Who is the Devils' #6 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
There's always gonna be prospect here or there that feels more like an NHL regular and vice versa. There's no way around it, so just pick a line and stick with it, IMO. If Kevin Bahl is the only play we're concerned with, it's not much of an issue.

EDIT: Also let's call this before Okhotyuk gets any more votes. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I picked Brennan. He was one of the top ranked goalies in this year's draft and has potential to be a starter. I think some people are ranking Zetterlund and Ohotyuk a tad hugh because they are close to being NHLers as opposed to other guys like Brennan , Casey & Daws.

Reactions: nugg

NJ Devil

Jul 22, 2022
Feel like Zetterlund is a recency bias pick in the sense that.. before a year ago, nobody would have had him in the top-10.

Some dead-of-the-season production on top of turning 24.. I dobt see how hes a better 'prospect' than some of these 21yo's doing just as well

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Feel like Zetterlund is a recency bias pick in the sense that.. before a year ago, nobody would have had him in the top-10.

Some dead-of-the-season production on top of turning 24.. I dobt see how hes a better 'prospect' than some of these 21yo's doing just as well
He mae a significant jump in his play. I've watched games of his on and off since he was drafted. He used to be a guy that didn't do much but once or twice a game he'd grab the puck and rocket up the ice for a breakaway. He's a much more mature player now and can pass and shoot and go to the net. He played well in his NHL games. I agree that he's likely a bottom six guy but at least on the eye test he's light years better to me than he was in past years.

PizzaAndPucks

Nov 29, 2018
He mae a significant jump in his play. I've watched games of his on and off since he was drafted. He used to be a guy that didn't do much but once or twice a game he'd grab the puck and rocket up the ice for a breakaway. He's a much more mature player now and can pass and shoot and go to the net. He played well in his NHL games. I agree that he's likely a bottom six guy but at least on the eye test he's light years better to me than he was in past years.
When I saw Uitca play the Wolfpack in Hartford , Holtz was hurt that game and was out of the lineup that night. Zetterlund was the go to guy on offense and played the role of triggerman on the powerplay too. Granted it is the AHL but he put up points both games I went too and just looked like a really talented player and stood out to me. At the NHL level he hasn't looked bad either. I'm not sure what his NHL potential is because he is a pretty well rounded player and he also add strength to the line up. NHL.com has him listed at 5'11 220lbs , that is a kid who has some good size to carve out a bottom 6 role.

Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
When I saw Uitca play the Wolfpack in Hartford , Holtz was hurt that game and was out of the lineup that night. Zetterlund was the go to guy on offense and played the role of triggerman on the powerplay too. Granted it is the AHL but he put up points both games I went too and just looked like a really talented player and stood out to me. At the NHL level he hasn't looked bad either. I'm not sure what his NHL potential is because he is a pretty well rounded player and he also add strength to the line up. NHL.com has him listed at 5'11 220lbs , that is a kid who has some good size to carve out a bottom 6 role.
I don't see the stick handling or the vision to be a top six guy but the shot and the speed and the effort and sandpaper are certainly there. Maybe he can top out like a less skilled Coleman type of player?

Reactions: PizzaAndPucks

PizzaAndPucks

Nov 29, 2018
I don't see the stick handling or the vision to be a top six guy but the shot and the speed and the effort and sandpaper are certainly there. Maybe he can top out like a less skilled Coleman type of player?
The NHL squad needs more versatility and he seems like someone who can bring some of that.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

Let's not undersell how he played. 8 points and 36 shots in 14 games while driving play, not looking out of place next to Hischier, and bringing a physical element everyone's been clamoring for.

What age do you think Coleman was when he had his breakout season in Albany? How'd he turn out?

NJ Devil

Jul 22, 2022
Let's not undersell how he played. 8 points and 36 shots in 14 games while driving play, not looking out of place next to Hischier, and bringing a physical element everyone's been clamoring for.

What age do you think Coleman was when he had his breakout season in Albany? How'd he turn out?
I wasnt insinuating that Zetterlund cant be anything for us or that its too late for him to keep growing. Im rooting for him and I liked how he played this year in both the A (stat watching) and NHL

But when Im looking at all of our prospects against each other, my biggest value put on them is their ceiling/potential. And Id argue an Ohkotyuk has further to go while having shown more earlier, or that a Seamus Casey has much higher potential and was held in much higher regard pre-draft.

Really the only people Id take over Zetterlund are Ohkotyuk and Casey, but outside them I do really like Nico Daws' potential as well. So Id have him higher too.

Heres to hoping Fabian Zetterlund shuts me up and earns himself a spot going forward in camp.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020

The name of the game with these young players is development, so the most recent season is always going to be more important than anything else when evaluating these players. Players like Bratt and Sharangovich are good examples of this considering both guys were fairly mediocre in terms of production earlier in their development before exploding onto the scene later on.

Zetturlund was one of the best players on an extremely good Utica team and then followed that up by being one of the better performers during his NHL stint and showed off a very good and well rounded skillset in the process with speed, skill and a bit of physicality. He's also only 22 right now and won't turn 23 until the end of the month.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Zetterlund turns 23 later this month.

He had a knee injury in late October 2018 so he was out for much of his 2018-19 season.

Then his first season in NA was cut short, so he only played 46 AHL games. And was coming back from that knee injury.

Unfortunately 2020-21 was a disaster for prospects. Zetterlund played with a random HockeyAllesvenskan team for 21 games and then played 34 games in the fake shitty AHL season. That’s more hockey than a lot of guys outside of the NHL got to play but it wasn’t exactly ideal.

I posted this except from his Hockey Prospects Black Book 2017 scouting report before. They basically nail him dead on:

Zetterlund was ranked 176 in 2017 (out of 217) and is described as “an explosive skater who can generate very good top speed”.

“This speed is his best asset, as he consistently is stretching the ice or attacking the net, forcing the opposition to defend. In viewings this season he found himself on a lot of odd man rushes, and was a player who seemed around the puck on most shifts. He combines this speed with a very good motor, as he has a strong desire to retrieve pucks and forecheck. Another asset that helps his forechecking skills is his ability to change directions, and stop and start.”

They mention him playing bigger than his 5’11” height “as he has no trouble using his body to drive to the net and protect the puck”.

“He has a quick release that can surprise goalies and can score from a distance. As well, he can shoot the puck when at top speed and get the puck up quickly around the net.”

The best quote might be “Fabian’s best offensive asset is his feet and his other skills are complementary”.

“Sometimes when he drives the net, he looks out of control and his feet may move quicker than his mind and hands can keep up, but he still manages to create quality shots.” Still true lol.

“Zetterlund needs open space and time to take advantage of skating skills to produce offense. He’s not as impactful offensively in the cycle game or in tight areas. His on-ice vision with the puck allows him to make easy plays but he has not shown that he can create quality chances for his teammates on a consistent basis. Overall, Zetterlund can be an impactful player at the next level as a third or forth liner because of his speed, work ethic and good forechecking skills.”

This scouting report did a good job capturing his limitations while also showing where his strengths were, then showing how the latter could get him to the NHL. And Zetterlund has really developed with those strengths in full force, he knows the kind player he is and what he needs to do.

I’ve seen him live in both NHL & AHL games, he’s a freight train to the net, is a an excellent forechecker and a real pest. He has real upside in a bottom six role.

I don’t know what multiple 21 year olds you’re comparing him to. Even Okhotiuk is less of a sure thing to me, though I certainly understand voting for him.

I voted for a 21 year old who’s less of a sure thing too, Daws, but I have goalie PTSD.

Tyce Thompson is month older than Zetterlund. He did miss the year with the shoulder injury, so it’s hard to compare their development. He was a man possessed at Development Camp, I assume he’s going to come out guns blazing in camp. Unfortunately for him it likely makes the most sense to send him to Utica because he’s waiver exempt.

Foote is an interesting one, I think he will take a big step this year. That’s more of a theoretical hope right now though lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad