, who are both better PMDs, taller and better skaters. A more defensive oriented D like McCarthy would be a better fit with those two, but he should play another year in college. Walsh only has a realistic shot at the NHL roster as a third string PMD, who gets sheltered minutes.

The pipeline could use at least three additional RHDs and if you hope to replace Hamilton and Severson mid to long term on the top pairing with internal options, you better start to draft them now and early. Most D prospects take 3-5 years of development, until they are ready for a Top 4 role.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
The Devils are stacked at the wing positions. Holtz (and Mercer, if he doesn't stay at C) aside they might not be of the highest quality. But the number of hopefuls is large and they come in all shapes and types. The current farm system has enough options to fill short term gaps in the line up and if you are looking for an established top line wing, you shouldn't look at draft prospects.

RHD is the one position, where the Devils are extremely thin. I can name the organizational depth chart without looking it up:

Subban should be gone by next season; Jaros potentially too. I have zero confidence in Walsh turning into an NHL player. Even less so with the Devils, who have Hamilton and Severson, who are both better PMDs, taller and better skaters. A more defensive oriented D like McCarthy would be a better fit with those two, but he should play another year in college. Walsh only has a realistic shot at the NHL roster as a third string PMD, who gets sheltered minutes.

The pipeline could use at least three additional RHDs and if you hope to replace Hamilton and Severson mid to long term on the top pairing with internal options, you better start to draft them now and early. Most D prospects take 3-5 years of development, until they are ready for a Top 4 role.

I honestly would start to look at some potential for high end C as well. I personally don't think its as stable as people originally thought.

In order of priority for me is RD and then C.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I wonder if Seamus Casey's size is enough to peg him down in the rankings. That guy has skill. If we somehow were in the spot to pick him, David Jiriceck has to be the pick. I haven't really decided who I like better between him and Simon Nemec. I'm getting tired of this draft thing honestly. I'll let Steve carry me from here out :laugh:

Reactions: StevenToddIves

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I honestly would start to look at some potential for high end C as well. I personally don't think its as stable as people originally thought.

In order of priority for me is RD and then C.

i think we're pretty set at C for the foreseeable future with nico, hughes, and mercer (if needed). but i'll always go BPA- if that's a center, so be it.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

I think winger is our biggest need we should be looking at right now. Followed by RD. We have quantity and some good wing prospects but I think we’re really missing a top line game changer and I don’t see anyone in our system that is gonna be that. Holtz looks like a good complimentary goal scorer but I don’t think he’s gonna be something special who puts up anymore than 50-60 points and Mercer looks pretty good but more like a center. None of Bratt, Zacha, Sharangovich, Stillman, Kuokkonen, Foote, or Clarke look like players who are gonna be anything close to elite game changing wingers. Obviously if we have a really good season and contend for a playoff spot that’s gonna be hard to get but there still some good wing options available and if we end up picking high again there’s some really good options.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Center:
Hughes
Hischier
Mercer
McLeod
Boqvist
Salminen
Pytlik
Strength: Really goood
This is our biggest position of strength

Wingers:
Holtz
Bratt
Zacha
Sharangovich
Kuokkonen
Stillman
Foote
Clarke
Strength: Good. Lots of quantity and depth, missing top end elite winger.

Defence:
Hamilton
Hughes
Smith
Mukhammadullin
Okhotiuk
Bahl
McCarthy
Walsh
Vukojevic
Strength: Pretty good but few legit right handed d after Hamilton. Hamilton’s age could affect him in a few years as well. Likely that one of the LD end up playing on their offhand a lot.

If we’re picking high I’d be looking to get one of the top wingers. If we’re outside of the top 10 and closer to the middle I’m looking at potential top 6 wingers and also RD that could be solid top 4 guys. If we took a RD high as well I would be happy with that. Hopefully we aren’t picking too high this year.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
No Gritsyuk, no Moynihan, no Thompson, no Wood, no Talavite.

And while the Devils have good depth at D, all of them are LHS.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
No Gritsyuk, no Moynihan, no Thompson, no Wood, no Talavite.

And while the Devils have good depth at D, all of them are LHS.
Should have Thompson. I don’t see any of the others as very likely to ever be NHL players. Wood won’t necessarily be here in 4-5 years time which is what I was thinking about. Same with players like Severson and Graves. They could be if they sign extensions. I also talked about the d situation.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah this felt a bit early, especially with the team hopefully on an upward trajectory. But figured we could use another conversation topic on off days.

ESPN+ has the USNTDP@Cornell exhibition from this past weekend in case anybody wants to put their scouting hat on. Most of the early lists seem to have 5-6 of the NTDP kids in the top 32.

Me in a parallel universe would have figured out a way to get to Michigan this weekend to catch the Wolverines on Thursday then the USNTDP host the Chicago Steel (Adam Fantilli, possible top 3 guy for 2023).

Well, I am going to write up Shane Wright, even though the Devils have like zero chance of getting him this year.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I wonder if Seamus Casey's size is enough to peg him down in the rankings. That guy has skill. If we somehow were in the spot to pick him, David Jiriceck has to be the pick. I haven't really decided who I like better between him and Simon Nemec. I'm getting tired of this draft thing honestly. I'll let Steve carry me from here out :laugh:

I am a huge fan of both Jiricek and Nemec. With the Devils organizational dearth at RD, I will certainly be writing a ton about both these bright young talents in the upcoming months.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
i think we're pretty set at C for the foreseeable future with nico, hughes, and mercer (if needed). but i'll always go BPA- if that's a center, so be it.

It is always always smart to draft centers, because they can 99% be converted to the wing. It's rare that this works the other way around. I would put C as the Devils second biggest position of need for the 2022 draft after the obvious hole at RD.

Clearly, Hughes/Hischier give the Devils a terrific 1/2 up the middle for the foreseeable future. Mercer would work very well as the future 3C, but he might be even more valuable as RW on the top two lines. I feel Pytlik and Bardakov offer very nice promise as future bottom 6 centers. Boqvist's star is beginning to fade a bit, unfortunately. I'd like to try him out on the wing, maybe his future is there. Salminen is another prospect I feel might be more suited to a wing than up the middle. I'm not really sure I consider Shlaine and Baumgartner legit prospects.

I'd like to see the Devils grab a top RD in the 2022 first round, as the draft looks very strong at that position. But I'd also like to see the Devils use some of their earlier picks on C and LW.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
It is always always smart to draft centers, because they can 99% be converted to the wing. It's rare that this works the other way around. I would put C as the Devils second biggest position of need for the 2022 draft after the obvious hole at RD.

Clearly, Hughes/Hischier give the Devils a terrific 1/2 up the middle for the foreseeable future. Mercer would work very well as the future 3C, but he might be even more valuable as RW on the top two lines. I feel Pytlik and Bardakov offer very nice promise as future bottom 6 centers. Boqvist's star is beginning to fade a bit, unfortunately. I'd like to try him out on the wing, maybe his future is there. Salminen is another prospect I feel might be more suited to a wing than up the middle. I'm not really sure I consider Shlaine and Baumgartner legit prospects.

I'd like to see the Devils grab a top RD in the 2022 first round, as the draft looks very strong at that position. But I'd also like to see the Devils use some of their earlier picks on C and LW.

Ya, pretty much this. We have plenty of options at C in the bottom 6, but top 6? It ends with Mercer. We need more prospects to fill the pipeline there. If Mercer slides to wing, then we have only Nico and Jack. That's not going to cut it.

I'm glad you agree with me that C is their 2nd area of need :)

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I think winger is our biggest need we should be looking at right now. Followed by RD. We have quantity and some good wing prospects but I think we’re really missing a top line game changer and I don’t see anyone in our system that is gonna be that. Holtz looks like a good complimentary goal scorer but I don’t think he’s gonna be something special who puts up anymore than 50-60 points and Mercer looks pretty good but more like a center. None of Bratt, Zacha, Sharangovich, Stillman, Kuokkonen, Foote, or Clarke look like players who are gonna be anything close to elite game changing wingers. Obviously if we have a really good season and contend for a playoff spot that’s gonna be hard to get but there still some good wing options available and if we end up picking high again there’s some really good options.

Well, if we're picking low, then we probably won't be able to get someone who clearly has 70+ point upside. The prospects in that range are always massive question marks. Even someone like Holtz who was picked high, it's uncertain if he'll hit his ceiling. I don't think you can just brush off Holtz as looking like a complimentary player before he's even played a single NHL game.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

i don't really disagree with any of that, but i always go BPA...especially in the first round. winger, defenseman, goalie, center, whatever.

even if i was drafting for need, which i wouldn't, as you mentioned we have two top 6 centers already in the lineup and a bevy of bottom 6 centers (who can be signed/acquired elsewhere without costing an arm and a leg anyway) in the pipeline. we need some talent at RD, i'm personally not at all concerned with our center depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad