2022 IIHF World Championships

Lehtonen

Jan 7, 2016
Finland

Former VGKer Schmidt.

Haven't seen Canada, Sweden potential lineups.

Karlsson declined invite for Team Sweden. Lehner is injured and Janmark UFA. But I assume there will be some guys representing Canada because McCrimmon said at the end of his press conference that there will be some players going to play in World Champs but we need to wait countries to announce their rosters. Pietrangelo needs gold for triple gold club so maybe he goes to Finland. Hopefully Theodore, Whitecloud, McNabb, Marchessault, Stephenson and Carrier too are in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vegan Knight

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
USA - Latvia starts 6am PT NHL Network.

VGK's Canadian players are checking in on the team's Instagram (story).

Lehtonen

Jan 7, 2016
Finland

The VGK trio has two more games in the preliminary round before the elimination games begin. Canada will face Kazakhstan on Thursday before closing the round robin portion against Switzerland on Saturday.

Seems like VGK's reporters know something we else don't because they play also Monday and Tuesday against Denmark and France...

Thompson has been great in net. I was watching yesterday's match. He was named best player of Team Canada in that. In addition to that linked save above which reminded Fleury's save against Toronto, Thompson saved two breakaways from Slafkovsky and Sykora and also once robbed an opponent from the door step with his pads. He played like many times last season on Silver Knights jersey when he just was unbeatable and very athletic. I was happy to see that kind of performance from him live. Only goal against was a PP goal in front of the net when Severson directed the puck to own net between Logan's pads.

Whitecloud has been excellent to defend rush and win puck battles behind own net. He has played together with Chabot on 5v5 and also on second PK pair together with Sanheim. He is couple of times joined rushes but haven't got any good scoring chances yet from the second wave. Yesterday he shot twice from the blue line. First shot was a wrister which missed the net. Second one was a one-timer which Huska saved easily. Whitecloud's breakout passes have been pretty good even though he usually makes one or two bad passes per night but that is OK because Canada's game style is pretty similar to VGK. One forward leaves the own zone early and he is target on the offensive blue line. And when Canada's defender try those long stretch passes sometimes bad passes just happen and turnovers are reality. I have liked about Zach's skating. It is just so smooth to watch and with that kind of skating backwards it is also for him easy to collect speed for hits when preventing zone entries.

Roy has been versatile guy. He plays on the first line on the right wing with Dubois and Cozens. He is also part of first PP unit by playing either in the slot or in "Stone/Marchessault" role next to goal line in the deep. Cozens plays in left wall, Batherson right, Dubois in front of net and Severson on the blue line in that PP unit. Roy has got two PP assists. First one was against Germany when he was in the slot and directed Batherson's pass from the right wing towards the goal where was Dubois and puck went in from his skates. Second pass came against Slovakia yesterday. He won the puck battle behind net by protecting the puck very well. He passed the puck to corner for Cozens who dropped it to Dubois and his shot from the left wing went in from Slafkovsky's stick. Lucky goal but Roy was very strong behind the net. His only goal was against Italy. Dubois just passed to the net and Roy scored easily.

Roy has also played PK. He has been mainly Lowry's partner on the first PK unit. Severson and Graves are defender's behind them. Yesterday Roy twice in one shift stole the puck with stickchecking between the blue lines and was excellent to kill seconds from the clock. Also in the game against Germany Roy was very strong with his stick and backchecked the puck back for Canada 3-4 times. I have also liked his puck protection a lot. Like I wrote, Canada plays long passes to one attacker who waits on the offensive blue line. Roy has been in that role often. He buys very well time for others to join the attack and doesn't lose pucks in the neutral zone. Either he continues them to offensive zone towards for example linemate Cozens or then just holds puck one second keeping the defender behind his back and then passes to for example Dubois to the centre lane. But yeah, all three guys have played very well so far in their roles. Here are some photos and videos I took yesterday if you are curious to see:

This was the highlight of yesterday alongside Thompson's saves. Whitecloud absolute destroys Pospisil with his monster hit. However, referees gave him two minutes for roughing but that was still a beautiful hit. Something what Whitecloud must have been learned from McNabb... You can see the hit in the clip from 0:20 ->:

In this video Thompson gets his best player reward. Lovely moment:

And here is short video about Roy's role on the powerplay. In this game he played next to goal line instead of slot. He gives good pass to Severson who just misses the net with his wrist shot from the blue line.

Whitecloud in the warm-ups at this photo:

And finally Logan with his Golden Knights mask:

Lehtonen

Jan 7, 2016
Finland
Dirty hit from Meier to Whitecloud today. This looked even more dangerous live in the arena than from replays. Luckily Whitecloud was able to continue:

Canada lost 6-3. Thompson was not at his best. At least two goals went easily in. In the first period Kukan shot from tight angle on the PP and puck went in under his arm. In the second period also on the PP Hischier's wrist shot from right dot without traffic in front went in above his blocker. Of course Thompson also saved couple of 2v1 situations and robbed Kurashev once in front of net but still I fear he might have lost his number one goalie position after today's performance.

Roy had couple of shots on PP but otherwise he was pretty dull. He was on ice when Lowry scored short-handed breakaway. Whitecloud was again great to win puck battles behind own net and won foot races to dump-ins against Swiss players. I also liked his passes to the neutral zone. They were accurate today. Zach had one one-timer chance in the last period but Swiss goalie saved it with his pads. All in all, solid game from Zach even though he was on ice when Switzerland scored some goals. Only big mistake was failed clearance during PK and seconds after that Hischier scored GWG but like I wrote Thompson should have saved it.

Reactions: theslatcher

Lehtonen

Jan 7, 2016
Finland
Quarter-finals day. Canada travelled to Tampere to face Sweden today. Thompson missed both Denmark and France games due to injury. He is day-to-day but if I had to guess, Driedger is in net today.

Roy has played three games in a row without points. He was moved from first line to third line. Against Denmark he was center but then against France again right winger when Lowry and Comtois where his linemates. I assume that line continues together.

Whitecloud scored his first points against France. I was at that match and able to see his beautiful solo goal live. Canada won 7-1. Whitecloud had also one assist:

Today for me it is time to go watch N. Schmidt live when USA and Switzerland play against each other in the evening game at Helsinki.

Reactions: Haguerbomb

Lehtonen

Jan 7, 2016
Finland
Sick comeback against Sweden, yes.

And yesterday Canada was solid in the semi-final beating Czechia 6-1. Whitecloud had one secondary assist to the last goal and +2. Roy had 0+0, +0 but he was on the ice when Canada scored GWG on the powerplay. And it was still good game from Nic because he was really careful with the puck once again on the neutral zone and was able to direct all pucks to the deep towards his linemates Lowry and Comtois. I also liked his PK effort and skating looked smoother than in previous matches.

On the other hand, Whitecloud made three big mistakes and wasn't at his best despite good statistics. In the first period he took double minor for high-sticking against Pastrnak and CZE scored its only goal on PP. He also mishandled puck on the offensive blue line and CZE got 2v1 attack but Vrana shot one-timer past the net from the right wing. In the late 2nd period Whitecloud slept in the neutral zone and Vrana got a breakaway when he got behind Zach but luckily Driedger saved Vrana's shot from close range with his pads. However, Whitecloud's skating looked really good and his first steps were really powerful. I also liked his accurate passes. He played pretty carefully and didn't attacked as much in previous games.

But yeah, soon it is time for a final. Team has arrived already to the rink. Good luck for both teams:

Lehtonen

Jan 7, 2016
Finland
Whitey scored a goal in an OT loss to Finland in the final.
Beautiful shot to bottom top corner where Whitecloud usually shoots when he scores:

Compared to semi-final game, Whitecloud was excellent. He had couple of lost battles near the boards against Armia but otherwise he was solid defensively and contributed also in the attack. When last time VGK players played in WC final 2019, Theodore scored only goal for Canada so this was second final in a row where VGK defender scored when there was a player from Golden Knights in the final roster. Of course last year all VGK players were part of NHL playoffs during WC.

But when it comes to Roy, his night was a disaster. First 40 minutes Roy was also excellent and was able to continue again all pucks to the deep from the neutral zone. His performances with the puck were safe. But in the third period he lost two critical face-offs in the defensive zone and Finland scored immediately after those losses. And he was also on the ice during GWG. Once again he lost two face-offs during PK shift and after the latter one Finland scored soon. So, three out of four goals that Finland scored happened after Roy's face-off losses. He won only four draws and lost eleven. Lowry's record was 7-0 so maybe Julien should have used Lowry as a lone PK forward instead of Roy who couldn't win critical face-offs yesterday unfortunately.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Caught the very end of the game. I thought Roy was great on the 4 on 3 PK before the GWG. ROR is one of the best face off guys and he got dominated in game 6 the other day. It happens.

There's only so much you can do when Chabot takes a really dumb penalty to give all that open space in OT (which should have been offset when he his leg was grabbed to trip him).

It's too bad Thompson got hurt. Now all 3 goalies are hurt during the summer. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited:

Lehtonen

Jan 7, 2016
Finland
I thought Roy was great on the 4 on 3 PK before the GWG. ROR is one of the best face off guys and he got dominated in game 6 the other day. It happens.
I agree somehow. Like in the semi-final, I liked how fast he can switch sides and return to his original position after overloading one side which happens often in aggressive PK system. But if you lose so many D zone draws than Roy did, you have to be critical for him. He was TOP11 in the face-offs statistics after round robin but also in the semi-final already his record was 3-5 and Roy was in trouble against Hertl in many draws so unfortunately his level of play in face-offs dropped in two of the most important games of the tournament. But that what happens sometimes like you wrote. And like I wrote, otherwise he played great in the final. But when it comes to that GWG, Granlund's pass to Manninen went through the PK trio. I don't know exactly what were responsibilies because Roy's stick pointed towards Heiskanen on the blue line and then he switched it to towards center just a little bit late when Granlund had just passed to Manninen. If Roy had turned his blade of stick 0,5 seconds earlier, that last pass wouldn't have gone through the trio. Maybe Roy was informed to prevent passes from MG to Heiskanen instead of MG to Manninen. I don't know but that was also one detail what caught my attention.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Caught the very end of the game. I thought Roy was great on the 4 on 3 PK before the GWG. ROR is one of the best face off guys and he got dominated in game 6 the other day. It happens.

There's only so much you can do when Chabot takes a really dumb penalty to give all that open space in OT (which should have been offset when he his leg was grabbed to trip him).

It's too bad Thompson got hurt. Now all 3 goalies are hurt during the summer. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
I'm going to find our who has the VGK goalie voodoo doll and make a voodoo doll of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad