Player Discussion 2022 IIHF U20 World Junior Championship Thread -- Tournament cancelled

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Only 13 days until the tournament begins, hosted in Edmonton and Red Deer, with the usual fun to be had by all.

The Sabre contingent at this year's U20:

- Owen Power, LD, Team Canada
- Isak Rosen, F, Team Sweden
- Jakub Konecny, F, Team Czech
- Nikita Novikov, LD, Team Russia

Also of note will be some of the 2022 draft class like Wright, Jiricek, Slafkovsky, Nemec, Cooley, Lambert, Kemell and Miroshnichenko. And of course Bedard and Michkov are going as a sort of "coming attractions" for 2023's draft.

Schedule
2022 IIHF WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP SCHEDULE
Sunday, Dec. 26

Finland 3, Germany 1
Sweden 6, Russia 3
Canada 6, Czechia 3
United States vs. Slovakia (Red Deer), 9:30 p.m. ET
Monday, Dec. 27
Austria vs. Finland (Edmonton), 2 p.m. ET
Russia vs. Switzerland (Red Deer), 4:30 p.m. ET
Germany vs. Czechia (Edmonton), 7 p.m. ET
Sweden vs. Slovakia (Red Deer), 9:30 p.m. ET
Tuesday, Dec. 28
Switzerland vs. United States (Red Deer), 4:30 p.m. ET
Austria vs. Canada (Edmonton), 7 p.m. ET
Wednesday, Dec. 29
Finland vs. Czechia (Edmonton), 2 p.m. ET
Slovakia vs. Russia (Red Deer), 4:30 p.m. ET
Canada vs. Germany (Edmonton), 7 p.m. ET
Sweden vs. United States (Red Deer), 9:30 p.m. ET
Thursday, Dec. 30
Czechia vs. Austria (Edmonton), 4:30 p.m. ET
Slovakia vs. Switzerland (Red Deer), 7 p.m. ET
Friday, Dec. 31
Germany vs. Austria (Edmonton), 2 p.m. ET
Switzerland vs. Sweden (Red Deer), 4:30 p.m. ET
Canada vs. Finland (Edmonton), 7 p.m. ET
United States vs. Russia (Red Deer), 9:30 p.m. ET
Sunday, Jan. 2
Quarterfinal 1 (Edmonton), 2:30 p.m. ET
Quarterfinal 2 (Red Deer), 5 p.m. ET
Quarterfinal 3 (Edmonton), 7:30 p.m. ET
Quarterfinal 4 (Red Deer), 10 p.m. ET
Tuesday, Jan. 4 (Edmonton)
Semifinal 1, 3 p.m. ET
Semifinal 2, 7 p.m. ET
Wednesday, Jan. 5 (Edmonton)
Third-place game, 4 p.m. ET
Championship game, 8 p.m. ET

Last edited by a moderator:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Really disappointed JJP isn’t going, but after last year, he maybe doesn’t need to prove anything.

I was intrigued by how the Germans prefaced him staying in the AHL as good for his future development. They do seem very interested in fulfilling on their vision of becoming a hockey power and for that, they will need NHL-level pro talent as well as continuing to build their youth development and coaching base. But yeah, all of "Team Full Cage" not being there is a damper on the fun.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I was intrigued by how the Germans prefaced him staying in the AHL as good for his future development. They do seem very interested in fulfilling on their vision of becoming a hockey power and for that, they will need NHL-level pro talent as well as continuing to build their youth development and coaching base. But yeah, all of "Team Full Cage" not being there is a damper on the fun.
It would have been more intriguing if they said they were pissed that Buffalo wouldn't release him from the AHL.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Anyone know if there will be an option to stream the WJC on nhl.com through nhl network?
I pulled this from another thread.

Does anyone know about streaming options?

Wish it is available on ESPN+

Reactions: jc17

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Him and Kisakov not being invited is a reflection on how they have both slumped after an initial burst.
It's not unusual being 18yo getting >5min a game on the 4th line in the 2nd best league in the world. Once the rosters filled after preseason their minutes plunged. They should get sent to the VHL for bigger minutes

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don’t feel like Kisakov is slumping, he has the same points as last season in 11 fewer games and has scored 9 more goals.

I think you are looking at his totals from two years ago. Last year he was second in the MHL in points (73) and goals (36).

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
FUBO, Sling and DirectTV all have NHL Network. None of them are free however.
I have nhl network through spectrum. Do they let you stream with a cable log in?

I'll be out of town so I won't be nearv the TV but still hoping to catch games

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have nhl network through spectrum. Do they let you stream with a cable log in?

I'll be out of town so I won't be nearv the TV but still hoping to catch games

Probably if you can record things for on-demand viewing. Might want to dig into their website for that and maybe test it out beforehand though.

Reactions: jc17

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

if there wasn’t the Olympics this year hed be in the WJC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad